Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Translation Help!

Translation Help!

Hi Guys!

Can anyone tell me how to translate "narrow" or "compact" into Cantonese? As in "narrow body" or "compact body." Thanks!

Keith

Siu/Small vs. Dai/Big

Duen/Short vs. Cheung/Long

So then a lower side palm being called a "dai jeung" is actually being translated as "big palm"?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Originally posted by Vankuen
    So then a lower side palm being called a "dai jeung" is actually being translated as "big palm"?
    There are a lot of "dai"s. There is dai that means low, or to lower, hang, bend, or bow, and another dai meaning to drop, as liquids, or a drop (e.g., dai bong). Still another dai which means bottom, underneath, underside, (e.g., dai jeung), and another dai of similar meaning but different nuance of meaning as root, base, bottom of object. Each of these "dai"s is represented by a different character and some have different tones.

A good online reference is Online Chinese Tools. Be sure to check out the Character Dictionary there.

Regards,
    - kj
    "It's all related." - me

I know KJ...but it just sounded funny...BIG palm...
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

KJ sik se Kwangtung wa

Originally posted by Vankuen
    I know KJ...but it just sounded funny...BIG palm...
    Duh me. I'm lost without emoticons.
    - kj
    "It's all related." - me

Originally posted by reneritchie
    KJ sik se Kwangtung wa
    I haven't got a clue what that means, though my instincts tell me it either has something to do with intepreting the Cantonese dialect or extravagently decorating the Kunlun mountains in Jian Su province with my excellent vermillion horse.

Regards,
    - kj
    "It's all related." - me

Originally posted by reneritchie
    KJ sik se Kwangtung wa
    what the chun did you just say Rene?

now try this:

- say "diaper"
    - say dia... and stop before you pronounce the "per"
    - say dia... don't say the per... but say "Jeung" (palm in cantonese).
    - there you go, your low side palm - Dia-Jeung.

narrow is "Jark"
    body is "San"

don't think we Cantonese use the term "narrow body", "compact body" sounds better. Usually people say WC is "Duen Kiu Jark Ma" (short bridge narrow stance).

Originally posted by yylee
    what the chun did you just say Rene?

now try this:

- say "diaper"
    - say dia... and stop before you pronounce the "per"
    - say dia... don't say the per... but say "Jeung" (palm in cantonese).
    - there you go, your low side palm - Dia-Jeung.

narrow is "Jark"
    body is "San"

don't think we Cantonese use the term "narrow body", "compact body" sounds better. Usually people say WC is "Duen Kiu Jark Ma" (short bridge narrow stance).
    I have to jump in on this one yylee.
    I know you're a native speaker but you know that Cantonese has no R sounds like gerk (guek), tarn (tan), larp (lop), ect. Oh heck, I might as well add Bil (instead of Biu). One more thing, narrow is jaak
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Originally posted by kj
    Duh me. I'm lost without emoticons.
    - kj
    Rene asked if you know how to write in Cantonese. He probably should have said Chinese instead of Cantonese
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Originally posted by Phil Redmond
    I have to jump in on this one yylee.
    I know you're a native speaker but you know that Cantonese has no R sounds like gerk (guek), tarn (tan), larp (lop), ect. Oh heck, I might as well add Bil (instead of Biu). One more thing, narrow is jaak
    PR
    you know I grew up in a British colony, they pronounce Jark as Jaak after mixing Cantonese in their English. The R sound is totally gone.....

so does it make you feel bettaa?

Hi,

For what its worth 'da' is mandarin for big and 'xiao' is small.

Low side palm in cantonese would be 'dei wang jeung' I think.

All very confusing !

Stu

Ip Ching Ving Tsun in South Wales - www.swanseavingtsun.com

The real problem is consistent use of a recognised Cantonese romanization scheme. The PRC (mainland China) use Mandarin pinyin, but Cantonese romanization use is fragmented. Most HK people just use some kind of personalised made-up scheme which I think most closely follows Yale.

Originally posted by yylee

Thanks yylee! So then how does one say "compact body" in Cantonese?

Keith