Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoga

Hybrid View

cjurakpt Guest
    as a beginer dipping ones toe into the world of yoga, the one advantage you will have as a martial artist (especial CMA), is experience navigating an arcane and seemingly contradictory world of styles and personalities and bizarre claims; except at the end of the day they don't actually fight (well, neither does CMA, so that's actually the same too )

but seriously - if you are looking for a good, solid, down-to-earth approach, I strongly recommend Iyengar; for several reasons

1) teachers are all well trained, quality control is excellent in terms of who they certify (very comprehensive programs);

2) very physical approach, grounded in anatomy / phys, minimal interest in spiritual hokum; combines classical learning with contemporary understanding of body structure / function

3) designed for people of all levels - uses lots of props, straps, pillows, etc. to accommodate peeps who are not all pretzelly;

4) teacher is old, alive and healthy, practices what he preaches;

BTW, my wife has been doing his stuff for years, and she teaches it to her OBGYN patients as need arises;

GOOD yoga is a wonderful thing....I've been in and out of Yoga since college, still influences some of the things I do

However, finding GOOD yoga can be VERY HARD since it is as subject, if not MORE SO, to fraud and BS as TCMA are these days.....

In fact, the first person I did Yoga with, who at the time was considered a "big figure" turned out to be a total fraud!

Iyengar would be a good choice, one of the few real guru who is also very organized, modern in many respects, organized and international
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Everybody's already said it.

Just to add one thing: I've never had a bad experience with yoga. Even with some of the more New-Agey touchy-feely seminars and things, the worst you get is some chanting or meditational commentary. Oh, and the 'healing music', which always makes me want to kill everyone in the room.

The poses, although admittedly I've never progressed beyond beginner, have always felt good at the time and after. Plus, unlike MA, if you get a dodgy teacher, at least it doesn't mean you might get shanked!

Women friends of mine however, have told me some hokey stuff. This includes one who was borderline groped by the teacher who was supposedly 'adjusting her posture'. She wasn't imagining it either: it later came out that many others had had the same experience.

Another school tried to co-opt my then girlfriend (and later me) into a tantric (yoga) sex 'school'.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Find a Bikram Yoga Studio

Its a good discipline, no-nonsense,no BS(once you get past the hype about Bikram himself) I Just focus on what the asanas do for me. Ive been a Bikram practitioner off and on for about two years now. I love the practice. Does wonders for my body. I wouldnt make Bikram yoga a practice that you do all the time as it does take alot out of you heat wise(In Bikram Yoga you are doing the postures in a heated room and you sweat like a horse). The Bikram teachers say " oh you need to go 3 times a week for several months to get the full benefits" yada yada yada. But that is if you are doing nothing else with you life. As a supplement to other athletic activities, you can get away with doing Bikram once a week in addition to your other training.
    The other reason why i like Bikram Yoga is that there is not any of the hoaky new age stuff. you dont have some stoned white chick with dreads talking about your "inner lightness of being" blah blah blah. I hate that aspect of some yoga places i have been to. INstead you have a nice looking athletic woman talking you through the postures, helping you to correct your form and giving you praise when they see you are really trying and doing your best.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Bikram!? Isn't that the one that kicks the temperature up to 100 degrees and THEN work out?

Checked out a local Bikram place years ago and I couldn' even sit through the class watching. Had to go outside to cool off and I'm in Florida!

If you're lucky it will be Ashtanga, or Power Yoga. Anything else is pretty much hippie meditation and I did enough of that in the 70's.

But seriously, it's fun and different and relly good for your flexability and balance. Should compliment any CMA you're doing.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Bikram!? Isn't that the one that kicks the temperature up to 100 degrees and THEN work out?

Checked out a local Bikram place years ago and I couldn' even sit through the class watching. Had to go outside to cool off and I'm in Florida!

If you're lucky it will be Ashtanga, or Power Yoga. Anything else is pretty much hippie meditation and I did enough of that in the 70's.

But seriously, it's fun and different and relly good for your flexability and balance. Should compliment any CMA you're doing.
    Ashtanga Yoga is not recommended for beginners. lol.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    So my gf does yoga (they offer it at her job, which is awesome) and I want to start doing it with her (at home).
    I bet you do !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Talking Here's some interesting yoga for you to try....

5. Wind-Relieving Asana . Thought fiber was the only natural remedy for expelling excess gas? Think again: this series of yoga postures assumed in asana-based classes assists air in exiting your digestive tract—in a room full of people. The motions involve lying flat on your back and pulling your left, right or both knees into your tensed stomach, squeezing out the stale air or, in instructor's lingo, engaging your abdominal region to assist with elimination. The poses are also said to enhance supine strength and flexibility, making them optimal for those with both bad backs and Metamucil in their pantries (read: old people). "It could certainly be helpful with some individuals in terms of [their] low backs," says Bryant. "But the whole flatulence aspect—I'm not so sure that there's a great deal of physiological support for that being a need."

The verdict: Group flatu-fitness? We'll pass.
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/145420/page/2
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Ah chi, its everywhere !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Do a prayer twist in crescent pose or warrior one and you will probably fart.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Bad karma: When yoga harms instead of heals.
    "Inexperienced teachers and overeager students behind rise in injuries"
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Yoga Brazil

There's a vid on the site, but the first pic says it all...

Yoga Meets Martial Arts for a Capoeira Workout That'll Get You Seriously Sweaty
    Just call it the "hot new yoga"
    Jaclyn Emerick | Apr 12, 2016

Take the stretch-and-strengthen powers of yoga, then turn up its burn with the fluid, dance-like movements of the Brazilian martial art Capoeira, and you get Yoga Brazil, a body-sculpting, fat-melting workout created by the celebrity fitness pro Brett Hoebel. As you flow through the poses in a perma-crouch, your muscles are constantly contracted, leaving you tighter, lighter—and quivering—once the routine is over.

It's a vinyasa sequence composed of six pairs of moves that fuse the best of both techniques. For the first pair, you'll start in a downward dog, then step into a low lunge (a Capoeira staple) and undulate from one side of the mat to the other. "This helps create your flow," Hoebel says. As each new combo is added, it's seamlessly tacked on to the previous pair—and then the circuit resets at downward dog all over again—until you've linked all six pairs together for one continuous, powerful flow. Then you'll repeat the process from the top, this time on the other side. "It's a true calorie-burning and booty-sculpting experience," he says.

Take your time on each set of exercises and try notto skip ahead or do them all at once. They're placed in this progression to help you build heat, finesse your form, and lose yourself a little in the rhythm. That, and to shape a sleeker, stronger, fiercer physique. (Want more? Try this 20-Minute Workout to Help You Get Fit, Get Toned, and Get On with Your Day.)

How it works: Start with pair 1. Then do pair 2. Next, do pair 1, then pair 2. Then do pair 3. After that, you'll combine them, doing pair 1, then 2, then 3. You'll repeat this process of introducing a new pair of moves and then combining all the pairs from the beginning until you've combined pairs 1 through 6.

Total Time: up to 30 minutes

You will need: Mat
    1. Down Dog Into Low Lunge

A. Start on floor in plank on palms. Push hips up and back so that body forms an inverted V. Step left foot forward between hands, bending leg 90 degrees and lowering right knee toward floor.

B. Lower torso toward left knee, and keeping left palm planted, bring right forearm in front of chin with elbow bent. Replant right palm and step left leg back to down dog. Complete reps, then switch sides and repeat.

Sets: 1 Reps: 8

2. Figure-Eight Block Into Side Sweep

A. Stand with feet wide and toes turned out, elbows bent with hands near chin and palms facing each other. Bend left leg 90 degrees and lean torso over left thigh, swaying arms so that fingertips point toward left.

B. Fluidly bend right knee, leaning torso over right thigh and arcing arms to right.

C. Without pausing, switch sides again.

D. Then straighten left leg and turn right toes out to face the back of mat as you bend right leg 90 degrees, planting right palm outside of foot, leaning torso over right thigh, and reaching left hand overhead toward the right. Complete reps then switch sides and repeat.

Sets: 1 Reps: 4
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Continued from previous post

Continued because you want all of this Brazil Yoga goodness. Extra points to anyone who posts pix of themselves doing this.

3. Low Lunge Into Reverse Kicks

A. Start in low lunge with left leg forward.

B. Then plant right palm and shift hips up and back, sweeping left leg high (but keeping hips square). Shift forward into a plank, then push hips up and back, lifting left leg. Alternate plank and reverse kick on your left side 3 more times (flexing through left heel), then lower leg into down dog. Switch sides and repeat.

Sets: 1 Reps: 1

4. Reverse Kick Into Half Handstand

A. Start in plank on palms. Push hips up and reverse kick with left leg.

B. Bring left knee toward chest while bending right knee, look forward, and kick feet up, bending knees into a half handstand. Land in reverse kick with left leg up. Shift forward into plank. Complete reps then switch sides and repeat.

5. Low Lunge Into Push Kick

A. Start in low lunge with left foot forward.

B. Push into left foot to stand on left leg, kicking right foot forward (flexing heel), leaning torso back slightly with left elbow bent and left forearm in front of face, and pressing right palm down. Return to low lunge. Complete reps then switch sides and repeat.

6. Twisting Escape Into Half-Moon Block

A. Start in down dog, then step left foot forward into low lunge. Plant right palm to the inside of left foot; rotate left shoulder 90 degrees toward ceiling to turn body to left with left knee bent, left foot flat, and right leg straight so that hip is lifted and outer edge of right foot is on floor with toes pointed straight ahead (bend left elbow so that palm is open and facing forward).

B. Rotate left shoulder another 90 degrees to rotate chest toward ceiling, planting left palm below left shoulder, bending right leg and flattening foot, and kicking left leg toward ceiling with foot flexed. Turn over right shoulder to come into plank position. Complete reps then switch sides and repeat.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Greetings Gene,

That Brazilian stuff looks silly.

I had the opportunity to talk with a woman from India in a college yoga lass. She shared that what passes for Sun Salutation in the world is nothing compared to what she learned in her homeland. She told me that the sequence had over 20 moves and was very advanced.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 04-15-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    That Brazilian stuff looks silly.
    I give them extra credit for long legged brunettes in tights though.