how very odd that the issue isn't so important as to be brought up independent of this tragedy, it seems very opportunistic..
actually, I have brought this up before.

not meaning to be insensitive. just realistic.

TCB, I'm not downplaying the disaster. And I actually am a very compassionate person. This disaster is surely horrible for those involved.

i greatly favor education and awareness over war and natural disaster as a control measure.
so do I. just because I can say one thing that appears to be insensitive does not mean that I wish it to be so. It would be nice if education and awareness would be the answer. I just don't have any faith that humanity is going to save itself.

It is just my observation that modern humans can't get past the idea that we can expand and expand w/o natural disasters that have been occuring for millennium aren't going to affect us on a larger scale as we cover this planet.

Overpopulation may be a problem, but I don't see "downsizing" in this manner as a viable solution. For anyone who does, all I can ask is: Are you willing to step up to the front of that line with your family and help solve the overpopulation problem?
you seem to think that I'm looking at this situation as a proactive thing. I'm not suggesting that wholesale slaughter of innocent people is a viable means of population control. Only that when it does happen it's the universe's way of controlling something that is out of hand.

the only way I'm going to have children is to adopt. i don't feel the need to 'spread my seed'. there is no longer a biological necessity to do so. The best answer would be for all people to stop having babies and those that want children adopt from the pool of thousands of unwanted children that there are in the world.

also, what about the wildlife? the rats, the mice, dogs and cats?

It is about balance and 'the cosmos' (you may insert God, Yawheh, Jah, the 10,000 things or whatever you believe here) evening things out.