Page 20 of 59 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin-Do answers challenge.

Originally posted by Judge Pen

BTW, Okami, what style do you practice?
    I study Kokyuto Bujutsu. It is an eccletic style.

I usually get a little grief on this forum for the Japanese name. It translates roughly to Fighting Techniques of the Far East.

The name is however, is just a name. Our curriculum is ever evolving, and usually rank testing is personalized.

I am very lucky to have an instructor that has no ego problems about his martial art. Many times I have asked him questions and he not only encouraged me to look elsewhere for the answers, but called instructors from other styles to set up an appointment for me to train with them. All of his senior students (we are a small group of less than 20) have done the same.
    We are encouraged to explore other styles and bring our new knowledge home to examine and blend into our personal styles.

I guess this is why I like the SD lineage arguments. I am interested in the history of all matrial arts styles because our style is so very diverse. I like the freedom that my instructor encourages in us. Under his guidance I have attended schools of Shotokan, Tae Kwon Do, Shaolin Do, Jujutsu (small circle, sport, and Brazilian), Kung fu and trained with a college wrestling team. The most painful lesson I ever learned was with some Boxers at the Boys Club, OUCH!

I have been trained to have no prejudice to any style. I hope that I can teach my own students someday to look at the martial arts world the same way.

I hope this wasn't too much of an answer.
    Badges?
    We don't need no stinking badges!

Thanks Okami. Your posts on the history of SD is great in that it is very objective: Not confirming or denying what SD, but merely stating what may or may not be true. Its good to hear that your instructor is so open with you studying other styles. I know some who would not allow that.

Have you ever trainded with any of Hiang The's students?

I've sparred with some boxers, kickboxers, and some bjj students. You're right, some painful lessons there. It's good to get outside your circle and fight as many different people of different styles as you can. It's hard to understand your own style without some perspective.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 07-08-2003 at 06:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I have trained with both Sin and Hiang's students.

Not hard to do around KY.
    Badges?
    We don't need no stinking badges!

Originally posted by themeecer

Listen little boy, I was studying Shaolin Do while you were still sucking on your momma's tittie. You are all of 19 years old? Maybe when you have lived 19 more years you will learn some respect. Just because Shaolin Do isn't full of some f a ggoty hopping around and running around in circles that makes it non authentic? You do understand that what is viewed as "kung fu" today was the Chinese government's attempt to create a national sport. I am getting sick and tired of all the namecalling. Why don't you just leave the forums and go back to playing quake or watching UFC reruns. It amazes me that if my art isn't real how I have been able to defend myself in the few misfortunate times I have had to use it in real life, the last time being against 3 attackers. This with my meager abilities.

I would not insult your masters and I ask that you don't insult mine either.
    aren't we fiesty.
    A street fighter can defend himself too. and so can an 800 lb man. A white belt can defend himself and I could come up with 50 different movements off the top of my head using slo mo that may work in a fight. Want to really test your skill? Go up against someone who can fight for real. There are toooo many things that just scream that Shaolin-Do is fake. If it were truly "real" Shaolin, then they would of obviously be wearing sashes. Why? Because the chinese know that wearing the sash around your stomach tucks the organs in and creates health benefits. Any real grand master would know this. Why? Because back in the day in china, people would be skilled in many things. What's more, is that they do that especially at Shaolin Temples.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Originally posted by red5angel
    ok ok I think I got the right quote, it was from Merryprankster - "Me grappler, you striker. Me crush striker with two hands, all twelve fingers."

no, that doesn't sound right...dangit!
    Keep trying man, you gotta win sometime. I mean hell, people win the lotery!
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Originally posted by Kymus

If it were truly "real" Shaolin, then they would of obviously be wearing sashes. Why? Because the chinese know that wearing the sash around your stomach tucks the organs in and creates health benefits. Any real grand master would know this. Why? Because back in the day in china, people would be skilled in many things. What's more, is that they do that especially at Shaolin Temples.

Are you saying that if you don't wear sashes a style can't have roots in the Shaolin temples?
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Talking yes judge that IS what he is saying

he is saying that if you dont look shaolin,,if you dont have that groovy shaolin "LOOK" and image. you are not shaolin.
    yer all just a bunch o karate gi wearin non shaolin fruity guys.....somethin,,,,,,,yeah,,thats it,,,,your all fruitloops.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quick, I need to work on my image!

What if I looked like this:

http://terriblemonk.org/gallery/Imag...-1/DragonFest4

Am I shaolin enough now?

karate hands picture poses rule

Talking hehehehe

and you can tell that victor wong is real impressed with this joker too. (is that victor?)
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Re: hehehehe

Originally posted by The Willow Sword
    and you can tell that victor wong is real impressed with this joker too. (is that victor?)
    Who cares about Victor? Could I impress these:

http://terriblemonk.org/gallery/Imag...-1/DragonFest3

I think that's Gerald Okamuro (sp?), not Victor Wong.

Kymus is correct about the proper use of sashes, but just because you don't wear one, doesn't mean you aren't related to Shaolin. It just means your organs are jiggling around inside your body cavity, possibly causing serious injury.

Now, wearing a belt is a different story....
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Could I impress these
    For some reason I think the answer is a big emphatic NO.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

what is it with shaolin guys always posing on cliffs etc?

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Originally posted by norther practitioner

For some reason I think the answer is a big emphatic NO.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence NP.