Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do ya think of this school?

Question what do ya think of this school?

Hi
    I'm looking for a good school in leicester,UK. I found this one but it looks a little dodge to me. Can anyone tell if it is legit? What do you think anyway?

thanks for any help

http://www.chun-seh-dau-school-of-sh..._Info_Page.htm

that's what i thought. Unfortunately there are lots of them in Leicester. "Gannons black belt academy", "school of hope and glory". I knew before i asked really, still would of been handy, they train near me. Where do you think these guys learn the forms?

Actually, I was at a belt cermony at Shaolin Temple

A teacher wanted to present some students with their belts inside Shaolin Temple. The teach was an ass. The students were kids. The monks said 'whatever.' It was kind of surreal.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The teach was an ass. The students were kids. The monks said 'whatever.'
    That's a pretty phat lyric Gene

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

That is pretty funny, I guess you could have belt ceromony anywhere....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

"chi kung,chi sau(breathing)" the site under shoalin styles
    What the hell is that?

I shoulda been a lyricist...

I actually have a huge tale that leads up to that belt ceremony story, something I've been meaing to pen for an upcoming Shaolin trip. I won't be as political as the last one but it'll have some deep digs against mcdojos, plus a damsel in distress, and a swollen testicles. As soon as I get some time, I'll put it out. Of course, it took me a year to put out the last one, so don't hold your breath.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

testicles?

hey, i was there for that story.......but i'm happy to say i don't remember the swollen testicles. lucky me. anyway i am a witness to the black belt ceremony held inside the temple walls. that was fun..............ahhhh, the good ol days. oh yeah and the hunt for a white girl on songshan.

keep up the great lyrics gene.

your little bro,
    kungfud0rk

"Sifu Marie has been training for 7 years and has already achieved Black belt 3rd Rank" LMAO! And in 7 styles no less!
    Bungle, try Derek Frearson for 7 star mantis and Wing Chun.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Bungle, If you want to come and make up your own mind then feel free to visit a class.

I have been a student for over four years now at Chun Seh Dau and will vouch for it's quality and authenticity. If anyone else wants to visit for a test lesson or to watch a lesson they are always welcome. (See the website for details!).

As to the quality of the website, I have had no website experience and have produced it myself (for the Master) and am constantly updating it as I learn more.
    Last edited by Longlocks; 06-18-2003 at 01:02 AM.

"Master Fred has been training for 40 years and is currently a Master of the 8th Rank."

"Sifu Matthew Townsend, Black Belt 9th Rank, Disciple to the Master

Sifu Matthew has been training for 15 years and is currently studying to achieve Mastership."

So the disciple is a higher rank than the master?

I don't get it...

I would also like to know why the particular monk your master learnt off decided to create a grading system? Also, what were the circumstances surrounding your master training at the temple. Why was he in china, how did he have opportunity? Can anyone tell if the monk they refer to really lived in the temple?

Oh yeah and one last thing. Longlocks, i'm not trying to be a **** but it is important for me to know some things about the martial art i want to dedicate myself to. If i went to a lesson how would i know what i'm seeing is authentic? I have never trained in shaolin kung fu.

To really find out about any Martial Art, find out as much as you can about what you want to do and visit as many schools as possible. The best experience you will get is by actually visiting Schools or clubs for their normal lessons.

I'm not getting drawn into any discussion as to my Master's (or his Master's) past or the school or the style but those who have taught me have proved to be decent, honourable and honest people.

As to the rank thing from Brad, if Sifu Matthew is "currently studying to achieve Mastership", then logically he isn't a Master.(Doh!)

Who is trying to draw you into anything? Your a source of information and i'm asking questions; i'm not trolling for an argument.

As for training. I probaly will go check it out. The problem is, the class might be great, the people and the teachers might be great but i have no idea that what i'm seeing is traditional shaolin. I have no frame of reference from which to judge your martial art. Your teachers might kick ass but i'd like to learn traditional shaolin not pretty wushu forms, chop suey kung fu or competition sparring.

Now, how am i to tell your martial art from that of wushu or chop suey kung fu? I have never trained in shaolin. So you can see the reasons to why i ask the questions. Once again, i'm not testing you or trying to start a debate. If there is nothing to hide then please answer. Thanks for any help.