Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Jason Putman

Asia

BTW- Asia, If you ever dis Mean AT Work again? I will
    fly out to where you are and sink my teeth so far into your femur,
    you'll forget every martial art you ever thought you knew.
    Please desist.

Best,
    MAW Liberation Front commander,
    P. Bai He. Hieneken.

"It's a mistake......

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    Bad , Bad, KFM, bad.... (rubbing nose in newspaper)

No potty on the persian. Bad.
    ok, abel, regardless of our previous discussion, that was just fuggin funny.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Re: Asia

Originally posted by BAI HE
    BTW- Asia, If you ever dis Mean AT Work again? I will
    fly out to where you are and sink my teeth so far into your femur,
    you'll forget every martial art you ever thought you knew.
    Please desist.

Best,
    MAW Liberation Front commander,
    P. Bai He. Hieneken.

"It's a mistake......
    *looks at 80s music collection*

*notices Bai He mispelled MEN AT WORK*

*Hurls VEGAMITE SANDWICH with deadly accuracy at Bai He*
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

During my arguments with the libertarians, one of them pointed out an error in the investigation. Take a look at the following letter in Dutch which was received from the gendarmarie confirming that they had not heard of David Bannon.

"-----Original Message-----
    Sent: donderdag 27 mei 2004 14:30
    To:
    Subject: Re: Info instructeur

Geachte,

Na wat rondvraag gedaan te hebben kan ik tot op heden zeggen dat Dhr. Bannon David niet gekend is door onze diensten.
    Indien je meer informatie wil hebben of wanneer je met specifieke vragen zit rond het thema gevechtsporten kan ik u
    doorverwijzen naar de Sectie Bijzondere Opleidingen - Geweldbeheersing op het nummer 02 642 71 90 of 02 642 71 93.

Met virendelijke groet,

Alen Marc
    Adj. Secr.
    Vaste Commissie van de Lokale Politie"

Yes, they reversed Bannon's first and last names and probably checked for him under his first name of David. My apologies to everyone for not catching this sooner. So Lazy Tiger has agreed to recontact them, and hopefully we can clear up this point. When we hear back the new letter will be posted.

I should have noticed this earlier. The website that Jason Putman gives for his "co-author" Chiu Hse Yu is:

http://www.geocities.com/chiuhse_yu/

Whoever set up the user account on Geocities has fallen for the classic Western assumption that the last name is the family name of the Chinese person. Many people do write their names in the Western format: Name(s), Family Name; but many (particularly those from mainland China) still use the traditional convention of Family Name, Name(s).

So in fact Chiu Hse Yu's family name is Chiu, NOT Yu.

Looking at it again, the Geocities account could be Chiu Hse-Yu, with the underscore replacing the hyphen.I've just got the gut feeling that it is in the format of name_surname format.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into things.

I had noticed that too, but I tend to think the underscore replaces the hyphen. After all, Bannon -- or his sock-puppet Putman -- seems to know that Chiu is the family name, judging from the way she's referred to, so if they set up the fake Geocities account (and who else would have?), I don't know why they would have got that wrong.

Indeed, Bannon had better know. I've been trying to confirm the extensive list of publications he has on his website, and it seems that however far off the trolley he's now gone, he is knowledgeable about Korean (and Japanese?) history. I don't see how it would be possible for him not to know about the family name going first.

Best,
    Marnen Laibow-Koser
    marnen@marnen.org
    Last edited by marnen; 07-21-2004 at 08:02 AM.
    Marnen Laibow-Koser
    marnen@marnen.org

I know several Chinese folks who do not follow the format of surname first and given names last.

Especially once they live in a westernized country.

I don't think it's that big a deal.

However, I still regard Bannon as highly questionable regarding whether or not he is truthful about the stuff in question.

I am currently of the opinion he is not. And he hasn't really done anything to prove otherwise, or to really prove anything at all.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

FWIW

I have not heard from either Mr. Bannon or Mr. Putman since the initial stages of this investigation. I will let you know if I do, however I will reserve the right to keep the exact nature of any contact confidential at the request of either party. That's a right I reserve for all our authors and despite the concerns raised here, I must honor it - innocent until proven guilty, you know.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

In all fairness, the onus has shifted to putman and bannon simply because the "evidence" so far, indicates there is some chicanery at hand.

If we had a jury of 12 right now to say yay or nay, I get the feeling the nay side would be unanimous... you know, if we were forced to, i dunno, use a poll?

It's not hot enough in here...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

An Update

Subj: SEOUL NATIONAL UNIVERSITY
    Date: 7/29/04 10:43:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time
    To: tappingreeve@aol.com
    Sent from the Internet (Details)

Dear Samuel Pearce Browning:

This is Seoul National University and I am Kim Minnah in Office of Registration.

We cannot find any information about Mr. David Bannon, and I did not say what Mr. Putman quoted. Mr. David Bannon did not obtain Ph. D. degree from our school.

If you have more questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely yours,

Minn Ah, Kim

Registrar

The Division of Registrar

Seoul National University

E-mail: vctm061@snu.ac.kr

Tel : +82(2)880-5036

Fax : +82(2)879-2933

Personally I think this letter speaks for itself, I'd love to hear Mr. Bannon's explaination for why the supposed granting institution does not know he earned a Ph.D there.

D'oh! (Dam mit, no one was supposed to actually CHECK on that! ).
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v. v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v

v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v. v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.

ttt!

v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v. v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Still no word

I haven't heard from either Mr. Bannon or Mr. Putnam since I last said I haven't heard from them.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

re Putman

I haven't posted in a while because I'm busy chasing down leads. Right now I'm trying to confirm or deny Putman's claim that he has a book coming out in 2005 with either Putnam, Penguin, or Random house. Of course if he would just say who his editor is, and what their professional address is, I could confirm his book's existance very easily.

So let's clarify something.. thus far nothing he has said has turned out to be proven, no?
    Geoff

-A hundred enemies, a hundred cups of wine. Infinite enemies, infinite wine.-