Thread: Question for Hop Gar Stylist????

Question Question for Hop Gar Stylist????

I'm curious as to do any of you have forms by the names of

1.Kam Kong Kuen

2.Chung Wai Kuen

I ask because these are forms that we have within Hak Fu Muhn ,and i hear that they may have come from Hop Gar.

If so are any of you familiar with these forms?

I have them on video and would like to compare to see if they are the same as yours.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

hey that's pretty interesting jmd.

I have heard that kam kong or Gum Gong is one of those sets that comes from siulahm kungfu in a general way and is found in many styles. Kinda like moifah/meihua.

it represents an underlying concept and principle that drives the techniques within.

I have noticed that the 2 versions of gum gong i am familiar with are highly defensive in their techniques.

I would be interested to hear of any of the other connections though for posterities sake.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

"I'm curious as to do any of you have forms by the names of 1.Kam Kong Kuen 2.Chung Wai Kuen"

The first one I don't recognize, my chinese fluency is zilch, but the second one sounds like Chyrn Wye Kern (blind monk's fist.) It basically repeats the same motion moving clock-wise and counterclock-wise from what I remember.

The forms I remember learning are (not in this order
    Chyrn Wye Kern
    Sim Bo Dan Ji
    Shaolin Luohan
    Hop Gar frame

It's very likely that Chyrn Wye Kern is a Shaolin form and its most likely in the system I learned part of because Ku Chi Wai is also a Shaolin Disciple under Law Wei Jung. As for Gum Gong, I'll let someone with more experience answer that.

In general, I don't recall any pure defensive techniques in Hop Gar unless it's to set up an attack

peace
    Zvika

Re: Question for Hop Gar Stylist????

Originally posted by jmd161
    I'm curious as to do any of you have forms by the names of

1.Kam Kong Kuen

2.Chung Wai Kuen

I ask because these are forms that we have within Hak Fu Muhn ,and i hear that they may have come from Hop Gar.

If so are any of you familiar with these forms?

I have them on video and would like to compare to see if they are the same as yours.

jeff
    is Hak Fu Muhn shaolin black tiger?

If so i saw a book years ago at the library wich I'm sure used the Lama fist with the thumb on top of the index finger, and I was wondering if maybe you guys got it from lama...I wondered this last night after seeing this thread, but if you peep my ATTN Lama Heads thread, CharlesDaCosta mentioned shaolin uses this fist and it's known as ram fist....

still could be a link tho if you are talking about Black Tiger style

here's the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...14210?v=glance

Originally posted by HopGar
    "I'm curious as to do any of you have forms by the names of 1.Kam Kong Kuen 2.Chung Wai Kuen"

The first one I don't recognize, my chinese fluency is zilch, but the second one sounds like Chyrn Wye Kern (blind monk's fist.) It basically repeats the same motion moving clock-wise and counterclock-wise from what I remember.

The forms I remember learning are (not in this order
    Chyrn Wye Kern
    Sim Bo Dan Ji
    Shaolin Luohan
    Hop Gar frame

It's very likely that Chyrn Wye Kern is a Shaolin form and its most likely in the system I learned part of because Ku Chi Wai is also a Shaolin Disciple under Law Wei Jung. As for Gum Gong, I'll let someone with more experience answer that.

In general, I don't recall any pure defensive techniques in Hop Gar unless it's to set up an attack

peace
    you train under ku chi wai? a buddy of mine trains mei hua, but also trains with ku chi wai when he can, as he lives in MS, not GA.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I did. I ddin't feel like I was getting much out of it, they were becoming disorganized the last time I was there, so I moved on. Currently in Hsing-I under Allen Carrol (Allen Pittman's student.)

peace
    Zvika

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    hey that's pretty interesting jmd.

I have heard that kam kong or Gum Gong is one of those sets that comes from siulahm kungfu in a general way and is found in many styles. Kinda like moifah/meihua.

it represents an underlying concept and principle that drives the techniques within.

I have noticed that the 2 versions of gum gong i am familiar with are highly defensive in their techniques.

I would be interested to hear of any of the other connections though for posterities sake.

cheers

Yeah,

That's what i was told also that Gum Gong Kuen (Golden Buddha is what we call it) was a Shaolin form.

Jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Re: Re: Question for Hop Gar Stylist????

Originally posted by diego
    is Hak Fu Muhn shaolin black tiger?

If so i saw a book years ago at the library wich I'm sure used the Lama fist with the thumb on top of the index finger, and I was wondering if maybe you guys got it from lama...I wondered this last night after seeing this thread, but if you peep my ATTN Lama Heads thread, CharlesDaCosta mentioned shaolin uses this fist and it's known as ram fist....

still could be a link tho if you are talking about Black Tiger style

here's the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...14210?v=glance

Yeah,

Sil Lum Hak Fu Muhn is Shaolin Black Tiger.

Ahh ok that link is for a book on Shantung Black Tiger that's totally different. Shantung is a Northern China Black Tiger style ,we are Southern Black Tiger.

jeff
    Last edited by jmd161; 12-28-2004 at 08:43 AM.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun