Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: "If a CMAist would train with the same intensity as a boxer..."

I've been hit with Fa Jing. I was in the clinch. Allofasudden, it seems like I don't want to breath anymore.

No broken ribs. No liquidated spleen. No disenfranchised liver.

Strangler, you have no urge to learn of martial arts. You wish to spread the gospel of the internal, whilst not understanding the internal practices, and not considering the externals.

Now, don't go getting me wrong - I'm a karate guy. I do forms as a major part of my training, as I often have to practice alone.

but, every chance I get, I'm drilling techniques/applications against partners at varying levels of resistance, hitting the bag, or throwing the iron.

And, I use a specific method of striking power generation - chin ku chi. From the description of fajing, as relates to tai chi and hsing i, it is applied in the same way.

And I can hit people and have them not die. But, they hurt.

First step in filling your cup is emptying it.
    Last edited by Vash; 02-01-2005 at 09:44 PM.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Originally posted by Strangler
    the power internal styles use is fajing, which isn't developed by striking objects.
    Wow. So much wrong in just one sentence!
    Train Smart, Train Hard & Enjoy Every Minute Of It.

Kung Fu & Personal Training: ABActive.com

Indeed. I've got a video on my hard drive of a Chen Tai Chi player rocking the heavy bag (80lbs). Uses TC footwork, body movement, and BAM. Bag gets hit. Bag does not explode, burst into flame, or ovulate.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Regarding the fajing. I was just repeating what I read and heard about it on forums and articles, and what blacktaoist told me (because I asked him why he didnt display it in his fighting tournament clips sand he said theyre too dangerous).

Or it might have been Maoshan, don't rememebr exactly.

Originally posted by Vash
    Indeed. I've got a video on my hard drive of a Chen Tai Chi player rocking the heavy bag (80lbs). Uses TC footwork, body movement, and BAM. Bag gets hit. Bag does not explode, burst into flame, or ovulate.
    why don't you host it. You could always sue rapidshare.de

Speaking of old school boxing I just watched a biography about Jack Johnson (first black champ) called unforgivable Blackness and he was badass, strong, fit and he hit hard and fast. The clinch work was really interesting as the ref didn't seperate the boxers and they would hit from within the clinch posision.
    Last edited by Strangler; 02-02-2005 at 12:20 AM.

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    Let's see... It can't be used in competition. It sure can't be used against your training partners or else you'd have nobody left to train with. So, basically, it's never used, but somehow these guys "magically" know that it breaks bones and ruptures internal organs.
    LOL
    Well, got to agree with knifefighter here, as much as is may pain me to do so. The simple answer is that they don't know. The 1 in a milllion that actually has experience applying on that level might have some idea...So where are they?

Speaking of old school boxing I just watched a biography about Jack Johnson (first black champ) called unforgivable Blackness and he was badass, strong, fit and he hit hard and fast. The clinch work was really interesting as the ref didn't seperate the boxers and they would hit from within the clinch posision.
    that was a good documentary. I started a thread about it on the media forum. Dunno if you've seen it or not...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Cerebrus made a good point here:
    http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/y...267926;start=0
    the excerpt you quoted is correct. you don't build technique through sparring. you do however build it through shadow boxing, line drills, padwork, etc.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

So are you saying kung fu people should train like boxers but suing traditional techniques instead of the four punches? Or are you saying all kung fu people should just do sanda or boxing and forget their techniques and principles behind their styles?

you can hit the bag, pads, etc. without violating the principles of your style. So, yes, you can keep your pricniples and techniques (and there are more than four punches). you should be able to see your principles in application when you do san da.

By saying strengh is important and should be developed instead of internal power SevenStar your not disagreeing with me but with virtually the entire tai chi and possibly neija community as a whole.

nah. mutant warrior explained it very well in his post.

Why do you think push hands is taught in such a way as to not use force?

push hands is not fighting, is it? I can grapple without force, i can kick without force. When doing so, I am training other things pertinent to fighting, but not fighting itself.

WHy do you think the forms are done so slowly in tai chi?

Do you think that's the only way they train?

How can you say things like pushups, situps, running, and other excerises can't be done at home?

I didn't say that they can't be done at home. I'm saying that they are part of conditioning. fighters condition. If I'm training a fighter, I'm not gonna trust him to do it on his own - I'm gonna make sure he does it. We condition during training. on separate days, we will run - the coach will run with him or at least be present while it's going on. If my job is to make you a fighter, I'm going to oversee the whole process. When you train bjj, judo, thai boxing, etc. you are training in MAs that have a very competitive nature. competitions happen often, so you always need to be in decent shape. The whole class will not be push ups, situps, etc. however they will be present. The rest of the class will be various drills - pad work, technique drills, shadow boxing, etc. these drills not only build stamina and limb conditioning but also drill technique into you. there will also be sparring. It's really not all that hand to fathom.

Even on emptyflower those guys said that most of that stuff should be done at home and Felipe Bido said there is a student in hsi training group that ghe feels is lacking and should be kicked off because he never trains at home.

tell my bud felipe I said to come to this thread and I be he will agree with me. I agree that you should train outside of class. but, realistically, many people will not. that's why you train them in class as well.

and he also said his teacher meets with them only like twice a week and most of their training is done at home and they generally don't work on conditioning excersises when with their teacher. Shooter (tai chi guy who compete sin mma) says most of his training is done at home and by himself.

see above.

Even EvolutionFist on this forum not long ago said he lost a fight due to lack of conditioning and that was because his teacher didn't stress conditioning but technique in class and left the conditioning to the students at home since with old age there is no way you can ebat someone younger and mroe fit with conditioning.

that is a perfect example of my point. E fist isn't THAT old. his teacher doesn't stress conditioning though. This means that for his next fight one of two things will need to happen:

1. he will have to train that much harder on his own
    2. his teacher will have to spend more time conditioning him.

E has been training for a while. He knows more than enough techniques to use in a fight.

Even Djimbe the guy who got worked on the ground by the straightblast guys because lack of conditioning says conditioning isn't the big deal because once you get the techniques and principles down and specific power generation unique to your style than the conditioning can easily be done within a month on your own free time. I can give more examples from the chinese martial art community, this isn't something I just came up with.

you just posted about two guys who lost due to lack of conditioning. Why? because the conditioning wasn't up to par. That shows it's importance.

the power internal styles use is fajing, which isn't developed by striking objects. It is unique to only the internal styles and sopposevly with it you can tear internal organs.

supposedly... And with how much training? cann ALL internal exponents do it?

Ask Black taoist or Maoshan what he thinks about fajing (I already asked him on jarek's forum).

BT and maoshan both post here on occasion.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    the excerpt you quoted is correct. you don't build technique through sparring. you do however build it through shadow boxing, line drills, padwork, etc.
    WHat cerebrus said and any guy in that thread never mentioned modern boxing/mt stuff like padwork, shadowboxing, or any of that. Reread what he said, the core of xingyi (just as in yi quan) is standing, and meditation, as well as repetitions of hitting the air.

Mutant Warrior is on fire! lol

"The 1 in a milllion that actually has experience applying on that level might have some idea...So where are they?"

Maybe they don't have T3e Int3rn3t.

Strangler, there's a lot of propaganda about internal arts, which you seem to have bought into. Listen to Mutant Warrior. More conditioning is necessary!
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

than why in all articles onm internal styles and their training methods, and discussions on their forums besides maybe hitting a heavy bag or something of the sott, they never mention conditioning? And generally they always talk about standing and the five fists (xingyi).

Mate, what people talk about on the internet is not the be all and end all of internal martial arts.

Conditioing is a neccesary part of fighting, whether it's with an internal martial art or otherwise, end of story.

Doing an 'internal' is not going to stop you getting hit, but conditioning is what will stop you going down.
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

WHat cerebrus said and any guy in that thread never mentioned modern boxing/mt stuff like padwork, shadowboxing, or any of that. Reread what he said, the core of xingyi (just as in yi quan) is standing, and meditation, as well as repetitions of hitting the air.
    I wasn't commenting on what they use, only that he was correct in saying that technique is developed through sparring.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter