Thread: Portland, Oregon schools

Question Portland, Oregon schools

I'm not sure if I want to study a TMA or MMA or both. Can anyone recommend some good schools in the Portland, Oregon area? I know there are a lot and from what I've seen on this forum there are some I should stay away from! Thanks in advance.

pm or e-mail taoofwushu -- he moved his bak sil lum (northern shaolin) school up from medford just recently. if that doesn't work, bug me and i'll get you in touch with him.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Stay away from anything called Temple Kung Fu, as it is neither from a Temple or Kung Fu.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

MK is right -- olaf has a few schools in this neck of the woods, and they should all be skipped.

there's also a school called far east fighting arts or something, and i suggest you avoid it as well.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

www.straightblastgym.com

They are having a huge get-together in Portland at the end of March, too.

strike!

portland schools

Portland has a bunch of good schools.
    1)Bak Shaolin ying Jow pai at the VA. 2)Jook Lum Bamboo Temple S. Mantis in the China Town cultural center with Sifu Kao-also tai chi in the beginning3)Sifu Greg Fong for tai chi hsing yi, i-chuan 4) Poukkelan (sp) One With Heart 5) Straight Blast Gym and there are also others such as the off-shoots of Al Dascoscos, there's a wing chun school in the southwest, a couple of wu shu schools, and a number of other internal arts teachers. Also Tony Clark teaches 7* down in Eugene, and there's folks with garage schools with great training-jeet kune do, mixed martial arts, etc. The BEST is from west java.

Thumbs up Portland schools

Thanks for the suggestions. I had no idea there were so many good TMA schools in my area.

Re: portland schools

Originally posted by Pilgrim
    The BEST is from west java.
    I'm guessing this is Steven Plinck. If so, he's got a terrific reputation.

Does he teach serak or bukti negara (either one of which is probably okay for the majority of people)?
    Wing Chun has lots of sayings. If sayings won fights, WC would rule the world (presumably by talking its opponents to death).

Empirical evidence strongly suggests this has yet to happen.

--anerlich

fragbot

What is serak or bukti negara? I've never heard of these. Also Tao of Wushu if you read this where is your school located? If not I'll just pm you. Any more suggestions on Portland schools would be greatly appreciated.

Re: fragbot

Originally posted by NMguy
    What is serak or bukti negara? I've never heard of these. Also Tao of Wushu if you read this where is your school located? If not I'll just pm you. Any more suggestions on Portland schools would be greatly appreciated.
    Serak is a type of Indonesian (specifically, Javanese) silat. Bukti Negara is a derivative of serak that's stream-lined to be faster and easier to learn than the parent system. If you're interested, I suspect Steven Plinck's hard to get ahold of, but Todd Ellner (one of Plinck's students; he and his wife are certified to teach bukti negara) could probably help you. Likewise, I think Brandt Bollers is in Portland as well.
    Wing Chun has lots of sayings. If sayings won fights, WC would rule the world (presumably by talking its opponents to death).

Empirical evidence strongly suggests this has yet to happen.

--anerlich

serak,

check out a number of web sites on pencak silat to find at least some answers to some questions.
    Last edited by Pilgrim; 01-26-2004 at 11:02 PM.

It all depends on what you're really looking for. TCMA...there's a few schools....MMA...there's QUITE a few schools.....

~Wen~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

Hi NMguy!

If you would? Please just e-mail me here.

~Jason
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com