Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bung Bo or Lanjie

Bung Bo or Lanjie

Simple question PM peeps.

For sole combative purposes, which would you prefer to learn, Bung Bo or Lanjie?

Cut me some slack guys, don't say both

Seriously, if you only learned ONE PM form, which would you prefer?
    Be nice to your enemy is to be cruel to yourself. - Master Wang (Combat Shuai Chiao) from the EmptyFlower forums.

To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by
    fire and maneuver, or repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat. ~ Mission of the Marine Rifle Company

What is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Good Question

If I had to pick I would have to say Bung Bo. Aside from this being my favorite form to perform it is also my favorite form to use in free fighting. I prefer it because if its fast mantis hands techniques, closing the distance techniques, arm locks, suck N’ spit energy, sweeps, etc……. There’s so much to this form that I know I can not do it justice here describing it. Over all the forms I know this one has to be on the top of the list. Direct and to the point form, get in, stay on top of the guy and beat him with every thing you have. Sorry for being overly simplistic.

Shen Zhou
    "Learn to see a persons weak spots; even if a ready or on position is used."
    Lai Sifu

Thumbs up

Great reply Shen Zhou. Thanks!
    Be nice to your enemy is to be cruel to yourself. - Master Wang (Combat Shuai Chiao) from the EmptyFlower forums.

fire and maneuver, or repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat. ~ Mission of the Marine Rifle Company

What is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Thanks for all the great insights shanghai_kid!

Beng Bu Form

Hi , I Have just come across a Filipino website with the form of beng bu in pictures.

Thought it might be of interest to you NPM people

www.lingming.home.ph.qixingtanglang.htm

sean

form

put me down for lanjie

Re: Bung Bo or Lanjie

Originally posted by YinYangDagger
    Simple question PM peeps.

For sole combative purposes, which would you prefer to learn, Bung Bo or Lanjie?

Cut me some slack guys, don't say both

Seriously, if you only learned ONE PM form, which would you prefer?
    Coming from more of a bagua guy with some mantis, I'm going to take the Lanjie side simply for power issues.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Well, if this were an actual poll, from the responses it comes down to Bung Bo: 2 and Lanjie: 2.

Interesting...

Smile The Poll...

Please put me down for Lanjie as well.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Put me down for Bung Bo.

Skard1
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

I prefer Lanjie.

Bengbu is nice, very straightforward and agressive and all. But I like Lanjie more because of its' flow, and the techniques and power usage are more sophisticated than Bengbu, in my humble opinion.
    The Mountaintop no height eschews;
    The Sea eschews no deep.
    And the Duke of Zhou spat out his meal
    An Empire's trust to keep.

Cao Cao, Martial Emperor of Wei

Re: Re: Re: Bung Bo or Lanjie

Originally posted by shanghai_kid
    Your Beng Bu has no power?
    I didn't say that shanghai_kid, I love Beng Bu form. I'm just acknowledging than Lanjie has more focus on the use of the spine and thus develops real power that translates to bagua better.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Originally posted by shanghai_kid
    "I love Beng Bu form. I'm just acknowledging than Lanjie has more focus on the use of the spine and thus develops real power that translates to bagua better."

Maybe it's an English language thing, sorry.

For example ... your statement above logically implies that Beng Bu has no 'real power'. Is that what you mean?

To be clearer, it's not only an implication ... that grammar itself -Lanjie has more ..and thus - just says directly that Beng Bu does not have real power becuase it's doesn't have enough focus on the spine.

If that's what you mean, that's cool. I just want to be clear.
    Sorry shanghai_kid, but it seems more than a language problem confusing you. My statement that one "has more focus" has no implications of the other having none. Both these forms develop characteristics essential to a complete understanding of praying mantis systems. My preference was based on which has more benefit to a bagua man.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

shanghai_kid was concerned that my comments on lanjie implied something about the ineffectiveness of bengbu. So concerned that he brought it to me in private messages. Since it wasn't my intention to imply anything about anything except my own opinion of the value of lanjie I thought it was interesting enough to discuss openly with the forum members. Of course I won't be speaking for shanghi_kid, but I was interested in some of the more expert mantis's and teachers opinions.

I only had about 3 years of mantis before I started bagua around 10 years ago. I learned about 4 mantis forms, since most of our mantis training is basics, footwork, hands, fighting. If it weren't for that foundation plus my longfist and tai chi, I could not handle the requirments of bagua. If you ask a different way, I might say my favorite is zaiyao but if I could only learn one mantis form it would be beng bu. But lanjia helped develop more power from the spine. This helped my bagua more than others for power. But if it helps, beng bu helped my fighting more than the others.

I'm happy for your passion in the praying mantis system.
    Last edited by count; 07-16-2004 at 06:39 PM.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

No reason for PM on this

It's just a discussion. I took out the reference's to you in the post and I doubt BTL would have a need to lock this one.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM