Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats so special 'bout "IRON MONKEY" & "FIST of LEGEND"

Hybrid View

Whats so special...?

I just watched Fist of Legend and The Iron Monkey and I just wanted to know whats so special about these 2 movies? I know most movies use fast forward in there fight scenes but these two used it to the extreme to where the point they were fighting at superhuman speed and it was so obvious.

And I don't know whether Jet Li was trying to copy Bruce Lee's footwork but it looked nothing like it.

I'm guessing the 93 version of Iron Monkey and the Jet remake of Fist of Legend.. I liked both for what they were... Iron had some very good choreography.. and the wirework was cleaner than a lot of other movies I've seen.. The "fastforward" work in those two haven't seemed too extreme to me.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

fist of legenmd had good kung fu and some good military style in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

NP i'll give you an example, in Fist of Legend when the current head master (just after his father died) was at his father's picture he was challenged by another kung fu master. Watch the fight, you will notice some bits with ridiculous fast forward effects. I don't know whether its just my copy of the movies (VCD from yesasia.com) or everyone else's that has this fast forward effect.

So there's some overcranking, so what? The choreography is good, the individual characters have distinctive styles that match their personalities, the fights progress pretty logically and with good dramatic tension, and everything is filmed at a distance and duration that you can actually see what's happening.

That's the big deal.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I guess if I had seen it when it first came out then I might've liked it more.

You should compare it with the cr@p coming out now, and then you will like it.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

Actually I watched both those movies straight after Ong bak so I guess my mind was comparing those two movies to ong bak.

there's no comparing Jet Li and Jackie Chan....if you pay closer attention you'll see that while legends in their own rights, they have little in common....Jet Li studied at Shaolin and Jackie in Hong kong..........their basic form / style repetoire is different and so are their apps...........I really don't think Jet Li tries to emulate any aspect of Jackie Chan, but if you do see similarities, maybe that's just something well trained legends have in common...................................

There is enjoyment in the little things like the young Wong Fei- Hung being trained by Dr. Ying and Dr. Yang it was thouroughly enjoyable. And as stated already the characters were universaly recognizable also dodger87 maybe you do need to see some more of the less enjoyable movies to appreciate the 2 you mention.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

Yeah, it's sad that basic competency in depicting wuxia action has become a big deal, but there you have it.

Ong-bak is a fun lilttle flick, of course, but I wouldn't put it in a whole category above and beyond "Fist of Legend" (I'm less enamored of "Iron Monkey" which has considerably more wirework and less distinctiveness among the fighting styles of its characters - in fact, my previous post should only be considered a defense of FoL, not IM.)
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

there's no comparing Jet Li and Jackie Chan....if you pay closer attention you'll see that while legends in their own rights, they have little in common....Jet Li studied at Shaolin and Jackie in Hong kong..........their basic form / style repetoire is different and so are their apps...........I really don't think Jet Li tries to emulate any aspect of Jackie Chan, but if you do see similarities, maybe that's just something well trained legends have in common

Thats great.. noone was comparing them...

Um, Jet was trained in beijing in wushu, Jackie learned at Opera school with Donnie, Sammo, et al.

Even with the wirework, the footwork in IM was top notch.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

ong bak is overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    Thats great.. noone was comparing them...

Um, Jet was trained in beijing in wushu, Jackie learned at Opera school with Donnie, Sammo, et al.

Even with the wirework, the footwork in IM was top notch.
    lol.......or bruce lee for that matter..................but who hasn't got a bit-o'-bruce in their style?????:P

did anyone catch round the world in 80 dys yet???.........saw a post shoot interview with Jackie Chan.I think he's gone all superstar prima donna.........IE:- the flamboyant artiste vs the hard working ma ledgend...he lost a little fce in the last movie with digitally enhanced scenes etc and when he made it up to himself he grew an ego......not attractive, and only marginally admirable

what about Jet Li though....did he get out to temple or is he still doing hollywood???......................

oh.last thing.house of knives....new ma movie, possibly had raves at Cairnes movie festival................check it out if you get the opp.......

Yeah thanks for telling us BL. Seriously do you even read the thread before you post? No one was even talking about Bruce Lee or Jacky Chan.