Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bodybuilders are sick!

Bodybuilders are sick!

I mean that as a compliment…I read FLEX and other bodybuilding publications, so I knew pro bodybuilders did some seriously high-volume workouts, but the only time I’ve ever really paid any attention to a serious bodybuilder’s workout was last night…

I go in there an see this woman that has a pretty face (well, she did show some signs of juice) and huuuuuge guns…she was easily big and cut enough to be a top amateur and maybe pro…I mean I was afraid of getting my @$$ beat coz I kept looking over there…anyway I saw most of what she did…the workout she did would have made my arms sore for a month…in the time that it took me to do deadlifts (which involved about 5 minutes of just loading and unloading the bar), 3 other back excercises, and bicep curls, she did just biceps…

When I got there, she was doing barbell curls for what didn’t look like a tremendous amount of weight, maybe 60 lbs…and she’s using quite a bit of body English to get them up there…she did several sets of this with several forced reps and drop sets…then I saw here doing dumbbell curls…again she wasn’t lifting as much as I had expected and was doing forced reps and drop sets…she was really fighting and you could see it in her face…then she did concentration curls…then she did a few brutal sets of hammer curls…now I have listed 4 bicep exercises, which doesn’t seem like all that many, but she easily did at least 2 working sets of each with forced reps…she probably did other bicep exercises too, those were just the ones that I was able to look at without being too obvious…she spent at least 45 minutes on bis…I can’t believe people can do this…I don’t know for sure, but she looked like she was juicing…either way I have a lot of respect for her…crazy…
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

Re: Bodybuilders are sick!

Originally posted by Akhilleus
    I read FLEX and other bodybuilding publications
    First, stop.

Now.

Second, light your crotch on fire for such a transgression.

Third, run a search for any and all weight training, energy system training, or skill-related training methodologies in this particular forums archives.

Fourth, punch yourself in the nuts for that. Dayum. That's worse than wanting to get "toned."

Fifth, don't look at modern bodybuilders at the professional level as representatives of bodybuilding - the professional level is a mutant deviation from true bodybuilding, and weight training in general.

Sixth, repeat step four.

Seventh, remember the addage: "Train smarter, not harder." Increased volume as is suggested in bb'ing ad catalogues is unrealistic at the very best.

BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Dear Mr. Vash,
    If I interpret your post correctly, you feel that FLEX is a pretty sorry publication...in that regard sir, you are just flat out and blatantly correct...for every one legitimate training tip that I can find in FLEX, there is 100 pages of crap and the writers making a pathetic attempt to be funny...before last month, I had last read FLEX 5 years ago...I still remembered the horrific "Musclehedz" cartoons that appeared at the end of every edition...not one of them ever came even close to making someone crack a smile, but they did cause a lot of nightmares and people to go insane...well when I picked up FLEX again last month, I was saddened to see that MuscleHedz were still alive and well...only now the guy had stopped even TRYING to be funny...the headline will be something like: A bodybuilder tries to send an e-mail, and the guy will be like "Dang I can't reach my keyboard coz my lats are too big!" and the rest of the magazine is no better...it usually consists of the writers drooling over average looking fitness women...

As for your other points, I also agree with them (except the one to punch myself in the nuts, I really wish I hadn't done that)...I simply listed this anecdote because I couldn't believe how many sets the person did and I thought it might serve as inspiration to you guys...

EDIT: I'm really sorry to be sharing this, as I know how incredibly stupid it is...but it can help you too...Whenever I feel like the whole world is against me, I remember that it could be much worse, I could have been the guy that created something like this:

http://www.cafepress.com/musclehedz....?zoom=yes#zoom

There had better be some inside joke about this that is preventing the average person from finding it funny, but then the question becomes, why put it in a magazine in the first place? And even if this is based on a specific bodybuilder, that wanted to become a priest or something in real life, that only makes the whole thing slightly less sad, and certainly not any closer to being funny...

DOUBLE EDIT: OH my god! They are actually asking for money for this...and it's quite a bit of $$ too! ($45) so not only do you have this thing hanging on your wall, reminding yourself and everyone who enters your house that you have no dignity whatsoever, but you also get to pay someone for your loss of dignity!
    Last edited by Akhilleus; 02-14-2005 at 09:30 PM.
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

^ Bwahahahahaha
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

lol! Funny stuff.

Seriously though, it takes a s-load of dedication and discipline to be a good bodybuilder.

forced reps and drop sets on a consistent basis are the way of the bodybuilder, not the athlete.

OTOH, high volume work has it's place in powerlifting which is a pure strength sport. Usually you would cycle from volume to intensity. Check out this cycle: http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/80/

Originally posted by fa_jing
    OTOH, high volume work has it's place in powerlifting which is a pure strength sport. Usually you would cycle from volume to intensity. Check out this cycle: http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/80/
    Yay! 12 sets on your first day: (I think, is that sets x reps or reps x sets?)

Day 1 65%x8x3, 70%x5, 75%x2x2, 80%x1
    PS. I hear that Smolov's lifters use roids, so I'm not sure natties could make too much progress on that cycle.

What if someone is into natty light?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

What's that? Was that a joke? I missed it.

Originally posted by IronFist
    What's that? Was that a joke? I missed it.
    "Nattie light" is slang for "Natural Light", which is horse urine packaged in beer cans.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Natty Bo is pretty nasty too...that's what my dad drinks...but can we please stay on topic and get back to bashing musclehedz? They really do deserve it...

You used to be able to read Musclehedz for free online. I found it funny from time to time.
    Sorry bro...I just never got even one of them...nice avatar though...that boot rocks...

Did you know that MuscleHedz advertises itself as "Bodybuilding's Funniest Cartoon Series"? They must be so proud that they beat out all of those other "Bodybuilding Cartoon Series'"

But why don't you be the judge?

http://www.cafepress.com/musclehedz....?zoom=yes#zoom

And sorry guys, you can't steal these, cause they have 'sample' written from them...dang I guess I have to spend the $50...
    Last edited by Akhilleus; 02-14-2005 at 10:23 PM.

IronFist, its reps, then sets.

Originally posted by _William_
    IronFist, its reps, then sets.
    I think they do it the other way on their board to give it a Russian feel. Besides, 3 sets of 8 wouldn't make that much sense in a powerlifting cycle. I'm 99% sure the Smolov routine up there begins with 8 sets of 3.

Iron, it's reps then sets. You are looking at the preparatory cycle if you haven't squatted in a while. I jumped right to the "week #1" workout and tonight am going to begin week #2. The DOMS was incredible after the first workout of 9r x 4s @ 70%. Especially since I don't do high reps with squats. The second workout was really painful but I actually felt less sore afterwards as my body adjusted. I am only doing 3 days/week workout because of scheduling and because I don't get 9.5 hours of sleep a night as recommended. Far less actually. I haven't been using creatine because I want to see what my body is capable of but I feel the routine is really going to work for me. Tonight I'm starting week two with a 15 pound increase. My conditioning for volume squatting already feels much better, plus the extra reps really have caused me to pay close attention to form. Sometimes you have to rest/pause it to get the reps out.

I'm only going to be able to complete the volume portion of the routine before the deadlift/pullup meet. Afterwards I'll probably do the peaking routine.

It's not that I don't believe you, but I SWEAR I heard the Smolov cycle is 8 sets of 3.