Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Assorted "fight" video clips

That's pretty funny.

Why ask a question if you're not going to accept the answer?

It's true that K and Lev probably don't let themselves get pulled into some of the hubbub that goes on in here...but kissing their behinds isn't doing much for your "ego" either.

If you really want to show how the thread could be, leave names out of it...especially ones that weren't involved in your issues.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I train with Savi, and there are no TWC schools that we know of in our area, and neither of us have extensive experience with TWC.

There is plenty of talk about how "similar" TWC and HFY seems to people... so it COULD BE that before Savi reached any conclusions about what TWC was or was not, he wanted to clarify first.

That would certainly fit within his personality... to clarify before making assumptions, that is.

-Levi

Originally posted by sihing
    I certainly hope not, and IMO the clip wasn't in any way a representation of TWC, but since most of the TWC guys think I no squat about what they do (since Cheung has only decided to reveal the true TWC since we left the organization 10 yrs ago, lol) then feel free to ignore this post.

James
    I have to interject here. The "true" TWC who knows, but Sifu's getting older and has really opened up with things that weren't shown in 1983 to the early 90's. Like the dummy form. Sifu has a video of the forms when he went back to HK so show his brothers at the VTAA the forms as YM taught him. The dummy form is different from what we'd seen before. I'm not saying that say what I know is better. I'm saying that I've been around since the very beggining and I've seen the differences. It's a whole different ball game. Loyality obviously pays off.
    PR
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 02-05-2005 at 12:33 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Originally posted by LC-NYC
    Does anyone know exactly who that monk is?
    Can anyone get that TKD vs Monk footage working here??
    Thanks
    I don't know his name he's not the Abbott of the whole temple but he's supposed to be the Abbot of the fighting monks. All Shaolin monks aren't martial artists. He taught some basic Shaolin kung fu classes to the TWC at the tour. there was a lot going on there. I think there are 2 VCDs of the Information exchange tour.
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I'm Sure Sifu moore is a nice and humble guy but what has been described in my opinion doesn't match what i see.

Firstly when someone spars in this fashion, i.e strike and quickly jump back, then its just like point scoring. Or one is respectful of the opponent and gets out after a hit as quick as possible, but the distance retreated is more like TKD sparring as one is wary of long range kicks. There is no way after the slap that Shannon could have continued the attack as he was already on the retreat which explains the high intensity of the slap, a forward or advancing slap doesn't feel or sound the same as the energetics are slightly different and it is obvious to an expereinced eye. An advancing slap is less of a 'slap' and is more controlled as its more of a strike, and is more closer to a palm strike and can be placed on an opponent with speed and control with the softest of touch (if desired) as the slap works on 'exposed angle' so there is not usually any resistance or obstructions.

I my opinion i personally cant see Sifu Shannon loosing his balance but i can see the stategy of simultaneous one strike and retreat.

Now its always a little sad to see this kind of reation from a Senior Monk, but i can understand what he did, otherwise what would be the alternative ? stand in front of the audience and praise TWC and say how effective it is against Shaolin !

originally posted by Phil Redmond
    OK What I didn't put up was. Sifu Moore standing while the monk touched him on certain parts of his body and saying he could have struc him here and there and would have hurt him with his Chi. I think that's self explanatory but if you need to see it I'll post. You'l be dissappointed though.
    Every video should be self explanatory, can the video alone represent what actually happened or does it require your explanation this is the point. This must be asked because what you say and what is seen do not exactly match.

Redmond Sifu, just as in the previous video you shared of the bareknuckle brawls the first person to strike was not necessarily the person in control of what was to follow. So watching this video we are reminded of how many times Ali or Tyson were struck first and then proceeded to win the fight. The video loses value in my opinion when you have to explain what coulda shoulda woulda been and that explanation is contrary to what the audience is watching. There is no disagreement with your explanation just trying to make a point. Put the video out and then answer the questions without feelings of attachment to the answers or the questions.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

Well, I posted it because I found it interesting and thought other would Period. What the video shows is Shannon Moore applying a lau sau and slap to the monks face. He saw distress in the monks face and retreated. MANY people who were there (even those outside of TWC) conveyed the same story. It's just a video I decided to post. There was no hidden agenda or anything. Like I said before I thought it would be interesting. So the next time I post a video I'll make sure to explain it clearly so there won't be any confusion. OK with you?
    1. "Saw distress in the monks face" , that is not evident in the video. 2. The intitial contact did not appear to be started by any official person or sound so who got the first strike in would seem to be pointless 3. There has been no explanation as to why Moore Sifu returns to fight after the Monk gestures to him to come in and Moore Sifu does just that only to retreat again. 4. The video is just that a video yet your explanation of it portrays the monks as mean spirited, egotistical and poorly trained in kung fu none of which is evident in the video so even if it were true why bring it up. Again Redmond Sifu, not to say you have an agenda hidden or otherwise just pointing out you might be better served to just post the video and answer the questions without all the character descriptions.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

In terms of what I could see of the friendly fight (my description) the monk looked better. More stable, more in control with movement despite facing a far bigger opponent, more forward moving.

Without wanting to sound nasty, and I know this wasn't a full out fight, the TWC chap was jumping in and out with very light, flicky-type slaps, and when contact was establish towards the end, W Cheung spoke up and stopped it.

Personally, the monk was more impressive than I thought he'd be.

The monk slapping the TWC guy's face on the second mpeg was funny, but, of course, kinda childish... respect to the TWC for not jumping on him after that.
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

FWIW and IMO only--

1.the video as any display of fighting or sparring is eminently forgettable.

2. the so called monk in that tourist center showed poor form in slapping Moore at the end.

3. Moore showed admirable restraint in not responding.

Joy says, "1.the video as any display of fighting or sparring is eminently forgettable."

Who you kidding... I know you can quote, punch for punch entire boxing bouts you've seen

A good few months back there was a Muay Thai chap who won some K1 event... it was beautiful. He hardly punched at all.... covered, dodged, swayed and ducked away from hundreds of punches and used the most amazing kicking skills to turn his opponent into someone who could barely stand up... I won't ever forget 'that' fight.

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

B & B- you talking to me?-missed your point- but this might help you
    with your wing chun withdrawal pangs:

* 2 lb. beef chuck
    * 1 tsp. salt
    * 2 onions, white or yellow
    * 2 Tbsp. lard or shortening
    * 2 Tbsp. imported sweet paprika (most important to use real hungarian paprika for ultimate flavor)
    * 2 bay leaves
    * 1 Qt. water
    * 4 peeled and diced potatoes
    * 1/4 tsp. black pepper

Cut beef into 1 inch squares, add 1/2 tsp. salt. Chop onions and brown in shortening, add beef and paprika. Let beef simmer in its own juice along with salt and paprika for 1 hr. on low heat. Add water, diced potatoes and remaining salt. Cover and simmer until potatoes are done and meat is tender. Prepare egg dumpling batter:

* 1 egg
    * 6 Tbsp. flour
    * 1/8 tsp. salt

Add flour to unbeaten egg and salt. Mix well. Let stand for 1/2 hour for flour to mellow. Drop by teaspoonful into Goulash. Cover and simmer 5 minutes after dumplings rise to surface.

Serve hot with dollops of sour cream.

Serves 6.

Yum Yum

Hey, Joy:

That sounds lovely! Can you make me some? I love food

Of course I was talking to you. My post followed yours and used the words "Joy says..." followed by a quote.

'tis a giveaway...

No Wing Chun pangs, but thanks for the recipe... though not needed as I have many variations. If you like the hot stuff I can always recommend some to you.

Originally posted by Phil Redmond
    Brutal
    http://www.free-element.com/wingchun/Gilbert_Yvel.mpg
    PR
    That was enjoyable!!
    He really knows how to use his knees.

Thanx

J
    Yo mama is so fat, she has jeans made by Jeep

Oh ya, well Yo mama is so fat, she has a blackbelt at McDonald's