Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pai lum history

Pai Lum is actually the common name of the style. The full name is Pai te Lung Ch'uan Shi'ang Kung Fu. ntc translated it as "Pai Family's Dragon Fist Kung Fu." Grand Master Pai was the one who said his surname means "white." I figure he would probably know... The choice of "lum" rather than "lung" in not so big of a stretch, considering that there were hundreds of dialects spoken in Mainland China at the time Po Fong Pai, Danial K. Pai's grandfather and the true founder of the style, immigrated. (He came over durring the mid 1920s) Could also be cr@ppy rominization, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I will be specific.

Does anyone Know what system the "Inner Tiger" form comes from? or was it made up within the pai lum ystem and people.

come on! There has got to be some old Pai Lumers out there!

thanks

No. Forget it. This thread has been hyjacked and you can't get it back. ......

On that note, no, there are few Pai Lum old timmers on this board, or rather, none who admit to it. But check over at cyberkwoon. There is a section the focuses on just Pai Lum somewhere. You might have more luck there.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

In the beginning of teaching, GM Pai taught Kempo to students, and then later on decided to teach the kungfu he learned from his father to students. The kungfu he has, he learned from his father and is stuff he learned from his family and so is a family line. Sure, it may differ and be called different things, but it is the same thing. The same is true with the Yang long form, it has variations, but there are 2341251345356 variations of the long form, yet the moves are all the same. With the forms and especially with Taijiquan, things can vary, yet still be true to being what it is. You will also find the people's Taijiquan forms change as they grow in development and work different things.

So, GM Pai learned kungfu from his family and is something that is passed down in his family. His father sent him to learn Kempo in Okinawa.

The Pai Lum system is a blend of all GM Pai knew: Tradional Kungfu, Kempo, Chi Gung, and Yang family style Taijiquan. I believe that is a great system and none of the stuff is made up. The teachings of GM Pai also include more than just the physical martial arts and seem to be very buddist in nature.

Maybe worth looking into, next to you meet a Pai Lum student (that isn't new).
    Last edited by unixfudotnet; 11-30-2004 at 09:07 AM.
    My school: http://pailumwarrior.com/

Anyway the Pai Lum system is recognized as Kung Fu within the Chinese Kuoshu Association for over 25 years.

I met Daniel K. Pai the first time in Taiwan during a Kuoshu General Meeting early eighties and he was treated with much respect.
    South Paw

Sayloc,

You know Inner Tiger?
    It's an interesting set.

Joe Mantis
    "Grow through Pain." - Tainan Mantis

Glenn Wilson is a fake

I do Pai lum. I do a different version of Pai Lum then Glenn Wilson. Glenn Wilson is Not True pai lum his sifus are fakes.He did a kenpo style before he started pai lum.He only trained with Grandmaster Pai for two years not his lie of 20 years. He brings dishonor to pai lum.My version and Grandmaster shunn him and his version.Pai lum is truely a effective style but Glenn's fake pai lum is not.So dont say all Pai lum is fake.
    Jhon Phillips

I think we speak for that as well

My sigung's teacher is Master Everett @ http://www.white-lotus.com/

Yup. That's what I've bean told, as well. D'you guys see this year's Pai Lum calender? Notice that none of Glenn Wilson's schools are listed? That list is s'poded to be a complete list of all kwoons that still remain true to Grandmaster Pai's teachings.

have you seen his horse stance, lol? enough said.

mmm... No I never really pick on someone else's horse stance. Mine ain't that great, either. 'Course, I'm not trying to be something/someone I'm not...

Wink more truth of Glenn Wilson

The Glen Wilson Story

In truth the g. wilson lineage was the last to join the Pai Lum system and not how it is indicated in the family tree of his book.

His real rank is just a forth higher level and that was given to him just to match his rank in his former style. His sixth level is fictitious. For in truth he did not earn it by working his way up through the style.

A true Grandson/disciple was give a Chinese name with "Pai" as part of it. Gee what is his name.

Most of his Pai Lum forms came from a video tape.

Master Pai saw that wilson had good marketing skills and that is why he played on wilsons ego. And that is all
    Jhon Phillips

more glenn wilson truth

The Glen Wilson Story

In truth the g. wilson lineage was the last to join the Pai Lum system and not how it is indicated in the family tree of his book.

His real rank is just a forth higher level and that was given to him just to match his rank in his former style. His sixth level is fictitious. For in truth he did not earn it by working his way up through the style.

A true Grandson/disciple was give a Chinese name with "Pai" as part of it. Gee what is his name.

Most of his Pai Lum forms came from a video tape.

Master Pai saw that wilson had good marketing skills and that is why he played on wilsons ego. And that is all
    Jhon Phillips

Upon returning to Connecticut in 1972, Mr. Everett's involvement in the Chinese Martial Arts began. He chanced upon Grandmaster Daniel K. Pai, head of the Pai Lum White Dragon Fist System, while looking for one of his old karate teachers at the YWCA in New Britain, CT. Within six months he was named Chief Instructor at Grandmaster Pai's Fire Dragon School in Hartford, CT; and within another year was named Chief Instructor of all White Dragon Fist Kung Fu schools under Grandmaster Pai.
    In 6 months he was running the school, and after 18 months he was running ALL the schools?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I am not sure of all the details, but I trust that if GM Pai thought he was good enough, then he was

Master Everett also lived with GM Pai for like 7 or 9 years (i forget exactly how many, my SiGung told me, yet I forgot), and the single one person that GM Pai taught the most to and trusted to carry on the art, in my opinion. Wilson happened to be at the right place in the right time, it seems. It is suspected that GM Pai could have told 5 people that they could carry on the art after his death...

There is division in the Pai Lum arts, Wilson (which is pretty much not it), and true Pai Lum taught by GM Pai. If only he was still alive to clean it all up, otherwise we just have to trust in our teachers and what are being taught is the real deal. I believe I am learning Pai Lum as GM Pai taught it and wanted it to be carried on without anything changed or modified.