Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success!

Success!

Today I made Ma Po Tofu with a recipe grabbed from the Chengdu culinary institute.

As several of you are aware, my favorite Szechuan restaurant (they delivered!) recently moved over 15 miles away, up from the previous 3 minute walk.

I have been jonesing for this stuff big time. The local Cantonese restaurant, which serves mediocre Cantonese food (at best, although they have excellent shrimp won ton soup) calls Tofu in a brown sauce (dark soy, light soy, rice wine, sugar, chicken stock, touch of oyster sauce and white pepper), with a couple of dried japanese chilis thrown in "Ma Po Tofu." This is a travesty. Too much sugar! Too much (Japanese!!!!!!!) soy! Too much cornstarch! The typical Chinese retaurant woes....

Where was the rich tang of fermented horse beans with chili?! The numbing buzz of sichuan peppercorns?! How about the subtle caramel undertones of dark soy?!

To top it off, they had clearly pulled the Bean Curd straight from the fridge and added it without simmering! It was cold in the center of (the too large) cubes and the texture was too firm. BAH!

Thus began my quest to find happiness. I searched first in my copy of Eileen Yin Fei-Lo's classic "The Chinese Kitchen," a truly authoritative book.... unfortunately, she too, is a Cantonese chef and her version immediately struck me as wrong. Too lightly flavored. Not enough garlic and ginger.... just not aggressive enough. That's ok--Cantonese cooking is known for respecting its ingredients and being far more subtle than Szechuan, Hunan, etc.

So, what to do? Searches proved fruitless. Then I remembered that the old restaurant bragged they had chefs trained at the Chengdu cooking school... AH HA!!!

One look at my flat screen told me of future goodness:

Preserved Horse Beans and Chili!
    Superior Dark soy!
    Garlic and Ginger in frightening amounts!
    Szechuan Peppercorns, freshly toasted and ground!

AND........ simmering the Tofu before adding it to the dish.

It was clear to me that there was too much cornstarch in the recipe, but I chalked that up to bad translation. Teaspoon and Tablespoon could be confused easily. The rest appeared up to snuff.

So I made it. And ****ed if it wasn't almost perfect. It needs a finishing splash of either hot pepper oil or chiu chow oil (not sure which), which will require me to up the salt just by about two pinches. And the recipe recommends firm tofu. I will use soft in the future.

Wonderful!!!!!

Next stop: Ants Climb a Tree and Dan Dan noodle.....
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 03-02-2004 at 09:52 AM.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Thumbs up

And here I thought you were going to say you choked out Royce or won yet another tournament. Glad to hear you're winning on so many levels.

I also thought of you the other night: I heard one of my teacher's past students was invited to grapple in Suadi Arabia or some other middle-east country ... Unagoto, Obagato or something like that. Have you heard of it?

I keep hearing about this past student and how good he is .... drives me bonkers .... there can be only one.

won yet another tournament.
    Hmmm... I tend not to post these. Some people here have done it on their own initiative. I do post video clips because of the mutual welfare and benefit idea. Most of my clips are of me losing, soooooo....

I had an old girlfriend that beat bragging out of me. I was a socially retarded adolescent....I'm not convinced that much has changed.

As far as competing, not till my shoulder heals. Orthopedist visit tomorrow--will likely have to get it surgically repaired. I am not much for the knife, but after extensive research, there is really little that modern western or any other sort of medicine can do beyond that. I'm having to bow out of the Pan-Am's, the Arnold's and the World's this year, so I can take advantage of the training opportunities that will be availble to me this summer---gotta get cut, get healthy and kick ass.

I heard one of my teacher's past students was invited to grapple in Suadi Arabia or some other middle-east country ... Unagoto, Obagato or something like that. Have you heard of it?
    I think you mean Abu Dhabi. It's the world championship essentially, of no-gi submission work. I'm gunning to compete in the USA Abu Dhabi Trials.

But, back to the original purpose of the thread: Celebrating Ma Po Tofu.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

Dude,
    Where is the link?

please share the recipe with us all
    At a boy Luther!!!!

http://www.1vacation.com/mapotofu.html

Hot Bean Paste is Preserved Horse Beans and Chili Paste

One of the things about Chinese ingredients, if you don't know how to read Chinese, is you've got to know what you're looking at, or be able to identify what you are looking at from the label list.

Sichuan Peppercorns come in about 5 names, or are completely mislabeled, etc...

You'd love a couple of places here in town...
    I've been experimenting lately with different tofu dishes, I tend to like the really firm tofu, but I think thats just a personal thing.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Oh, sometimes Chinese spices come with just the scientific name as the translation. So, best to know those too.

What are the main differences between Hunan, Szechuan, Cantonese, etc. ?
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Where the recipes are from

Spices, what was available for ingredients, etc...

I think I read something on the web about it.. I'll try to find the link.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

mmmmmmmmm tasty! tofualicious
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Another general thing is that Peking has a bunch of fried dishes, where cantonese has more steamed.
    practice wu de

south (cantonese) - sweet and sour

north (sichuan) - hot and spicy

but those aren't hard lines, just generalisms in the cuisine from the areas.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

thanks KL, but even I knew that! I was hoping for some more specific information.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Talking Cantonese cooking...

Well, there are many different cooking techniques and flavors just within the Canton province. In fact, different perfectures, county, villages, etc have different flavors. Sweet and sour is just popular with most westernized Chinese restaurants. I think the origin of sweet and sour pork (there is a better version using leaner spare ribs) was from Canton city. So it is more a city dish. BTW, Thai people took the concept and make a 3 flavors pan fried fish dish. Typical Cantonese dishes would be really wide range (steaming, stir fries, etc...) lots of different types of sources, non expensive ingredients (ie fish heads, pork guts, veges, toufo, etc...), Soups (especially herbal), and wild games (including dogs). Coastal, creeks or river regions get more fish dishes. The use of dried or preserved ingredients is also very typical Cantonese cooking.

So within Canton there are man different regional favorites, like Hakka, Chiu Chow, San Shui, Shun De, etc... Not to mention Hong Kong has blended many of these regions dishes into its own.

Wild games and soup are a must in order to appreciate Cantonese cuisine.

Anyway, yum yum!

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Hey

Dont know if any of you guys are in to thai food but there is tjhis soup which im addicted to at the moment called Tom Yung Gung soup. Its an almost clear soup with Lemon grass, chilli, mushrooms, tomato and king prawns and **** me if it isnt the best soup known to man kind!
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan