Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying equipment

Buying equipment

Question for you all...

I'll be buying some weight equipment for my school and have spoken to several of my students and it seems that the consensus is that we buy the following:

- Olympic bench
    - Olympic 300lbs set
    - Medicine balls
    - Dumb bells w/ rack
    - Interlocking mats for the weight area

Is there anything else that you guys would recommend we purchase?

Now, please keep in mind that this will mostly be used by my fighters so we're not looking for a full gym set-up. I'm trying to provide a good environment so my guys can save some money instead of going to a separate gym for their weight workout.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

How about a pullup and dip station and maybe some kettle bells or clubbells.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

"pullup and dip station" is this what you mean?

here

"kettle bells or clubbells"

Pardon my ignorance but I'm not too familiar with weight equipment, what are those?

pullup and dip station is a good idea.

Anything that can be done with kettle/clubbells can be done with dumbbells in my opinion, close enough to not warrant the extra money you spend on those when you could just purchase more weight for your dumb and bar bells.

I couldn't get to your link. Here's some pullup and dip stations. http://www.fit-senior.com/acatalog/F...ation_119.html

Red5 makes a good point about the kettle bells and clubbells.

Here's a good site to check out: http://www.crossfit.com
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I think we can fit one of them in the budget

Chief Fox - I like your pullup+dip link better! and thanks for the other link, it looks really informative.

Originally posted by red5angel

Anything that can be done with kettle/clubbells can be done with dumbbells in my opinion, close enough to not warrant the extra money you spend on those when you could just purchase more weight for your dumb and bar bells.
    Have you used kettlebells and clubbells? 'Cause I wouldn't quite put it like that. They might not be available where SaekSan is though.

I"m pretty sure he can get them in Wisconsin

No, I have not used club or kettlebells, because I use dumbbells instead

yeah, they are pretty expensive pieces of training equipment. I might recommend the adjustable kettlebell from www.uskettlebells.com for your class though. They are made in Rockford IL so you could even drive down and pick one up.

I think you can pretty much make a clubbell, but I'm sure it wouldn't be as nice as the premium version.

Ok, cool now I know what they are... I'll look into those as well although I'm still inclined to get the other equipment first, may purchase a kettle bell and club bell later.

Thanks FJ and Red!

Is there anything I should consider when buying the olympic bench?

I would just get a flat sturdy bench, with adjustable rack. I'm not sure what an Olympic bench is.

I like a bench that has variable heights on it for incline and decline bench. It's not as necessary unless your bodybuilding but it still helps to change things up from time to time. And you get sweet t!ts

fa_jing...

This is the olympic bench I'm currently looking at:

http://www.mcsports.com/product/inde...entPage=family

Power Rack ... or something that can hold a bar up for you when you wanna do heavy squats.

Also, you'll probably want more weight than 300lbs if you're gonna end up lifting heavy. Esp. if your 300lbs won't all fit neatly on your olympic bar.

FSY,

Not really sure we're going to go really heavy. We're looking to supplement the fighting program so besides the regular workout and bag work they have some weight equipment too nithing fancy just the basics (for now).

I'll take a look at power racks though, thanks for the info.