Thread: Traditional Shaolin Curriculum

Traditional Shaolin Curriculum

I know i am probably starting off a thread that has already been flogged to death. but i wasnt able to find it, or neway else on the net for that matter, so i was wandering is there a set group of standard shaolin sets, not chinwoo, but shaolin. I know that there is XiaoHong Chuan and Da Hong Chuan but what other forms, and in what order do you people practice them, in my search i have seen many forms most of which are probably the same with different names, and then there is wushu, and an infinite amount of mcdojos peddling im gonna kick ur ass chuan as authentic shaolin. So could people please help just to sort it in my own head If you dont know for sure, then put your own forms list up and i suppose we could pick out the common denominators, that which has been around the longest must surely have travelled the furthest being the logic. Thanks
    Do not weep; do not wax indignant, understand.

It really depends on the teacher (and subsequently the student). I'm sure that some of the songshan guys will give you a sample list.

jiebegong
    wubu
    xiaohongchuan
    etc.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

im gonna kick ur ass chuan is a shaolin favorite

There's plenty of different curriculams for Shaolin. Just because it doesn't match with what's happening at Songshan Shaolin, does not mean it has no validity. Bak Sil Lum is a perfect example - according to their history, they left the temple long ago. That's still valid as authentic Shaolin. There are other Shaolin systems that are also equally valid. Here's an e-zine article I did that addresses your question to some degree.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

exactly as everyone said...

read all 3 pieces of that article series gene wrote. many schools will share several of the forms gene listed in that 'ten list' but then differ depending on what each monk learned from his specific teacher.

i'll give you an example of a general order we do forms at my school:
    lohan shi ba shou
    lian huan quan
    xiao hong quan
    ba bu lian huan quan
    zhao yang quan
    yin shou gun (staff set)
    chang quan
    tong bei quan
    da hong quan