Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone been to Bullshido?

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish

More nonesense. One of the overriding themes there is: It doesn't matter WHAT your train...it's HOW. You just happen to be in the unfortunate position of training in an art that is TRULY FAMOUS for patty cake slapfighting and I don't recal you doing much to dispell that impression. There ARE a couple posters over there who do WC who are fully respected. All you really have to do is show up to a throwdown and spar and then no one will really give a rat's a$$ what style you do anymore but will deal with you as an individual instead.

"But alas, their views are apparently not the same as YOUR views, since you're seemingly seperating yourself from those that do the trash talking."

How am I separating myself from it? I started a thread over there ridiculing your little pout-fest over here. But more specifically, what views? What views of mine are different from "theirs". (as if it was the borg or something rather than a collection of individuals each with their own views.)

"Are you saying that they are wrong in saying that MT and BJJ are the two best arts?"

"They" said no such thing. I think maybe Antony feels that BJJ is the best art and Thaiboxeren may feel that way about Muay Thai but other than that you will be extremely fard pressed to find ANYONE with such a narrow view. It's really kind of amazing how insecurity can make you hear things. It just so happens that 95% of the time I would MUCH rather be associated with the MMA crowd than with the TCMA crowd. You assume far too much and are making a lot of dumb excuses for your rude reception ver there.

Oh wait...aside from them using TV and the internet clips as their only means of proof....

....and personal experinces, meeting up with other board members, tournament records and waitaminute, what are "they" trying to prove?

When you've collectred your self and the emotional trauma subsiudes a bit maybe you can look back on what actually happened and .... ah...I doubt it.
    I too, would rather be associated with the MMA crowd, cause, like, ya know the TCMA people are like ***s right?

Omar, get a grip man.

Vankuen if you don't like the mode of discourse on BSdo than do what I do, don't go to that site. There are plenty of other Martial Arts forums on the web. Omar I want to appologize if my initial post may have inadvertently painted you with a tarry brush; I will revise my comment to say that there are altogether too many style snobs who vociferously attack any TMAist who speaks up in support of their arts on that site for me to want to participate, I avoid forums that just usually make me mad.

It's one thing to debunk McDojos but a lot of the people on that forum (not all) can't tell the McDojos from the legitimate schools.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I'm taking it up with them there....since they seem to have their feelings hurt by my posting this here. (Though they've complained themselves about the crapplers and the pretenders there....)

And just to make sure they don't get THEIR feelings hurt anymore :

"Not ALL of the people there are posers. Happy?" -Vankuen
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

There is, I might point out, a not very fine line between "having hurt feelings" and "mocking you". At the moment, the general consensus on Bullshido is firmly in the 2nd category.

For the record, since I do JKD Concepts, I technically do Kung Fu.

*neener neener neener*

Quote Originally Posted by Grond
    I too, would rather be associated with the MMA crowd, cause, like, ya know the TCMA people are like ***s right?
    In a nutshell....yes, that's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Asia
    LMAO!!!!!

I love how pple always go BULLSHIDO ONLY LIKES BJJ AND MT. They fail to mention the ALL the staff, including the owner, are CMArtist as well. (oh they also forget they are members of other boards.)

BTW BAJI! > Wing Chun!!!
    I think Bullshido brings that on itself.
    I've noted a lot of Bullshido stalwarts visiting other boards just to preach the gospel.
    It's not so much what is said, but the manner.

It's ironic that Bullshido members feel they are getting raw delt, when they don't respect other boards when they come a calling.

I think you'll find a fair few senior members here, are also long term members of Bullshido.

There are exceptions to every rule of course.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    OMG, some body got a DNA sample from the burnt carcass of the last dead horse, separated the live cells, cloned another horse, watched it grow, let it come to maturity and then
    PROCEEDED TO BEAT IT TO DEATH , AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Its not whether any particular style is preferred over at bullshido. Its the large amount of kids on the boards. We get them here periodically too. And there are a few grappling snobs like aesopina and shumagorath which have a tween following. As to the throwdown, I've yet to see much of anything beyond intermediate skill. Except for Asia perhaps.

There a quite a few people over there that do think kung fu does work.

But there are the balance of those that have a major stick up their butts. But they are not all MT or BJJ. Quite a few are karateka. And some are just parrots.

Check out the "How long in ma"thread(general board) for an idea of the readership.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel
    Its not whether any particular style is preferred over at bullshido. Its the large amount of kids on the boards. We get them here periodically too. And there are a few grappling snobs like aesopina and shumagorath which have a tween following. As to the throwdown, I've yet to see much of anything beyond intermediate skill. Except for Asia perhaps.

There a quite a few people over there that do think kung fu does work.

But there are the balance of those that have a major stick up their butts. But they are not all MT or BJJ. Quite a few are karateka. And some are just parrots.

Check out the "How long in ma"thread(general board) for an idea of the readership.
    So far, aside from those that have PM's me and those that have left some constructive criticism, all I've found are parrots. Now they think that I've somehow been offended and I'm hurt, or that I say one thing here and something different there....little do they know the flak that people like me and Victor and Dale and Terence all take for even mentioning anything about progressive resistance training. They were hurt so much by it, that they made ANOTHER thread dedicating it to me...and even threatened my membership there. Whatever. I told them that "if I go to a resturaunt with bad service...you're **** right Im going to tell my friends about it...." I don't see the big deal.

At least here, people are a bit more mature about things. Although it is nice not to have to worry about spelling "mf" out.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    There is, I might point out, a not very fine line between "having hurt feelings" and "mocking you". At the moment, the general consensus on Bullshido is firmly in the 2nd category.

For the record, since I do JKD Concepts, I technically do Kung Fu.

*neener neener neener*
    Are you drunk again? Technically you do modified wing chun, mixed with boxing, fencing, and joint locking, filipino martial arts and whatever else your teacher threw in.

You know what's ironic? A few of the founding, and many of the long-time members of Bullshido originally came from these forums. Asia, KC Elbows, even our pal Rudy here, among others, are all active members over there.

Nobody of any consequence at Bullshido bags on Kung Fu or CMA just because they are Kung Fu or CMA. Styles aren't our concern, it's inferior training methods that we go after for the most part.

If you're standing in pretty little lines doing drills and never spar each other non-stop with hard contact, you're probably being taught garbage. At least, you'll never know whether or not you are because you never fight anyone in the dojo.

Does this touch close to home for many Wing Chun guys? Of course it does, but not all of them.

Anyway, welcome to Bullshido.

-------

Hi Gene!

Is that article by that fruitcake about his ninja assassin escapades still up here?
    Last edited by Phrost; 02-27-2005 at 08:16 PM.

Funny how this comes on this forum and not the other. Is this a PR thing? Anyway thanks for the welcome. Like I said to you guys on your forum....I call it like I see it. Can't really complain about that because that's the way it really is...

At least you're standing by your people, as unruly as they are. That's commendable.

Ahem,

"Mr." Phrost, your name starts with a "D", I assume. I don't know you well enough to feel comfortable enough to use it. And, I respect your decision not to use it publicly. I would thank you to return the favor.

There is nothing wrong with doing drills in a line if the later is also true. And this is the crux of the problem, if any, at bullshido. Some people, in the effort to bring truth to MA, tend to throw out the baby with the bath water. And from what I've seen so far it certainy couldn't hurt some on that board to do a few drills.

Notice I said some. There are plenty that have experience beyond the fan boy level. There are plenty that do CMA. Although some, for some unexplained reason, are the biggest loudmouths and irk the largest amounts of people yet they have 12 varrots to their credit and seem to have an unless supply to give out. (rep points) That has always been a mystery to me. Some even have more than the moderators. And with post counts over 10000, I wonder when they have time to train at all.

Bullshido, although well intended, is not perfect in its mission. It is not unbiased. It is not immune to propaganda. And sitting in judgement are some people that are not qualified to do so. Mob rules?

Bullshido is a good forum. A lot of people over there know their stuff but like any online forum there is going to be some garbage. You just have to weed it out.

I also enjoy the drama over at bullshido. Some pretty entertaining stuff sometimes.

I think it's pretty cool that Phrost posted over here.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Things tend to be dying down...apparently it's a hazing ritual of some kind, and that I'm supposed to know who to listen to and who not to.

In any case the good one's are coming out of the woodwork...a lot of them are still a-holes though.

But holy crap what a difference in attitude....

"There ARE a couple posters over there who do WC who are fully respected. All you really have to do is show up to a throwdown and spar and then no one will really give a rat's a$$ what style you do anymore but will deal with you as an individual instead." (omarthefish)

SHOW UP WHERE?

What place(s) are you talking about?

And when/how often do they have their events?