View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 58 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960681081585581058 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Professional sports coaches are almost always college players that couldn't play professionally. They get an entry level coaching job working for peanuts and work their way up over many, many years. They basically learn how to coach on the job, UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF MORE EXPERIENCED COACHES. They aren't running their own programs and learning as they go.

That's why you see "lineages" of head coaches. At one time, every head coach in the NFL had been an assistant under Tom Landry. In the 80s and early 90s, almost all the head coaches had been assistants at SF. Up until a couple of years ago, about 1/2 off all the head coaches were at some time assistants under Jimmy Johnson.

And I can guarantee you none of them had 5 years or less of training to do their jobs.

For example:

Bill Cowher began his NFL career as a free-agent linebacker with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1979, and then signed with the Cleveland Browns the following year. Cowher played three seasons (1980-82) in Cleveland before being traded back to the Eagles, where he played two more years (1983-84). Cowher began his coaching career in 1985 at age 28 under Marty Schottenheimer with the Browns. He was the Browns’ special teams coach in 1985-86 and secondary coach in 1987-88 before following Schottenheimer to the Kansas City Chiefs in 1989 as defensive coordinator. He became head coach of the Steelers in 1992.

That's 17 years of playing/training (including college) before he became a head coach.

Belichick was a center/tight end at Wesleyan 1971-74. He launched his career in 1975 as a special assistant with the Baltimore Colts, then became an assistant special teams coach with Detroit (1976-77) and Denver (1978). In 1979, he joined the New York Giants as the special teams coach, and by 1981 he was also working with the linebackers. In 1985, he was named defensive coordinator and contributed to the Giants winning Super Bowl titles in 1986 and again in 1990. Following Super Bowl XXV, Belichick was named head coach of the Cleveland Browns in 1991, becoming the youngest head coach in the NFL at age 37.

That's 20 years of playing/coaching experience before getting a head coaching job...

Sure, some guys get there in less time. But they usually don't stick around very long...
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 02-03-2005 at 08:33 AM.

I don't think someone with just 3 to 5 years years of MA experience should be the head instructor of a school unless they are simply a prodigy of some sort. I think at least 10 to 15 total experience with at least 3 to 5 years teaching as an assistant would be required before you could consider yourself competent to teach as the head honcho of your kwoon.

With coaches, they are assistants for years first. Most have played the sport at some advanced level, but there are some who didn't. But they were taught how to coach under someone more experienced than them, so it's ok. The greatest fighters don't necessarily make the greatest teachers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Kinda silly for a student scoping out schools to sign up under someone who's been training for less than 10 years. But of course you have kids and what-not who don't bother researching their school.

My instructer is a couple years older than me (34, to be exact), and has been training since he was a young child, with only the last 9 years being SD before he was offered the head instructor job here in the springs, simply because no one else was qualified. He didn't want it, but realised that there was no one else to do it.

Personally, I'm glad he chose to, mainly because he's a good instructor, and a helluva guy. Of course, it's also nice that he has so many years of training in other systems, plus a short stint of tourney fighting.

But how could 1st / 2nd blacks get away with even claiming to be "head instructor".....wouldn't they get laughed at a bit too often?

(wanders back to his flu-ridden misery)
    Steel sharpens on rock. Man sharpens on man.

you know i think alot of people forget that in alot of areas of this country a 1st or 2nd is much more than most have and alot of people appriciate the chance to learn period.

oh but i was reading about a school just to day ( buisness side of the martial arts ) they had a program where if some on wanted to be a martial arts instructor.....with having never had any training.....doing for a buisness..... they could take you from beginner to black belt instructor and in offer buisness training on how to run a profitable school ... long trem .... in just 1 year yes just 12 months???????
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

This isn't a Shaolin-do topic! No one is calling each other names or questioning each other's lineage!

okay, I got one for y'all: If that hairy guy was such a bad ass, how come there are no other legends of him? If he mastered a lot of styles, he'd have a lot of teachers. And wouldn't those teachers also have other students? And wouldn't those other students wonder "how did that hairy mother$%^&* master our school so fast" ? Even if he only mastered one style and repeatedly kicked ass, he'd be more legendary than Wong Fei Hung or Fong Sai Yuk, just by being hairy. Like another guy who supposedly had white eyebrows.

and I'm gonna the throw in the required YOU'RE ALL FRAUDS!!

carry on
    Last edited by cho; 02-06-2005 at 08:35 PM.
    -------------------------------------------
    "It is a good thing to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, from Hagakure

Originally posted by cho
    This isn't a Shaolin-do topic! No one is calling each other names or questioning each other's lineage!

okay, I got one for y'all: If that hairy guy was such a bad ass, how come there are no other legends of him? If he mastered a lot of styles, he'd have a lot of teachers. And wouldn't those teachers also have other students? And wouldn't those other students wonder "how did that hairy mother$%^&* master our school so fast" ? Even if he only mastered one style and repeatedly kicked ass, he'd be more legendary than Wong Fei Hung or Fong Sai Yuk, just by being hairy. Like another guy who supposedly had white eyebrows.

and I'm gonna the throw in the required YOU'RE ALL FRAUDS!!

carry on
    It's funny when someone posts what you are thinking...

practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

funny when someone tosses a match into an oil spill.

Other than that, I'm not going to bother to comment on an obvious attempt to cause trouble.
    Steel sharpens on rock. Man sharpens on man.

Yawn.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

TTT cho. We've talked about all that (and nothing will ever ve resolved!)
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by shen ku
    you know i think alot of people forget that in alot of areas of this country a 1st or 2nd is much more than most have and alot of people appriciate the chance to learn period.

oh but i was reading about a school just to day ( buisness side of the martial arts ) they had a program where if some on wanted to be a martial arts instructor.....with having never had any training.....doing for a buisness..... they could take you from beginner to black belt instructor and in offer buisness training on how to run a profitable school ... long trem .... in just 1 year yes just 12 months???????
    I would expect anyone of those students to be about as good, or worse, as any other 12 month student. The belt doesn't mean anything if you can't back it up.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    I would expect anyone of those students to be about as good, or worse, as any other 12 month student. The belt doesn't mean anything if you can't back it up.
    That's always true. Rank means nothing no matter the manner of expression (belt, sash, certificate). What's in your head and how can your body express the mind's intent against a resisting opponent vs what's around your waist or hanging on your wall.

Rank means nothing no matter the manner of expression (belt, sash, certificate).
    you tell that to the Marine DI when you get drafted.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    you tell that to the Marine DI when you get drafted.
    I'm too old to get drafted.

I'm too pretty to get drafted.

Kinda silly for a student scoping out schools to sign up under someone who's been training for less than 10 years. But of course you have kids and what-not who don't bother researching their school.
    Rank or time in does not mean you can teach. When you go to a school you are looking for someone that can teach you and coach you.

I wouldnt be quick to judge an instructor on time in compared to knowledge and teaching ability.