Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaolin uniform

Re: uniform

I did discover some monk gear I'm gonna have to have. Shi Xingwei had us playing hackey-sack the other night and my big billowy MC Hammer pants kept devouring the hackey sack. I suddenly had an appreciation for the leg wraps. Heh Wonder where I could get some...

Smile Infiorm

The monk orders, both Buddhist and Daoist, were under strict control since the time of first Emperor of Ming dynasty. There were 3 levels of ministries (mostly high ranking monks with official titles) to govern them. They have strict regulations on who, when, where, what is of the monk order. Identification papers were issued as well. So no one can fade it. The Jesuits, who came to China with the trading ships, also took upon the orange robe since that time if I am not mistaken. They operationed in Japan in the same uniform. I think the situation was either they complied with the law or they would not be allowed to spread their gosple or aide the trade.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

what to wear, what to wear....

blooming lotus - I met with Rich on Saturday - he had a layover in SF on his way to Phuket. I was with another Shaolin practitioner, and the first thing I said to him (after picking up on their conversation) is "don't go to Rich for fashion advice." Those who really know Rich, know what I mean.

Scythefall - just go down to your local fabric store and buy some elastic bands. Very cheap and you can get whatever thickness feels good to you.

mantis108 - Do you have a source for that Jesuit story?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

heh heh heh...

c'mon Gene you don't dig the orange fanny pack ensemble?

SYM had an interesting thing to say about the robes.

When he was young, they couldn't really wear them.

Then, when they could, he took them very seriously. He has said that to him, they were not just a uniform or a costume...

from time asia article:
    "The monk's robe I wore on stage wasn't a costume to me," he explains. "I wanted to teach people Shaolin's traditions as they'd been taught to me. I wanted to do something real."

I like to see the patchwork ensemble of our robes after you have them for a few years you get all sorts of air conditioning vents and such.

I wish I had a dollar for every extra stitch I've had to re-sew.

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    ... johnny come lately students of western worlds ...
    How long have you been studying Shaolin? And where do you come from?

actually, I've been studying buddhism in general for around 12 yrs...shaolin only 1 ish.........amognst many other theological and philisophical strains of belief..............

Gene....lol.......that guy gets around no??......tell me...the guy was in robes right..........

on the robes...each to their own ha....no judgement here...really...

that guy gets around no??

like a bad virus... or an STD.
    Seriously, I love Rich like a brother, but if you all only knew him like I do....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

lol........

If I'mstill here when he arrives, no doubt we'll hook up and exchange ...hmmm mmm....ahhh...stuff..thoughts

really it'll be a pleasure....actually, I'm really hoping that I'll still be here when you arrive in Aug/sep....maybe we'll chat soon

Shaolin Temple Uniforms

Forgive me if this is a frivolous question; I know a sash is only good for holding up your pants, but what do the different uniforms at the Shaolin Temple mean?

For example:

I've seen a blue or gray two piece outfit with a yellow sash, and an orange or saffron outfit with a black sash.

In the Discovery Channel documentary, they showed that the kung fu students who were not studying buddhism, wore a yellow uniform with a black sash.

What is the "dress code" as it were, for the Temple? Who wears what?

Quote Originally Posted by Chan Quan View Post
    Forgive me if this is a frivolous question; I know a sash is only good for holding up your pants, but what do the different uniforms at the Shaolin Temple mean?

For example:

I've seen a blue or gray two piece outfit with a yellow sash, and an orange or saffron outfit with a black sash.

In the Discovery Channel documentary, they showed that the kung fu students who were not studying buddhism, wore a yellow uniform with a black sash.

What is the "dress code" as it were, for the Temple? Who wears what?
    you live in nyc there are like five monks here. why don't u go to one of their schools and ask. probably get a better answer. some of them even teach budhism.try the one in queens.

Well, that's worthy of a thread merge...

Chan Quan, you answered your own question with an archival search. Good for you. The archives will answer many questions. Always search before you post.

We can catch fish for you all day, but if you learn to fish, then we can move on to other things...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Chan Quan, you answered your own question with an archival search. Good for you. The archives will answer many questions. Always search before you post.

We can catch fish for you all day, but if you learn to fish, then we can move on to other things...
    Absolutely! I love this forum!!!