Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm fighting this capoeira instructor...

So I'm fighting this capoeira instructor...

As some of you know, my school is like an MA center - there is a kenpo instructor (who actually owns the place) an aikido instructor, a capoeira instructor and my bjj, judo and thai coaches.

Anyhoo, in recent months, we've gotten to be really cool with the capoeira guys. We always watch eachother train, and converse about various things. Tonight, the instructor starts throwing punches at me - he doesn't box, so handling what he was throwing was pretty easy. My coach was talking to one of the bjj students and says "he's being conservative right now, trying to box - he's not doing his jenga or anything" So I provoke him "c'mon, capoeira man, break out your jenga"

OMG....dude was fast as he11. kicks and sweeps started coming from nowhere. I was able to use my teep to stop a few of his incoming attacks, one of which I slid in on afterwards and smacked him with a hook. In addition to the sweeps, he did a double leg as well. I was quite impressed. He wants to work his boxing more and I want to be more mobile, so we agreed to spar on a fairly regular basis.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

does capoeira have no hand attacks at all? or just no punching? what i have seen it is all kicks. hard to tell when its so fast.

neat.
    where's my beer?

Originally posted by neit
    does capoeira have no hand attacks at all? or just no punching? what i have seen it is all kicks. hard to tell when its so fast.
    They might have palm strikes more or less depending on the style. But violence leads to nothing, I sugest you pratice your breathing

Originally posted by neit
    lots of kicks lots of elbows, knees and takedowns from what I have seen of it thus far.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by MoreMisfortune
    They might have palm strikes more or less depending on the style. But violence leads to nothing, I sugest you pratice your breathing

I'm glad you now have a positive outlook on life. Maybe things will improve for you now...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

" But violence leads to nothing, I sugest you pratice your breathing "

I think every reasonable person would agree but you can't learn to defend your self without sparring. Did you pass your driving test by sitting on a chair pretending to drive?

I thought that since Caporeia was useful for people with bound hands and that's why they have few hand techniques.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

did he do that thing where he does a handplant and kicks over his head?

Originally posted by Internal Boxer
    " But violence leads to nothing, I sugest you pratice your breathing "

I think every reasonable person would agree but you can't learn to defend your self without sparring. Did you pass your driving test by sitting on a chair pretending to drive?
    you gotta know who he is to understand the humor in it

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by lxtruong
    did he do that thing where he does a handplant and kicks over his head?
    lol, no.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I don't know about fighting skills, but the really, really hot girls are in capoeira. Hang out with Seven, you can always get the runnoff...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    I thought that since Caporeia was useful for people with bound hands and that's why they have few hand techniques.
    I never see them punch. elbow, knee, kick and takedown, butnever punch. However, they have some techniques, like one of their defensive stances - negachiva (sp?) where one hand is on the ground and the other is guarding their face...you can't do that with bound hands. Like anything else though, I imagine the art has changed some over the years.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too
    I don't know about fighting skills, but the really, really hot girls are in capoeira. Hang out with Seven, you can always get the runnoff...
    yeah, he talked about a major tournament that happens in miami and said the girls there were so hot it's unreal. Also, we had two girls visit his class that train with a group in brazil...All I can say is

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    yeah, he talked about a major tournament that happens in miami and said the girls there were so hot it's unreal. Also, we had two girls visit his class that train with a group in brazil...All I can say is

worthless without pics
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.