Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Osama

OT: Osama

Irregardless of whether or not you like Dubbya, what your feelings are about the War on Terror, etc, I think everyone shuld go see this movie:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert...-osama20f.html

Here is the Roger Ebert review of it. Makes you glad we live where we live, no matter how much we may ***** and complain about it.
    ...don't think you are, know you are...

im gonna go see it. i think it looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Yet sadly it looks like the "new order" in iraq is already seeking Sharia law and is looking to kep women down.....this is even before any hand-over of power from the US.

Also it looks like a resurgence of taliban power is happening in Afganistan.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Thumbs up

really want to go see that movie now!

Without starting a flame war, depends on which "shariah" youre talking about - not the one i believe in and study for sure

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

By "sharia" I mean strict muslin law.

Now I know that there are lots of ways to look at this and that lots of groups have there own interpritation, but on the report that I was reading it looked like they were basicaly using "sharia" (am i spelling that right?) to keep women out of power and to keep power in the hands of religiouse figures.

And yres, the film does indeed look good.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

oh i am pretty sure you are correct, but why not just say "strict muslim law"?

These days every man and their dog seems to know exactly what God wants and orders others what to do or forces them to do it. I find it just as shocking as you as its completely anathema to everything i have studied

I read a great book on a similar theme called "my forbidden face" which was really amazing - the girl there had so much courage, none of the men that spout all this crud have even 1/2 that!

dawood
    Last edited by dezhen2001; 02-21-2004 at 04:14 PM.

So your not off to Nigeria to stone women to death, just because they were raped then?

actually there was a lot of press about that and a lot of knowledgeable people explained that pretty well, especially why it was wrong

Stoning in Islamic Law

Apart from the fact some groups even deny the validity of this as a punishment for adultery as it is not mentioned in Quran at all, i hope the article can give you some idea.

dawood

forgot to make it clear that in islamic law treats rape completely different to consentual adultery, and the article was about the latter.

I didnt think i needed to say that but thought i would anyway saying as how everyone is having a go at us right now

edit: its also very similar from what i know of jewish jurispudence too in regards to the same punishment.

take it easy,
    dawood

Re: OT: Osama

Originally posted by Falcor
    Irregardless
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

true dat

dawood

As far as I understrand it Shariah is law based on a bunch of precedents set over a few hundred years in trials presided over by clerics. From what I understand, a fatwa was handed down a long time ago, saying that the interpretation of the Quran for the purposes of shariah had reached its ultimate and therefore no more precedents would be set. Hence there isn't a great deal of room for interpretation on many issues.

How accurate is this?
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

dont wanna make this boring...

hmmm kinda close to my understanding

Gods Law is different from man-made understandings and interpretations of Gods Law. This is one thing even traditional scholars from back in the day were completely clear about. Of course everyone just says "shariah" to mean islamic legal theory/law but there is a difference between something that is from the foundational texts, and something that is applied by reasoning and development of man.

It wasnt just someone saying Islamic Law is fully detailed for all time, it was a heap of stuff such as the mongol invasion, the inquisition in spain and heaps of things that all influenced this. But to say that islamic law is fully detailed basically goes against some of the very principles it is based on... for example it is based on local custom (which changes from place to place: such concepts as modesty, kindness and so on, and punishments for crimes not established in the basic texts etc. are all abstract and fit in to this area) and also the principle "no one school of thought can have exclusive claim over the truth" (or else there would only be 1 school of thought, not the hundreds that developed in different places throughout history and the 4 main schools today in sunni islam).

Islamic Law has a tool called "ijtihad" which basically means free-thinking to develop solutions to thise problems which cannot be solved directly by following a text. Of course based on the principles learned from the foundational scripture and following methods of development and interpretation. In the first few generations this was prevalent as islam expanded across the middle east, and interacted with new problems and new cultures. Thats how Islamic Law developed its own principles after all. But in the middle ages this slowed down a lot as the empire rested on its laurels and "greatness" as well as heaps of things.

Anyway dont want to bore everyone - can tell what im studying huh? lol

But many today are calling for a so called "renewal" of this free thinking application... there has been this idea since at least the time of colonialism in Egypt and other places. There are heaps of scholars such as Dr. Muqtedar Khan and Dr. (Sheikh) Khaled Abou el Fadl and Tariq Ramadan to mention a few high profile names who are currently active in this respect.

Anyway probably heaps more than you wanted to hear/know but it is not an easy topic to give nice and quick answers to - if only!

(im just hoping i dont get ragged on again )

dawood

edit: by the way i love that quote of Mat in your sig LOL!
    Last edited by dezhen2001; 02-22-2004 at 01:36 AM.

Thumbs up

damn
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Thumbs up

heard a few other reviews of it too sounds cool

dawood