Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does opponent size matter?

Question Does opponent size matter?

Do you really think Bruce Lee could beat Bob Sapp.

Size, strength, speed. They all matter. That is why people train in martial arts - to try and negate the advantages those attributes give an opponent.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Re: Does opponent size matter?

Originally posted by Ghostface
    Do you really think Bruce Lee could beat Bob Sapp.
    Nope, poor Bruce is too dead to fight Bob Sapp.

No. Size doesn't matter. Neither do speed, skill, power, conditioning, style, fatigue, weapons, or anything else.

I started a whole thread on this topic recently, but for some reason it was deleted.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

i didn't know it got deleted.

i tried to follow it, but then people kept arguing about stuff i wasn't motivated enough to learn about.
    where's my beer?

I think the "Size Doesn't Matter" thread is still out there somewhere. The one that got deleted was "Speed and Skill don't matter either."

It's about the stupidest topic I can imagine for an MA board, and I just felt like mocking it.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

It doesnt matter, as long as your chi is not blocked, of course.

if i come up against a larger assailant i simply squirt them with puss from my naughty places.
    where's my beer?

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    I think the "Size Doesn't Matter" thread is still out there somewhere. The one that got deleted was "Speed and Skill don't matter either."

It's about the stupidest topic I can imagine for an MA board, and I just felt like mocking it.
    ahh i see. i think so too.

it always ends up being page after page of everyone arguing about everything they agree on if that makes any sense.
    where's my beer?

Size and other physical attributes do matter.

If it is a advantage or not depends what you do.

Boxers need good muscle mass, tri and bicep to throw heavy punches.

However, most of the Kung Fu attacks are to the soft spots of the opponent. In that case, you do not need a huge muscle mass to inflict serious injuries.

You only have to do it fast and accurate.

Hell yes it matters. Would you rather fight someone exactly like you, or someone exactly like you except with 50 extra pounds of muscle?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Here is where the misinformed comes in and says "someone exactly like you but with 50lbs more muscle would be really slow and stiff and easy to defeat."
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

yes.

and....

no.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

so its actually

yes.

then...

no.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

i just finally finished watching supersize me.

i watched the first half like 2 months ago or something, but never got around to finishing it.

im glad i dont like fast food. i dont know if my kid will ever eat mcdonalds again though.
    where's my beer?