Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: KUNG FU HUSTLE - Stephen Chow's latest Kung Fu Flick

Red face kung fu

it is worthwhile to pay money for enjoying it in the movie theater.
    what stephen chow starred and directed kung fu is that he wants to express respect to Bruce Lee,and Martial Art .
    it is not just a comic movie but a good kung fu movie.
    Pain should be transmit from the
    outside of your body then to the inside and back to outside!

Re: kung fu

Originally posted by speedyfist
    it is worthwhile to pay money for enjoying it in the movie theater.
    what stephen chow starred and directed kung fu is that he wants to express respect to Bruce Lee,and Martial Art .
    it is not just a comic movie but a good kung fu movie.
    the kung fu is pretty good in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Just saw Kung Fu Hustle yesterday - my film of the year so far! It's absolutely brilliant, really funny and absurd. Go see it!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

something we do not know

Given the choice between Shaolin Soccer or Kung Fu which one i prefer?I think i will choose Kung Fu.Not only its CGI is 5 times better than Shaolin Soccer,but also it affects my feelings about Chow's past movies . Although it is said that he plays a role who appears half of the time,i think it doesn't diminish the importance of his role. Because played Buddha palm .The key is that Sing is not really bad ,and Sing in why did he change his mind to hit the top world's killer(Fire-clouded devil)with a stick,and why did he stop fighting to that crazy guy untill he the play always said "i am not a good man,i want to kill blah..blah.."but if someone were a bad guy ,how can he or she say "i want to kill a person,and i wanna be a bad person!" Because bad guys kill people without reasons instead of hesitating about that! So he can hit TOP world's killer right now.However,Sing was struggling with right and wrong as if he was on the edge of darkness,and stood on the steel bar where he waited for someone give him a push. Who did push him at this moment? Yes! What you think is that girl.She told him with sign language. "Hey! Did you forget?You saved me in the past!" But,Stephen Chow told the reporter that mute girl's lines should be " Hey! Did you forget?you are a good person!why you robbed me ? Thus,Sing were facing the dilemma of being a good person or a bad guy. Finally,Sing said to himself and realised that he is a good man! This is why he was for the landlady and landlord.Likewise,after he got hurt badly,the landlady asked him "how come you became righteous?Have you got something to say?" Then,Sing drew a stick of candy with his blood. In fact,it shows that he is a good man within,and is ready to do what he has to do and what he is prepared to do.It is similar to following his instincts like 6 guys in Shaolin Soccer who had found their roles after they got punched in the match.
    To sum up,every time i see Kung Fu ,i have a different feeling. It is worthwhile to pay money to see it again and again!Stephen Chow not only earns our money,but also makes everyone laugh and cry!

It is a logical argument that Sing struck Beast with a stick due to
    Stephen Chow's press interview.
    Last edited by speedyfist; 01-25-2005 at 08:13 PM.

subtitles anyone?

I'm sure there was a spoiler in that last post, but I couldn't get past the syntax and grammer. I just read this morning that there's a new book out on Animal language that poses the argument against it since animals don't have syntax (an old argument really). Obviously, the author has never studied chinglish...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I think it's spoiler protected text - having seen the movie I can kinda understand his post (kinda), but I can also see quite clearly where your confusion comes from!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Re: subtitles anyone?

Originally posted by GeneChing
    I'm sure there was a spoiler in that last post, but I couldn't get past the syntax and grammer. I just read this morning that there's a new book out on Animal language that poses the argument against it since animals don't have syntax (an old argument really). Obviously, the author has never studied chinglish...
    it seems you are capable of understanding many languages.
    So,you may check Chow's interview presented as follow.
    討 論 題 目  周星馳: 我是中國的靈魂 從來都是  16/01
    2004年12月,《功夫》上畫,打破_輕銋q影票房所有紀錄 。上星期三,特_漪I政報告出台,主張推動_輕鉹憭く郱N 產業,並將電影業點名成當中的龍頭旗艦。此時此刻,向 周星馳取經提問,意義_咫j。
    第一節星爺自發批判傳媒,內容一針見血,日後有機會在 我的文化理論課再講,在此不贅。第二節我訪問星爺,由 《功夫》的一招一式、講到港式創意產業的終極精神,和 華人電影在全球化底下何去何從的大問題。第三節星爺訪 問我,問談情說愛如何可以做到「虛無縹緲,又蕩氣迴腸 」﹖
    近兩小時的聚_措L後,同行的編輯成功地取得了星爺的親 筆簽名,我也成功地確認了兩件_冒n的事情﹕
    周星馳是一_茼酗艀雩ㄙ犒q影人。想真正了解星爺的電影 世界,不_n問他《西遊記》是否代表後現代,大理論他自 認不在行。也不_n一本正經地問他特區政府究竟如何可以振興創意產業 。(我_抶桯L問他,他露出一_茈菾磽〞滷ㄠ扛穜﹛A然後望 我說﹕「不如你答」。)相反,問他如來神掌第二式和第 八式有何不同,趙薇光頭前和光頭後的心情因何有異,他會舉一反三、如數碗碟。我對《功夫》提出不 少批評,他明顯地全部想過,而且想得很多、很細、很入 肉。我問世界電影市場霸道底下,如何可以堅持本土地道 電影特色﹖他說堅持本土地道特色,「攬住這_蚅_」,就 是打入世界電影市場最好的方法。三分精靈,七分確切, 十分周星馳。
    在以下的專訪,你會見到一_茼酗腄B有腦、有情、有趣的 周星馳。《功夫》對_輕鉹憭く郱N產業的啟示,莫過於此 。

(一)功夫是怎樣練成的﹖

明報專訊】吳﹕吳俊雄 周﹕周星馳
    吳﹕《功夫》上映後評論很多,有批評指這戲不似周星馳 的電影。他_抳‘H前周星馳的故事性強,小人物性格很立 體,無厘頭的笑話很厲害,但今次這些東西相對較弱。有 一_茪漲a網民說《功夫》特技太犀利,情節反而被壓下去 ,小人物的性格含糊,你是否同意﹖
    無論觀眾如何評價 我都同意
    周﹕特技太犀利,都同意,特技都幾犀利的。小人物性格 ……基本上觀眾無論有什麼評價或者感想,我都是同意的。戲拍了出來 ,觀眾去看,就是觀眾話事,你只能做一_蚑晢捸A有那些有用,我需_n再改良 ,有那些是我_n取捨的。
    吳﹕以前的戲你由頭帶到尾,場_惚雃h細節,人物很立體 ,但在這戲,你12分鐘之後才出場,好多群戲,變成放在 無賴星仔灶上的戲相對短少,有人就批評主角由無賴變成 好人的過程醞釀並不足夠。
    周﹕當然我拍時是覺得夠的,出來後如果有人覺得不夠, 這_罝n跟進一下,希望下次連這方_掖ㄟ策n。你拍每套電 影都有一些不同的東西想試,講明是群戲,相對來說你自 己的戲就會少點,你就_n貴精不貴多。當然有人覺得這不 足夠,但以我現在的程度,我覺得OK。我覺得有些東西我 已經鋪排了進去,但當然_n觀眾覺得「是啊」才是……我自己好怕一件事﹕喂﹗不是啊 ﹗呢──記得起嗎﹖我在第32分鐘呢……喂,我那堣ㄛO 有_茬o樣的場_情A我那堛熒N思不就是什麼什麼來﹖這樣 就死了,你_n這樣每格告訴他,我這埵訛荂u啦」字,那 堣S有_茪偵簹F西,你都get不到……觀眾看不到,是你做得不夠,你再去告訴他是無用的。我只 能說,這_罝n再研究,再跟進。

多看幾次《功夫》 可能另有發現

吳﹕我明白你不喜歡「解畫」,但有兩點我想追問。第一 是周星馳的角色由一_蚅篘儹蚰@的人,忽然變得好有正義 感,與梁小龍做一_茖獄礞j犧牲的搏鬥,那_茤坋磏鉣亃q 何而來﹖第二是主角最後彈上3萬_^呎之後,忽然頓悟, M後一_茼p來神掌打下來那段,其實我小時也是功夫片迷,我常覺得一_荋雲q人能夠變成一_蚍F害的功 夫人,中間一定有一_蚢L程,我覺得戲中對此缺乏交代。

i think i wrote it from here "周﹕那無法不解釋一下了。我_鴠貌熒Q法,是那人正站 b一_蚚雿t,他本灶是一_茼n的底子,不過環境令他以為 Q走另一條路。由第一場開始他在掙扎,可見他根本不是 @_蚚a人,他不斷在說「我不是_茼n人,我_n如何如何」 A但壞人怎會說這樣的對白﹖一_蚚a人,他怎會說「我_n 人,我_n做壞人」。那一下他砰一聲打下去火雲邪神處 A其實他是隨時都會這樣做的。他處在邊緣,站在鋼線上 A就在等人推他一把……那誰去推他一把呢﹖就是那_茪k 臚l,那女孩告訴他﹕喂,你忘了呀,你救過我。其實那 u正的台詞是﹕喂,你忘了呀,你是好人來的,為什麼你 揮T呀﹖於是他就好矛盾,之後隔了一兩場戲又去到最後 榕蚋鈺岈I,先前推了他,是否就即是讓他明白﹕我明了 A_鴩荍甯O_茼n人﹖不是的,戲劇上不是這樣,_n去到某_ 茼魽A某_荍鉧靰漲魽A一是這邊,一是那邊,他就回去自 v所屬的地方,那一棍結果他打下去_蚚a人那堙C於是最 寣A我又在破廟round up,元秋元華問點解你會突然間這樣﹖你還有什麼話說﹖ 然後他畫了一枝波板糖,其實這就等於告訴大家﹕其實我 就是這樣。又是歸位的意思。"

這些東西,我是第一次說出來,大家不明瞭,我認為是有 技術上做得不好。不過,《西遊記》一開始上映時,人_ 沒有那麼瘋狂,後來多看幾次,呀﹗這_茯O這樣﹔再看, 呀﹗那_茯O那樣。有時,我覺得《功夫》會不會有這_茈i 能﹖多看兩次,你會覺得,咿──全部有齊喎。這_茪ㄔX 奇。

日度夜度 都是幫其他人度

吳﹕這次你的確少了用對白,多用了波板糖。

周﹕其實這_茪]是我想嘗試的。嘗試有時需_n有膽量。那些人說﹕嘩,你 差一句對白,為什麼不說出來﹖你說出來又無人話你,說 出來是天公地道,為什麼不說﹖想試試,看又如何。那時 我認為不應該說出來,譬如有些位,像波板糖,我想不到 一句對白,我想了很久,呀,他應該說些什麼﹖說那_茠i板糖令我走回正義的路 上,你怎樣說﹖未必沒有這樣一句對白,是我想不出吧。

關於收起星仔這一點,我不知是否因為導演的工作。其實我自己_n求好高,作為一_蚞仴t,第 一你_n講整_茯G事,第二你_n處理每一_蚨t_的部分,你 _n他_怢C一_茬ㄞS別一點。我記得拍《功夫》時,好多東 西,日度夜度,大部分都是幫其他演_度的。以前自己拍戲,每一秒 都在想自己跟茖漸y可以怎樣,跟茠滌囮@可以怎樣,但 現在大部分時間我都在想他_n怎樣,我總覺得我自己「是 但啦」,「得謚捸v。我自己都想再發揮得好一點,再勁 點,再「出」一點,但有時顧此失彼。這_荓↙G在每一天 拍攝都是如此,我最留意的肯定不是自己,我最留意的一 定有其他演_,即使在看熒幕,都是在講其他人,然後有 _茪H來告訴我,「喂,你_魙i喎」,大家都ok了,但自己 「_曮Y好掂」。

二)如來神掌打出全球化

【明報專訊】吳﹕這套戲有好多招式,如鐵線拳和如來神 掌,全部都是我_怳p時_唻ㄨL的東西。《功夫》成功的地 方,是將這些模糊的印象變成一些我_怓搊o見的東西。但 是有關練功這件事我想追問一下。功夫片我覺得最緊_n不 是最後的輸贏,而是練功的過程。例如《少林三十六房》 其實完全是講練功的。練功令一_茪H的性格改變,思想道 行更上一層樓,片中見到的如來神掌是一_茼n超級的武功 ,但好像突然出現,是不是你想了3日也想不到如何表達,因此放棄練功﹖

周﹕其實不是想不到,是今次不想做練功。練功是功夫 片必備的東西,我_茪H尤其有興趣,因為我都是練功的。我的經驗是,在電影中有一樣主力的東 西做得出來,已經好難得,千萬不_n想荌筐熉芊A或者三 樣,是不能的。其實我最想做是好多高手,有高手,又有 高手,跟住再有高手,這臥虎藏龍的感覺。嘩﹗_鴩茈L又 是,跟住有_茼A勁點又出來,這也是以前看功夫片自己很荌g的。我想今次主力做這_荂A所 有東西都神秘點,不是你看茈L_W練3年有成。

吳﹕這套戲拍了很久,你覺得最困難的部分在_﹖

正正_n選最地道的

周﹕最困難是你_n決定做這些東西。_漸我_n決定拍功 夫片,然後是什麼功夫片﹖傇悼握偵礡S是虎鶴雙形還是 如來神掌﹖因為好不同,功夫範疇好廣,你_n有實有虛,該如何處理﹖ 當我最後決定做如來神掌、獅吼功和六指琴魔時,都有好多不同的意見。你_n告訴別人,為什麼我覺得 是work的。我實情認為這些是我_岯輕鉿n地道的文化。當 然也有人認為是太地道了,除了_輕銦A誰會明白什麼是如來神 掌﹖但我正正_n揀最地道的東西,將它做到適合其他地方 的人的口味,因為其他地方的人,正正就_n他未看過的、不知道的、聽也未聽過的。譬如你為外國人煮_飽A難道你煮漢堡包給他﹖你當然弄_蚇N賣、排骨叉燒飯加隻煎蛋——太陽蛋、雲吞麵、「有咁地道得咁地道」。我亦相信他一定喜歡這些, 他無理由來到你處,_鳩A的東西,無理由又想你做_蚨~堡 包或煎件扒來_鳩a﹗

我一定_n最地道的東西,但我_n用最好的技術,將它做 到最好的quality,所以我一定用那些東西,包括_絳痋C有人會問,「_曮Y呀嘛﹖又如來神掌﹖」我就係 ,一定_n係,無得_曮Y﹗你千萬不_n功虧一簣,最後弄_ 貝多芬來襯如來神掌,這就「死畀你睇」﹗我的想法是﹕ 最地道的東西,是「寶」來的,好多都是「寶」來的,只 是我_怳ㄦ磳收O一回事,它就不是一回事,但你當它是一 回事,其實它真的可以是「寶」。現在我_怞b所有的地方 都破了華語片的紀錄,在經濟的角度看,其實我是做了很 好的事,但沒有人意識到,可能大家只覺得我在_輕鉿菑v 跟自己鬥。當然我不會說電影是十全十美,不過_n留意今 次,雖然這_茪虪s《功夫》,但它是非常有_輕鉿漹m的東 西,以往人_怍瓵蚺δn太localise,說太過本地化,一定 不成的。我覺得未必如此。我今次是掉轉來想,不locali se的不用,暫時來說,so far so good。

吳﹕你有沒有看過張藝謀的《十_戛I伏》和《_^雄》﹖ 很多人都拿這兩套戲跟你的《功夫》比較,說大家都在做 一_茼酗什磥憭かS色,又有世界市場吸引力的東西。但有 人批評《十_戛I伏》是拍給西人看的,將一些表_惜W很中 國的東西搞到很漂亮、很舞蹈化,但沒有地道質感。你自 己看這兩套戲時怎麼想﹖

周﹕《十_戛I伏》我沒有看。《_^雄》我看了,《_^雄》 我自己是喜歡的。當然在中國東方的_麈嚏B題材,給我做 ,我覺得還有很多可以發揮,但我覺得都算不錯。總之那 時看完,行出戲院我朋友問我﹕得_爣o呀﹖,我話「得﹗ 」,咁樣囉。
    我是中國的靈魂 從來都是
    吳﹕有沒有看過《標殺令》﹖
    周﹕有。我看完之後朋友問我﹕得_爣o﹖,我話「得﹗」 ,咁樣囉。他(泰_菑悒ㄐ^是一_茼n喜歡_輕銋q影的導演,當然他拍的是 一_茈~國片,外國靈魂,但用中國的東西包裝。
    吳﹕我想你應該正由另一邊出發。
    周﹕我是中國的靈魂。哈哈哈。從來都是。
    明報專訪  百老匯論壇http://www.cinema.com.hk/forum/c_for...?TitleID=33712
    Last edited by speedyfist; 01-18-2005 at 06:15 AM.

speedyfist, that was even worse

But I've just seen Kung Fu Hustle and I was right, there were spoilers in your review, which is considered bad form unless you warn the reader beforehand. And Serpent's right, your review does make more sense.

I thoroughly enjoyed Kung Fu Hustle. It's a very strange film, strange like Shaolin Soccer with irreverent detours and innovative use of CGI. Chow is now one of my favorite filmmakers. He's a maverick, breaking the mold and re-interpreting the genre. And he always succeeds in making me laugh. I've been thinking about how to describe this film to people who haven't seen it without giving any spoilers, and I keep wanted to compare it to Shaolin Soccer, since that's the only film I can think of that's in the ballpark. Like Shaolin Soccer, it pushes the edge of the envelope on what a martial arts film can be. It's much darker and more serious - in a way - but then it has these classic moments of Chow-only insanity. Clear homage moments are given to Bruce Lee and Matrix. But Chow is smart - knowing he can't do what Lee did (some of the fights and gestures are scene-for-scene lifts of Lee) he makes up for it with hilarious CGI. And what a great role for Chiu Chi Ling! Plus my old friend Lunza (Shaolin monk Shi Xingwu) plays Coolie. There's even a tribute scene to the Road Runner. No one has come close to emulating Shaolin Soccer yet, and Kung Fu Hustle will be the same. I'm not sure which film I liked better in the end. Shaolin Soccer was more cohesive in a way - more digestible by pop culture. On the whole, it had better flow. Kung Fu Hustle has more obvious moments that appeal to the martial artist. It has some hairpin plot turns, or better put, atmospheric turns. It's more predictable, especially if you know Kung Fu films. Like Zhang Yimou's Hero and House of Flying Daggers, I don't think a comparision between the two films is really fair, but inevitable.

I'll have to see KFH again a few times. I'd definately recommend it. I'm trying to acquire a good universal platform DVD for MartialArtsMart.com . This film, and Jackie Chan's New Police Story have renewed my faith in Hong Kong movie making.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I liked KFH quite a bit too -- Chow has made some really funny movies over the years, and he keeps getting better. My personal favorite of his though still remains "The God of Cookery" -- Karen Mok's character is quite unforgettable in that one!
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Talking Hustle

This is a really great Kung Fu flick i saw it when i was on a 17 day wushu training trip in the Zhejiang province it was awsome.

Lightbulb Shaolin Lube

So Shaolin Lube you really do admit that you went out with Kelly from hangzhou. Didnt she ask you if you were married!?

Hey! Shaolinlueb!!

You didn't say anything about that in your e-zine story. That's sounds like the good dirt. Why ever did you hold out on us?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: Hey! Shaolinlueb!!

Originally posted by GeneChing
    You didn't say anything about that in your e-zine story. That's sounds like the good dirt. Why ever did you hold out on us?
    **** jojo look what you did now. so yeah i went to the thearter with this girl to see it. we get there shes asking me if i have gf, if i ever want to get married. which do i like better for kids, boy or girl, and such. i was just humble and answered them. i did treat to the thearter and she got me 10 yuan off. she didnt even translate that much for me. the physical comedy was good. but no subtitles. well chinese ones. she writes me a lot now. good thing she hasnt mentioned anything about coming to america to see me or marriage, cause shes only my friend. if i need a chinese girl in china, i have auntie who was trying to hook me up with a couple girls. cause she thought it was horrible that i was single, nice and 23. then the security guy i became good friends with, when i go back we are going to his hometown for fun.

and when did you see it jojo with kelly, nancy, dan, wayne, ed, and javier?
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

The email

Hey me Javier and abunch of theother guys got these emails from them like be happy and healthy to teach them chinese or something like that. Did you get it

Re: The email

Originally posted by ShaolinJOJO
    Hey me Javier and abunch of theother guys got these emails from them like be happy and healthy to teach them chinese or something like that. Did you get it
    yeah! but it was teach them english and they will help me with my chinese. one of them is like maybe i can visit you. i was like avoiding it all together. oh man.