Originally posted by Ultimatewingchun
Simon:

Played a lot of sports when I was a kid and a young teenager...including Catch Wrestling at the age of 12-13-14...and for the next ten years - (I started with Wing Chun at the age of 24.5)...

I played lead guitar in various local rock/soul/blues bands around the metropolitan New York area here.

When disco came in...I got out...Good to dance to...terrible to play as a musician.

AND BESIDES...IT WAS TIME TO DO WING CHUN...which is something I'll take with me all the way to the end !
Sounds very similar to me (except the catch - not very experienced on the ground yet!) - played lead for a rock/blues/grunge type band for about 5 years in Perth, but just when we were getting some national radio play the band went different directions because of day jobs!

Found Wing Chun a couple of month later and now all my creative energy goes there. definitely training it to the end too!

re: disco - never enjoyed just clicking on the wah wah - scratching along to a heavy base line and calling it a song?

Originally posted by anerlich

Bang on, Simon. That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Once your own performance becomes the focus, you start to handicap yourself. Affirmations, self-evaluation, and meditation are all good, but during training, not during a fight!
ok so from your personal experience - progressive resistance, attempted realism in the the class etc is the kind of ideas you have used to concentrate on the exterior.

I guess thats what I was asking above, first hand accounts of a meditative state not making you concentrate on yourself, or your training, instead calming the interior so you can more easily concentrate on the exterior. This may be kung fu movie mumbo jumbo - thats why I am asking.