Page 19 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin-Do answers challenge.

Originally posted by joedoe
    Not only with you doing it, but in slippery shoes too! (Sounds a bit like William Cheung doesn't it? )
    Oh no! I used a William Cheung excuse!

*beats self about the head and shoulders with burning brands*

It won't happen again!

Of course, it my case it was a valid excuse!

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Yes yes, there there Serpent. We believe you
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

[Cartman voice]

Go******!

[/Cartman voice]

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

http://www.shaolin-do.com/schools/schoollocations.gif

Dang man, they are REALLY gathered around that one state there. Um...yeah...that one. You know...uhhh...lemme get my Atlas...

Kentucky!!!

Yeah that state. Wow, alot of them right there.
    I have a signature.

Originally posted by PHILBERT
    http://www.shaolin-do.com/schools/schoollocations.gif

Dang man, they are REALLY gathered around that one state there. Um...yeah...that one. You know...uhhh...lemme get my Atlas...

Kentucky!!!

Yeah that state. Wow, alot of them right there.
    Yeah, that's where Sin and Hiang went to school. Every town in Kentucky has a SD kwoon there.

I grew up in Virginia close to the kentucky border. There wasn't much of a choice. There was an Ishin-ryu (sp) school close by and an "American Freestyle" school and a Sheshen-Ky (sp) school around at one time.

In Kentucky there are several students of SD (be it active or former students). Unfortunately, the chances of meeting a good SD student are slim since there are so many bad representations out there.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 07-07-2003 at 03:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Joe, how many of these weapons does your style study and how early do you begin with them?
    Staff, short stick, broadsword, sai (or equivalent like iron truncheon), and kwan-dao?
    Last edited by Radhnoti; 07-07-2003 at 07:48 PM.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Originally posted by Radhnoti
    Joe, how many of these weapons does your style study and how early do you begin with them?
    Staff, short stick, broadsword, sai (or equivilent like iron truncheon), and kwan-dao?
    All of them. Usually we teach staff first, then broadsword. Short stick, sai (or equivalent), and kwan-dao are taught as the teacher sees fit to teach. There are a whole bunch of other weapons taught as well. Usually weapons training does not begin until someone has had at least 6 months to a year of open hand training first.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Originally posted by joedoe

All of them. Usually we teach staff first, then broadsword. Short stick, sai (or equivalent), and kwan-dao are taught as the teacher sees fit to teach. There are a whole bunch of other weapons taught as well. Usually weapons training does not begin until someone has had at least 6 months to a year of open hand training first.
    Doesn't sound that different from SD. Staff first (after about 6 months) followed by short stick, broadsword, sai, and Kwan Dao. Then spear and jian. Does your school (or a school in your style) have a website?
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I have to disagree with the statement about a lot of bad SD students being out there.

I have met several SD students and instructors, and I have found most of them to be pretty good students and have a pretty good attitude.

This is not unlike my experience with most martial artists I have met from all styles. I would safely say that martial arts either attracts people I like or martial arts develops personalities that I like.
    Badges?
    We don't need no stinking badges!

Originally posted by Judge Pen

Doesn't sound that different from SD. Staff first (after about 6 months) followed by short stick, broadsword, sai, and Kwan Dao. Then spear and jian. Does your school (or a school in your style) have a website?
    I assume that it is a fairly common pattern in teaching - gotta get the foundations right before you start them swinging weapons around . Staff also appears to be the weapon of choice to teach first, I guess because it is reasonably easy to teach to beginners without having the danger of them cutting something off It also incorporates a lot of techniques that translate to other weapons, and to some open hand as well.

No, my school does not have a website, but there are a couple of websites for schools from the same lineage. I will see what I can find for you.

I've always been interested in a site with Joe's style's lineage as well. It's really interesting to me that your style came through SE Asia too, do you guys acknowledge any changes that came about from your time spent there? Don't suppose you wear gis, eh? Any of your teachers ever mention any discrimination your style had to put up with as a foreign art? Any sister schools left behind in Malaysia? And if so, have they altered their way of teaching from your school's?

Thanks joe.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Originally posted by Radhnoti
    I've always been interested in a site with Joe's style's lineage as well. It's really interesting to me that your style came through SE Asia too, do you guys acknowledge any changes that came about from your time spent there? Don't suppose you wear gis, eh? Any of your teachers ever mention any discrimination your style had to put up with as a foreign art? Any sister schools left behind in Malaysia? And if so, have they altered their way of teaching from your school's?

Thanks joe.
    No gis. We wear while t-shirts and black trackpants.

Our school was only one step removed from the mainland in that our Sigung grew up in China then had to leave China when the Japanese invaded and he ended up in Malaysia. Hence there hasn't been much time for the style to have been affected by local arts.

Our teachers never mentioned any discrimmination other than what was usually perpetrated on the Chinese businesses in Malaysia. In fact, our Sigung was awarded a Datukship (akin to a knighthood) for his services to the community.

The Malaysian school is actually the headquarters of our school. My teacher is the son of our Sigung, and our teaching and that of the headquarter school is almost identical. Only slight differences have occurred, mostly based on the individual preferences of various teachers.

Originally posted by Okami
    I have to disagree with the statement about a lot of bad SD students being out there.

I have met several SD students and instructors, and I have found most of them to be pretty good students and have a pretty good attitude.

This is not unlike my experience with most martial artists I have met from all styles. I would safely say that martial arts either attracts people I like or martial arts develops personalities that I like.
    I don't think that we are necessarily disagreeing. There are excellent SD students and instructors in KY and other places. My point is that several people have been exposed to SD and that means that several quit training either before black or right after reaching black. They may then talk about SD and their experiences and even show something that they learned and do quite a horrible job representing what was originally taught.

"Yeah I took that when I was a kid. Can still do my tiger form. Wanna' see?"

BTW, Okami, what style do you practice?
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 07-08-2003 at 06:06 AM.

To Evad & JP

I apologize for the delay in getting back, I've been in the middle of moving and with the holiday and everything, I haven't had time to do much online.
    I started in SD back in 96 under Bill Leonard. I got up to 1st brown and left. I left after I had had enough of the lies and attitude. Shortly thereafter I found Master Hiang's group and started training with them. I eventually got up to 2nd black, was going to all the advanced classes/seminars etc and was helping teach a class at one point. I haven't been there since late last year. I am now doing brazilian jiujitsu, which I had crosstrained in from time to time over the years, but never consistently enough to build on anything. I left so I could focus on and do bjj exclusively. I will probably start kickboxing and mma as well soon, but I'm pretty satisfied with just grappling for now. I still have a lot
    of respect for Master Hiang, my other instructor and the group I trained with. The reasons I left were because I became interested in something else, which was an interest that developed over time.
    On the other hand, my experience with SD was negative. I don't really have time to go into
    everything here, most of it has already been brought up, either recently or in past threads. Basically there are way too many lies going around, mainly being spread by Sin The' and too much crap in general. I can't say I have one ounce of respect for the guy to be quite honest , and I met him several times before and
    yes, he was always very courteous and nice to me, complimenting me on my tests and all that. Of
    course, this would happen after showing up an hour or more late to the test, which happened every
    single time. But I digress. Feel free to email if you'd like to talk more.

Thanks, GD. I'd like to talk more.