Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips For First-Time Visitor to China

yeah stay away form street food.
    backpacks are good.
    worried about locks, get twisty ties.
    once you land in china and pick up your bags, lock em or twisty tie them until you get into the hotel.

i have found chinese in the big city of shanghai to be fairly rude. in hangzhou they were awesome and polite.
    make sure when you say nie how ma to girls you say ma right and dont mean horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

if you have some punks telling "MAGUA BU HOW" at you, get out of there quick.
    What's that mean?

I found street food to be fine. You'll get the sh!ts from something anyway so don't worry about that.

People will stare, don't take it personally. Smile.

Learn as much language (esp. food you like) before you go.
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

Regarding street food, I used to think it was fine as well. Then I found out that my cousin had a friend who was also in china at the time doing business. he ate some mysterious food, puked all night in his hotel room, and the next day he died. This was only several months ago. no BS. So take chances if you want, but I sure as hell wouldn't.

make sure when you say nie how ma to girls you say ma right and dont mean horses.
    How do you say "ma" right? How can you say it wrong?
    Must be the inflection? Say it like a question?

(Jebus, I sound like Murtaugh in Lethal Weapon trying to rap)
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Travel logs

You'll find a lot of travel logs on our e-zine including tales from myself, Shaolinlueb, Jonh Greenhow, Antonio Graceffo and Ving Tsun Museum tours. These are first hand accounts of China trips, specifically martial arts China trips, so you may find something useful in there. If nothing else, they are fun reads.

You know, I don't drink tap water in America anymore. It doesn't give me the runs; it just tastes bad, unless you're up in the mountains.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Originally posted by scotty1
    What's that mean?

I found street food to be fine. You'll get the sh!ts from something anyway so don't worry about that.

People will stare, don't take it personally. Smile.

Learn as much language (esp. food you like) before you go.
    It is actually 'mei guo bu hao'. 'mei guo' is the Mandarin term for American, and 'bu hao' means not good. So they are saying that America is no good, or that they don't like Americans.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Originally posted by tug
    How do you say "ma" right? How can you say it wrong?
    Must be the inflection? Say it like a question?

(Jebus, I sound like Murtaugh in Lethal Weapon trying to rap)
    There are four tones in Mandarin that can be applied to a word. Depending on the tone, the word has a different meaning. The word 'ma' can be used to indicate a question, or it can mean horse depending on the tone used.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

So, what's the difference in tone between the two?
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Originally posted by tug
    So, what's the difference in tone between the two?
    That is a technicality I cannot help with unfortunately. My knowledge of Mandarin is limited. Sorry.

Never had problem with 'ma'

Telling someone to eat chicken, now that can be a problem.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Re: Travel logs

Originally posted by GeneChing

You know, I don't drink tap water in America anymore. It doesn't give me the runs; it just tastes bad, unless you're up in the mountains.
    true that.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Re: Never had problem with 'ma'

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Telling someone to eat chicken, now that can be a problem.
    I cannot even think of what words you would use, let alone the tones requried

hey guys
    i witnessed some great stuff about asia lately so i thought id share, aight

i rented this movie, called Dodgeball, then i watched it and about 90% of it sucks
    so i checked my pc, i had finished downloading a japanese movie. yes, japanese movies are cool. I can never really undertand the dialogue, but i believe that art is something that crosses any language barrier.
    The movie i think when translated the title is "Water" somthing, i dont know. There wasnt any water reference on the movie, though there were plenty of milk references.
    here is how the movie went:
    A girl puts on her type of fairy costume and then goes walking the streets, searching for something. Then she finally hears the cries of some guys, finds out where they are... all in one office crying, she conforts them, talks nicely and all.
    I believe her mission is to save the people who are suffering so they can be happy.
    So next she makes them really happy and they all give her some milk
    Her next job is to free this guy being held captive by a bunch of dudes, so she fights them off... but they manage to defeat her and give her more milk, but i dont think she was hungry this time!!
    That was half of the movie, the rest ill get later

So, does China have a good movies production too?

Originally posted by MoreMisfortune
    hey guys
    i witnessed some great stuff about asia lately so i thought id share, aight

i rented this movie, called Dodgeball, then i watched it and about 90% of it sucks
    so i checked my pc, i had finished downloading a japanese movie. yes, japanese movies are cool. I can never really undertand the dialogue, but i believe that art is something that crosses any language barrier.
    The movie i think when translated the title is "Water" somthing, i dont know. There wasnt any water reference on the movie, though there were plenty of milk references.
    here is how the movie went:
    A girl puts on her type of fairy costume and then goes walking the streets, searching for something. Then she finally hears the cries of some guys, finds out where they are... all in one office crying, she conforts them, talks nicely and all.
    I believe her mission is to save the people who are suffering so they can be happy.
    So next she makes them really happy and they all give her some milk
    Her next job is to free this guy being held captive by a bunch of dudes, so she fights them off... but they manage to defeat her and give her more milk, but i dont think she was hungry this time!!
    That was half of the movie, the rest ill get later

So, does China have a good movies production too?
    Let me guess, they all squirted their milk on her face as a sign of appreciation?

I could be wrong, but you won't find many movies from China like this.

yeah, they gave her milk and she put it on a glass, then she drank it
    why do japanese film makers like the subject of milk so much on their movies, i wonder.

are you sure there arent any? not even independant productions?
    i like independant movies, theres a lot of creative freedom