Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing Lam Videos.... Any good in general?

Wing Lam Videos.... Any good in general?

I am looking to pick up a couple videos for a few weapons techniques, and was wondering if anyone could give some recommendations. Wing Lam seems to have every video known to man or animal for that matter. So I wonder if they are any good.

Specifically basic Staff, Spear, and straight sword.

I would appreciate any links to good video reference areas as well.

Thanks.

I'll vouch for the quality of the WLE vids. They are well put together and get quite detailed.

If you have some decent foundational knowlkedge and skill it is likely you will like these vids. The focus is North Shaolin, Hung Gar and Sun Tai Chi. All his basics tapes are geared towards these styles.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/brPrdDept.a...ection-videos/

If you have some basic understanding of Kung Fu, the Shaolin VCDs from Shi De Yang are awesome. They're in Chinese, but you can see the forms from 3 different angles and in varying speeds.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I have the 3-sectioned staff video.. I would recomend it.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

WLE

I wrote most of those videos, so I'm biased.

Why did you post this on the media forum?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene, while I'm no expert, I'm guessing because it is a form of Media.. but like I said, I'm no expert.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Yeah, I guess that makes sense

Although it would probably be more powerful on either the Southern (Hung Gar), Shaolin or internal forum. I almost missed it myself here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just because of YOUR browsing insufficiencies we should move it.. yeah, you're right though...lol

practice wu de

Nah, I'm not moving it.

It just seemed funny to me, that's all.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

nevermind...

...looks like Design Sifu moved it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"not moving it"

but are you missing it? The Hung Ga that is?

Hi Gene,

When you put a form out on video, is it the whole form or is it chaged for the gerneral public?

Do you or anyone else know if the Wing Lam videos ore authentic or changed?

Thanks for your time

have a nice day

I believe Gene has stated this on the forum before but the forms on the video are as close to what is taught at the time at Lam Kwoon as possible. Nothing is changed specifically for the videos.

That said, as with any performance, there are always some idiosyncracies and they don't really get highlighted in the video. Overall, they are as authentic as any instruction you could get.

Realize too that even within a school, two people will have some variations in the way they perform a set.

Authentic kungfu

The question sparks a major concern for those who want to learn from videos etc.
    The simple solution is to find a legitimate style, an authentic lineage holder (and skilled) and learn from him/her.
    Here you ask the authenticity of the forms in the WLE videos, but you can ask the same question of any video or vcd.
    1. Is the style authentic or recently made-up
    2. Is the demonstrator a real lineage holder or a fake?
    3. Is the demonstrator qualified (skilled) to represent the style he or she demonstrates?
    4. A real style or system, an authentic lineage holder who is skilled, but how do you know what he or she puts in the video or vcd is the authentic form and not modified or have parts withheld.

Let me give you an example, coming from mainland china were a set of vcds on Ziranmen , demonstrated by Du Feihu who claims to be grandson of the famed Du xinwu , and also a student of Wan Laisheng. Guess what? He got sued by Du xinwu's grand daughters for claiming to be Du xinwu's grandson (if I'm not mistaken).
    Would that give you a lot of confidence in what he puts out?
    I can go on about suspected made-up systems but the point is not to start some flaming.
    The point? Much better to find authentic sifu of a real style and ask to be taught. Requires possibly lots of research and thought, but I think the results are more rewarding then picking up a commercial audio-visual.
    Of course the audio-visuals can satisfy possibly some curiosity or research desire, but do you think eg a BJJ guy would put his best techniques out on video so that the other stylists can see and find counters for them?
    Last edited by Kennyfist; 11-03-2004 at 05:59 PM.

i have the first twop wing lam hung gar videos and my buddy has the shaolin double daggers one. they are pretty good videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.