Page 39 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Chan Tai San stories

Thumbs down Can't we all just get along?

This is a bit ridiculous. It is obviously gotten out of hand. I posted to this forum so that we may all benefit/be entertained from stories or information about Grandmaster Chan Tai-San. Like I said before, you are not going to all meet up and have a fist fight, right? So let's just drop the name calling and slander and he said/she said. Keep in civil and let's talk about some cool stuff...ok?

And if you don't, I might have to visit each of you and use my death touch. I can't show it to you because you are not skilled enought. I can only use it my students, because they have been trained by me for years and can survive it! HA! (Now that's some craaaap you can make fun of! I've actually had people tell me sh*t like that! LOL)

Sifu Parrella
    www.nykungfu.com

Dont even bother wasting your energy responding, keep on with some more cool stories.

3. sifu ross, so basically what your saying is llama kung fu is superior to sanda but nobody has the patience and dedication to master it so sanda is superior to most people but the few who master llama could kick anyone's ass? If so do you belong to the few group who can fight using those traditional techniques or do you belong to the group that ends up looking like a kickboxer throwing sanda style kicks and boxing style punches and using western style footwork? by the way, how could your teacher reach this level of skill if as you say they had no sparring gear in his days of training or training gear? Also Im shure the army had cameras in the 40's and even earlier heck its been around for a hundred years and challenge matches were generally accepted ahead of time making it easy for someone to set one up.

Dont even bother wasting your energy responding, keep on with some more cool stories.
    ditto.

forget these idiots...

chants more stories more info please!~~

hoping ur next post is on chan tai san and not wasted on these fools

cheers!

More stories please...

Sifu Ross,

No need to even worry about KF or any other trolls. More stories as they relate a tradition that most of us(including KF) will never get to see. Old school beyond our wildest dreams.

I thank you for sharing.

KF is just a tool who has no clue. How many knife fights has he been in? None, as he would end up like that Harvard student who defended himself. In jail and someones punk Arse Biatch.

nuff said about KF.

In Boston,

Dale
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Let's move on

Listen, le'ts move over this topic, okay. David Ross is not saying that Lama Pai Kung-Fu is superior to any style. There are many unique techniques and concepts in this style which DO make if different from other styles. Are they superior? Well, let's just say this:

1. They were taught to him (along with myself and others as well) by a superior martial artist of the day.

2. The style is not Chinese in Origin, so some concepts are non-existent in the Chinese martial arts world.

3. As far as Saan-Da goes, David has a record with his fighters that should speak for itself.

I'm sure that most of you on this forum are well trained. Let's direct those disciplined skills to some thought-provoking treads/comments, okay? Enough with the egos and other BS. I rest my case.

I know we are supposed to be discussing some history here, but keep this in mind for future threads:

Small minds discuss people,

Average minds discuss events,

Great minds discuss ideas!

People, let's just move on here!

Sifu Parrella
    www.nykungfu.com

PS DAVID! Don't give in to any stupid posts, you only fire these people up when you respond. Take a day or two off....okay?

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt
    hear hear...

A few posts back, someone asked a question about the Hung Faht grand master White Haired Devil - although it's not a thread about him per se, Sifu Chan did have some interaction with him vis a vis learning staff technique - I don't remember if that was covered in this thread or not (with my memory, I probably posted the whole story...)
    It has already been covered.
    WHD and CTS was in the same peasant division.
    CTS would like to learn WHD's staff methods.
    CTS followed WHD around all days seeking to be his student.
    WHD got tired and told CTS if CTS perform the same set of moves that WHD demonstrated, WHD will teach him. then, WHD proceed to beat the living daylight out of CTS demoing the set of moves CTS was to perform....

Anyways, we are dying to find out how Master Chan maintained his gung. Sifu Ross already covered that CTS training method integrated conditioning with techniques. so, as you drilled one technique one thousand time, you get the movement into the muscle memory, you get your cardio maxed out. but, that doesn't address "gung" such as iron palm? were you guys blasting a heavy bag as you trained the technique, so as the conditioning of the bones were also taking place? or was that trained separately?

This description also left out how Master Chan maintained his gung. did he pick a some that he valued and practiced those daily? how much of his days was devoted maintaining some of these gung? or was these gung so integrated into his lifestyle that all he needed was practicing techniques, the gung are trained in his "daily chores"?

Just some general idea will be sufficient.

thanks

I remember that story being several pages back. The one where he got his arse beat but remembered the moves thus getting some schooling from the white haired devil.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Thumbs down

"sanda style kicks and boxing style punches"

Yes, let my post be the last concerning Mr. R-O-T. The idea that Kung fu styles only consist of their one or two signature moves is asanine. Round kicks and straight punches are
    COMMON BASICS in many styles. Faulting someone who uses them in a rule set such as san da is retarded.

Cameras in china in the 1940's, hmmmmmm, lets think. Who had cameras in WW2? AMERICAN war correspondants. This boy is still on his momma's tit.

Quote Originally Posted by Reign-Of-Terror
    sifu ross, so basically what your saying is llama kung fu is superior to sanda
    I realize you aren't very smart, it's evident from your posts. But I never said such a thing. Just go back and re-read what I wrote, maybe have someone explain it to you. A mind is a terrible thing to waste

If so do you belong to the few group who can fight using those traditional techniques
    Are you really curious to find out? There are people on here, and on Empty Flower too, who have trained or do train with me. Some have already posted their experiences with me. A lot of people here have my new DVD (available at www.NYSanDa.com). So you can get their opinions on the issue if you want

or do you belong to the group that ends up looking like a kickboxer throwing sanda style kicks and boxing style punches and using western style footwork?
    And, with this, we identify your affliction. You think Chinese martial arts has to look like a bad Shaw brothers movie!

What exactly is a "san da style kick"? Is a side kick different in a set than it is in a fight? The answer is yes ONLY if the person doing the set can not fight. A real kick is a real kick. I teach the same side kicks, round kicks, front kicks, back kicks and sweeps that my sifu taught.

Bahhk Hok Tam Soi
    Bou Chouh Cham Seh
    Chang Gai Geuk
    Chaai Teui
    Hyuhn Teui
    Baai Myuhn Teui
    Chyuhn Sam Geuk
    Fei Hok Teui
    Sou Teui
    Hou Sou Teui
    Jin Geuk

Find out what some of those techniques are and then we can have a conversation.

What are boxing punches? I guess you have never seen any Chinese martial art at all if you think straight punches, uppercuts and hooks aren't Chinese martial art

And if you think I do "western style footwork" then you have NO CLUE what you are talking about. If my guys did western style footwork (I assume you mean boxing footwork) then they'd be kicked, swept and thrown all over the place.

Again, it's a laugh riot seeing how limited your training and experience is.

by the way, how could your teacher reach this level of skill if as you say they had no sparring gear in his days of training or training gear?
    The answer is simple and evident to anyone with a brain, because he was lucky enough to survive many injuries, fights and attacks and thus got better. As he would have told you, for everyone one of him, there were 500 guys who got crippled, knifed, slashed, shot, killed DEAD.... Sure, if you met a guy who lived through three wars and countless matches and fights, he'd be very good. But then again, how many people lived to tell the tales Chan Tai San did?

Also Im shure the army had cameras in the 40's and even earlier heck its been around for a hundred years
    Are you really "shure" LMFAO

With this post, I officially certify you village idiot #1
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Thumbs up Grandmaster Chan's "Claw Skill"

As many of you already know, Grandmaster Chan died at quite an advanced age. Most of his disciples, including myself began training with him in the mid-late 80's. It was only on rare occassions did we witness our Sifu 'practicing' his martial arts. He got quite a bit of excersice each day as there we several disciples who visited him 5-6 days per week and many students who came sporadically. Thoughout the 80's and 90's, he usually taught for a few hours each day.

That being said, we never really saw him 'practice' his iron body/palm or claw skills. I did see him demonstrate them from time to time. Here is a quick story of one such occassion:

It was 1992 and a prospective student came my school (it was called the Chan tai-San Kung-Fu Center) in Mineola, Long Island. Sifu and I were teaching when this individual inquired about "iron palm" training. I asked him to stick around until class was over so that we may speak to him in more detail about his request.

After the class was finished, we all sat down; Sifu Chan, myself and this gentleman. Sifu informed him that to learn Iron Palm it would cost "XXXX" number of dollars. (I was a bit taken back by the amount at that time). The gentleman had heard good things about my school and Sifu Chan. He agreed to the terms and pulled out a rather large wad of cash for the 'down payment'. (About half) But he asked if he could see some sort of demonstration.

Sifu's eyes slowly scanned the room for a few seconds until he found what he was looking for; Two red bricks and a rather thick tea cup. He placed the brick in the edge of this large tree stump we used (for moments like this), and asked me to translate to the guy that I (being me) would demonstate Iron Palm. As I had done this many times, I held it against the flat top of the stump. No big deal (even though it was one of those construction type bricks with all the rock and glass in it) CRACK! It breaks in half and falls to the ground.

Now he tells me to break another one, but from only 12" away. A little harder, but no problem, CRACK, it breaks and hit the floor. Then, to my suprise, Sifu Chan takes a tea cup, not exactly a 'chinatown thick' cup, but very thick nonetheless. He places a small cloth on top of it and grasps it by three fingers (thumb, index and middle). He takes a small breath in and exhales with a short "HHMMMPP" and crushes the cup in his grasp. I actually thought his fingers slipped off of it, but when he lifted the cloth, the cup was broken into three pieces. Needless to say I WAS IMPRESSED, not to mention the guy who came to learn Iron Palm. It was another one of those instances where I felt lucky to be his disciple.

Hope you enjoyed this fond memory of my Master.

Sifu Michael Parrella
    www.nykungfu.com
    www.antiqueasiaweapons.com

A few of my random thoughts....

Sifu Chan trained for SO LONG that his skills was sort of residual, ie, you lose your skill over time.... the more skill you accumulated, the longer it took to go away. And maybe if you get to a certain point, it "sticks".... my experience with the finger gung was very short (did it for a month or so), so it's hard to say what would have happened if I continued....

Sifu's hands also stayed strong from the manipulations he did as a Chinese doctor, much like massage thearapists have very strong hands as "tools of the trade"

For many years though, I know that sifu kept practicing some things but in secret. More than once I stumbled upon him only to have him quickly stop. A friend I have from White Crane also told me he and Chan Hak Fu would use the Canal street school to do stuff, kicking out the students and locking the doors....

There is a story about when Shuai Jiao legend Chang Tung Sheng was on his death bed, he called his students to him and cried that he had held so much back that now, it would be lost. For all the things that Sifu Chan showed us, many things that most never get to see, I still feel much more was left....

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

13. so did the guy learn the iron palm? If so how was he trained?

How old are you?

at this point, R-O-Trolling's posts keep the thread at the top, so that's fine... other than that, he's not worth responding to. Can't grasp basic ideas

Before people get to enamoured with the idea of secret training, you'd better go back and look at some of the earlier stories about Sifu and his teacher, Jyu Chyuhn. Quite a lot of his skill came from LONG HOURS of constant repetition. Sifu was very clear, they spent entire mornings doing stance and footwork. They threw basic punches thousands of times. They did nothing but train all day, 7 days a week....

They also did quite a lot of improvised weight training, ie the infamous "wooden ear plates" for example...

repetition, resistance, lots of fight experience and a "tough guy" attitude will always equal a good fighter....