Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: About the internal aspect of Wing Chun

Originally posted by yylee
    I don't know squat about weight lifting but I think the paragraph says squat begins with eccentric phase so SSC energy kicks in.

I think your question really is: is SSC used in Keng Geng, sun punch or biu jee? and if so, which phase of the motion is storing energy.

my goodness, you are asking me to use my brian on a saturday?!

Kick in when?

I love non linear thinking. that way I drive you nuts and drive you to the New Teretory ( Shan Kai) but dont mistaken that as Hong Kong's Shan Kai.

Originally posted by yellowpikachu
    Kick in when?

I love non linear thinking. that way I drive you nuts and drive you to the New Teretory ( Shan Kai) but dont mistaken that as Hong Kong's Shan Kai.
    I know there are some famous weight lifting gyms in Kowloon, around those old WC sifu's kwoons. New Territory? there were some farms there back then, don't remember much.

>>Kick in when?

I guess when the structure and the muscles are under stress due to the weight, the tendons store some energy. The way I understand it, if brute muscle contraction is use at the very beginning, the tendon won't get the chance to store incoming pressure. So the sitting down action during the beginning of the squat can store the energy....

"When a tendon or muscle is stretched, elastic energy is stored within its structure. The elastic energy is recoiled and used to increase the efficiency of the concentric phase of movement. The level of stored energy is proportional to the applied force and speed of the stretch. The magnitude of the stretch is a function of muscle and tendon stiffness (Zatsiorsky 1995). "

and I like paradoxical thinking, I tell you one thing but really mean another.
    Last edited by yylee; 12-04-2004 at 11:29 AM.

Originally posted by yellowpikachu
    Does that means squat elimating the ssc?

So is Keng Geng similar to deadlift or squat? is sun punch similar to deadlift or squat? is biu jee similar to deadlift or squat?
    Yes.

And even more similar to the jerk and push press. . .

Have fun,

Andrew

P.S. 'Motion in stillness, stillness in motion'.

"There are two distinct aspects in this discussion: The pure energy ,present everywhere at our disposal and,the mind/spirit/body connection,necessary to "control" it if I can use that term." (Old Jong/Michel)

In that case Michel...let's start to spill all the beans. The esoteric traditions speak of the sevenfold nature of man, and they are - from lowest to highest:

1) Physical body
    2) Life Principle.................... (prana,chi,"the force",internal energy,etc.)
    3) Astral body
    4) Desire nature
    5) Mind
    6) Soul
    7) Spirit

What is your explanation of his [inch] power?

Lots of things that are difficult to measure are nevertheless
    interesting and real -and has empirical consequences...like love
    Does it matter? I thought my SiHing asked a stupid question, anyway.

Suppose, for a moment, the gentleman had, instead, said that his ability came from god, from little green men, or from the nanobots that were injected into him during a secret government experiment which re-engineered his DNA on the molecular level. Would the fact that he can produce inch power prove the existence of god, little green men, or that the movie "Black Mask" was inspired by a true story which was edited for brevity and some details changed due to artistic license?

Even if I cannot explain his inch power, I can unequivocally prove that the gentleman's spine has not been coiled like a spring and latched and he does not "pop the latch" to unleash the inch power.

But, since you asked, I actually can explain his inch power. It comes from two factors: Copious amounts of starting strength, plus the coordination to use it in a fashion that allows it to be expressed that way.

I can teach starting strength. Give me the right tools and about eight months, and I can train a muscle to produce as much force in starting strength as the muscle is genetically able. (By itself, entirely useless). The full coordination, however, shares a characteristic with many efforts of developing skill: It cannot be taught, but it can be learned.

Assuming we are not referring to the score of zero in tennis, love is another subject which cannot be taught but it can be learned.

For wing chun - doing the motions "right"-will develop the necessary chi over time without metaphysical discussions. But doing it "right" is not easy- and a mechanical chart can miss the nuances
    We agree. But the "mechanical charts" which alleged "chi masters" use to "coil their spine" shares the same problem because "chi" is another subject which cannot be taught but can be learned. The metaphysical discussions to which you refer make the subject no more easy and, in many cases, harder than it has to be for those whose "chi" alludes them. Hence, my reference to the wordless gesture.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 12-06-2004 at 09:58 AM.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com