Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pai lum history

There are many masters of pai lum that i know

Some Master of Pai lum are Master sanders and master Harris (i forget there chinese names)Some true grandmasters are pai shinzan pai san chuan pai bok hok and there are a few more masters and grandmasters
    Jhon Phillips

For one branch of pai lum to say another branch was not real or made up is crazy.

If you do your history on the pai lum forms you will figure out where most of them were "borrowed" from in the sixties and seventies. That was when pai lum was put together. The only forms that may have some history may be Pai lum, pai lim, pai chow, the ones with the pai prefix.

There has been so many people made masters from off shoots of that system it is unbelievable.

Pai lum has a 40 year history, tops.

Dave everett was mentioned. From what I know he is very good. Pai lum produced alot of good fighters.

Glenn wilson may have had added some stuff. Is that worse than going out and collecting forms to develop the system?

Glenn Wilson still produces great fighters and is doing alot to promote pai lum.

I think the two sides should egos aside (that would be hard in a belt ranking society) and come together for the good. Pai must have seen something in wilson. He was the grand master he called the shots. Isnt it disrespectfull to go against his wishes?

I did have a pai lum instructor tell me that pai told his instructor that hung ga came from pai lum. (I think he may have gotten it mixed up

Anyway, I like pai lum and it produces good fighters.

people that study pai lum (at least in my school) are told about the forms they are studying and we realize that it is a system of other styles.

the "branch" is about what is real and what is not and the true intention of GM Pai, which I suppose no one can know except those that were his senior most students and GM Pai himself.

I love my school though and SiGung is awesome in ability and teaching. I feel very lucky.

Pai Lum has it's drama too, unfortunately. Sorry to get wrapped up in it on this thread. I really don't like it.

But yeah, Pai Lum produces awesome fighters.
    My school: http://pailumwarrior.com/

Originally posted by sayloc
    For one branch of pai lum to say another branch was not real or made up is crazy..... I think the two sides should egos aside (that would be hard in a belt ranking society) and come together for the good. Pai must have seen something in wilson. He was the grand master he called the shots. Isnt it disrespectfull to go against his wishes?

Anyway, I like pai lum and it produces good fighters.
    Amen! One thing you seem to be missing, though. There are five Pai Lum Grandmasters, [I]all[/I of which insist they are the one true grandmaster chosen by Grandmaster Pai Before he died. Then there are other branches who do not recognize any living grandmaster, because Grandmaster Pai Did not formally recognize any one grandson or grandauter to take the mantle.

In other words, Pai Lum is just like any other CMA, and we squabble over liniege. I still choose to think of it more as different traditions in the same extended family. My sisters and I were raised together, but keep house a bit differently that each other. The same with all the little tendrils of Pai Lum. The curiculum is the same, the forms and drills are the same. The only difference is in the actual running of the school, and in uniforms. You can more or less tell which grandson runs what orginization by the Sa'am the student's wear. I honesly feel no need what so ever to squabble over this. Unixfu studies under Dave Everett. PaiLumDreamer studies under Glenn Wilson. I study under Sifu Galiano. So what? We are still family, just more like extended cousins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

So where are all the pictures of you and your sisters?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Yea, I know I haven't posted one. I keep meening to scan one in, but just never get around to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Preferably, one where you're all in Flag Girl uniforms and wearing pig-tails.....
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

yes pai lum has produced alot of good fighters

i agree that Glenn has produced good fighters he has a ok style but it is not true pai lum.Pai lum has a history since shaolin temple grand master pai fused together a bunch of martial arts who them selves had histories so everything we do may have a history that can be traced back to ancient China Japan.Grandaster pai did not want to have one grandmaster to take over all pai lum. He made grandmasters of different branches.These grandmasters also had done martial arts before they started Pai Lum.Pai told them to mix there old styles plus pai lum to make there own branch so mot all pai lum schools do the same exact thing but they are very similar.Pai also taught his students different ways.My version is mixed of shotokan karate pai lum kung fu chineses kenpo judo and jujutsu
    Jhon Phillips

Now that's interesting. Puts a whole new light on the issue, for me at least. So then Glen Wilson proceeded to collect up whatever forms he could gather to round out his branch of Pai Lum? And he was originally a Kenpo stylist? Who did he train under in Kenpo?

I haven't seen a whole lot of Pai Lum but I do know a few guys that trained there. There is a school near me but I never stopped in and watched a class. Maybe I'll swing by on a fact finding mission. Actually I'll be seeing an ex-Pai Lum instructor next week so I'll get more of the inside from him.