Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here has actually trained with a Shaolin Monk?

mantis714mrkmrg Guest
    back to monks where are the 32 generation and 31 or even earlier, before wushu came into play. all you ever see is the modern monks doing there stuff, id like to see the old monks do there stuff. thats what i would like to learn, the genuine shaolin gung fu of old. wouldnt that be cool!!! fro what I read anymore I have mixed feelings, exspecally there cost to go to there schools some are like so expensive. I know all must charge be there like way above at least the ones in ny are, I always thought that a buddist monk didnt need material things or am I mistacken,, I hope I dont offend anyone but I just dont trust anything anymore,

reemul Guest

I here ya man

The old school monks are know more, however some of the systems have been survived by masters who are not monks. Mainly because the old school masters were sent into exile for fear of their lives. Unfortunately it seems the trendy thing to do is to train with those playing the role.

reemul Guest

sorry for the typo, thats no more not know more

crap

Radhnoti Guest
    S'ok reemul, even inheritors of the TRUE and undiluted power of Shaolin, such as yourself, can make a typo once in a while. We understand.
    :)

-Radhnoti

GeneChing Guest

Check my e-zine article on BSL vs. Shaolin Temple Kungfu

I addressed the question of Shaolin systems in my latest e-zine article, so please have a look and tell me what you think. The organization of traditional Shaolin at Shaolin temple now is very lineage oriented. While there are many standard traditional sets, there is plenty of variation. Most don't distinguish variations by specific names aside from the names of the individual forms. It's all shaolin to them.

As for the monks only performing wushu, this is because wushu is the performance form of kungfu in PRC. It's what wushu was desingned for - Traditional lacks the spectacular quality of wushu, especially for people who know nothing about kungfu. But all the monks practice BOTH wushu and traditional (except for maybe some of the older monks who skip the wushu).

Personally, I think that's what makes the monks extraordinary - they do it all, traditional, contemporary, sparring, hard qigong, etc. They even train military/police combat. I've lived with them at Shaolin. There were days when the monks had to give up to 5 performances for tourists, train their students, and train themselves. Nobody else works that hard. Nobody else needs to. Their wushu might not be as good as Beijing, but they'll beat Beijing wushu in the traditional, the hard qigong, or the sparring.

It's hard to imagine what it's like to make your living in the martial arts if you don't do so. When you do it for a hobby, it's one thing. But when you do it for your food, clothes and shelter, everything changes...

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

md1 Guest
    hi gene.

the master's name is sifu sam sing wong of
    toronto canada. The name of the style is
    mudong, also the name of my school.
    mudong gungfu academy.

"when you expect your oppoent to yield/you also should avoid hurting him"

Longquan Guest

If you think of Shaolin, you probably are....

I don't often check this board so I am suprised at the "this is" or "is not" shaolin attitudes.

KFO really needs an accurate FAQ regarding learning CMAs in the US.

I have met incompetent teachers--avoid them.
    I have also met partially trained disciples--they have something to offer.
    I have met masters--they have a lot to offer.

Above all, be a student! Take a look at what the teacher has to offer and internally analyze, criticize, and evaluate. If it seems worth learning at the time put 100% commitment into learning and development.

If you don't understand what is being taught, stick with it until you find a meaning or a new teacher.

"Everything is training, Training is everything"

Real Shaolin is impossible to verify. Is it even possible to historically verify that it is the best? No.

At heart today, "Shaolin" is marketing. Not the school or the temple, but the word is marketing.

If you break your a55 everyday, you will get better. Period. Work. Contemplate your failures. Correct your training. Work. Kung fu never ends except if you quit.

Just a rant....

"To the Buddhist, "To
    be or not to be" is not
    the question. The
    question is whether or
    not you can transcend
    these notions."

Thich Nhat Hanh

r.(shaolin) Guest

Gene's article

Hi Gene interesting article, when I get a moment I well read it more thoroughly. From my first read it does not appear to reveal any new information. From short list of Songshan forms you present, it is my gut feel that the the traditional forms at t he present day Shaolin Temple are more of a compilation that is new, and not the pre-1900 curriculum. Apart from Xiao hong quan and Da hong quan which are listed together, the other forms seem to be arbitrarily listed.

You say that
    >Songshan Sh aolin k u ngfu claims around 200 sets sum total<
    and that it is
    >rare for a single practitioner to know them all.<
    According to our tradition Songshan Shaolin wushu included 273 forms. Agreed, few if any one person learned or mastered t hat may forms.
    Altho u gh a num ber of things reeml claims about his Shaolin is inconsistent with what I have been taught, I have to agree with him that Shaolin is not just a arbitrary compilation of forms but is are grouped into a number sub- syst em s that coll ectiv ely could be c a lled Songshan Shaolin Wushu.
    On another point, although the past generation acknowledges Ku Yu Cheong as a Songshan Shaolin student, he added a number of forms from other schools.
    That is why it is Ku Yu Cheong's first stud ents that are ca lled - first generati on students. In other words that lineage really starts with him.

You say that,
    >It's hard to imagine what it's like to make your living in the martial arts if you don't do so. When you do it for a hobby, it's one thing. But wh e n yo u do it for your food, clothes and shelter, everything changes...<

Agreed, but I would add that teaching professionally and doing demos was not the
    traditional core function of Shaolin wushu. If it is, that changes everything . . . . .

[This message was edited by R. on 05-10-01 at 07:58 PM.]

northstar Guest

Original Shaolin

The subject of an original Shaolin style, meaning a curriculum for martial training in the Songshan temple, is contentious to say the least. Adam Hsu claims that in Ming documents listing and discussing the famous styles of kung fu, there are NO Shaolin styles.
    This seems very likely to me. There were martial training in the temple, but most "Shaolin" styles have taken their names to honour and draw honour and respect from the myths of Shaolin.
    But then again, people should focus less on who's style is original, and try to perfect their own kung fu with time and effort.

GeneChing Guest

digressions

Good to hear your insights everyone. This thread has become more of a discussion of my article than what I had intended, but that's cool. I was actually hoping to hook up with other monk students and swap notes. But this is fine too.

md1: Can you translate mudong? Just curious.

longquan: My intentional thrust of the article was not really to define real shaolin (although I did use that as an intentional literary device, in hopes of sparking the very dialog we are all having here now.) Actually, my intention was a comparison between two major interpretations of Shaolin. Personally, I lean towards Northstar's comment about the Shaolin name - I don't think it's as much marketing as it is honoring. However, the skeptical side of me tends to agree with you.

r.: My piece was meant to be a historical review, so nothing "new" was really offered, but just to call you on your comment (in a good natured way) can you name my research sources? If it's not new to you, where did you read it before?

I'm still working at sorting out the subsystem theory. The folk tradition jams it up, so it's really hard to validate, typified by the different number of total sets. I'd love to see your (and reemul's) subcategories. Have you published them anywhere?

I also agree that modern BSL starts with Ku, but most attribute the lineage back to Gan. BTW, next week I'll post some more research on Gan.

As for teaching and demos not being the core of Shaolin, well, demos definately not. Something I forgot to include in the BSL vs. Shaolin article was records from the Wanli's reign in the Ming states that Shaolin monks were already demonstrating for tourists at that time. Wanli was in 1573-1620. So it's not the core, but it been the tradition for quite some time. As for teaching, a huge portion of Shaolin dharma is kungfu, so I do think that is part of the core.

northstar: I'll have to read Hsu again. Can you point me to the exact page? I lent that book to someone and it never came back, so it will take me sometime to get back to you on this one (plus I just built some new bookshelves (YES!) so my library is a mess.)

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

r.(shaolin) Guest
    Hsu, who does not practice Shaolin I might add, has been sawing that log since the early 80's. I think the first article he wrote on that subject was in the Nov. 1983 issue of Black Belt Mag. I am not sure if he holds that opinion now, as new refe ren ce mat erial has become available since. If I recall correctly, his opinion then was that the Shaolin Temple was not famous prior to the romantic stories of the Qing Dynasty and that Shaolin was largely a myth. This is, and was then, a misinformed opi nio n.

The idea that Shaolin was just a name and used / borrowed to honour (I'm not sure what, if not the martial arts that was once practiced there, which really did not exist : -))) as you suggust, is why
    IMO that the PRC can do a survey for traditional f orms
    compile them and call call this, Traditional Shaolin Wushu. Why do they not just call a spade, a spade. Its the PRC version of Shaolin Wushu.
    Let them come clean about this versions true history, which is the product of a committee.<<

md1 Guest
    gene.

mudong-wudang. I've heard alot of times on
    this forum that wudang can't be the name of
    the style, but that's all my sifu ever called
    the style mudong. He would say wudang is the
    trunk of the tree and the other style's came
    from it.
    He said that when the communist took power
    they burned the temple he studied at and that
    you never heard anything about the mudong because
    they did not side with government. He said so
    much history has been changed. this is one of
    the first time's I've chance to talk about this
    thank you for the questions.

"when you expect your oppoent to yield/you also should avoid hurting him"

r.(shaolin) Guest
    .A

r.(shaolin) Guest
    Gene wrote

>As for teaching and demos not being the core of Shaolin, well, demos definitely not. Something I forgot to include in the BSL vs. Shaolin article was
    records from the Wanli's reign in the Ming states that Shaolin monks were already demonstrat ing for tour ists at that time. Wanli was in 1573-1620. <

That at lest supports the fact that not only were there martial arts at Shaolin but the monks were accomplished at it :-)
    As for the tradition of demonstrating of martial arts well, that has been around in China
    far earlier than the 1500s. Early examples of military dances and rituals can be found at lest as far back as the Shang and Han dynasty. The Han Emperor, Liu Pang even brought them into his court as (Pa-yu) performances. However it also has been observed that there are negative aspects that seem to plague excessive concentration on demonstration. Concentration on demonstrations has a tendency to encourage those same arts into becoming performance arts making them useless in combat, which is something they were designed for. Criticisms of this type are not new but have been part of the history of Chinese martial arts.ˇ

[This message was edited by R. on 05-11-01 at 04:42 PM.]

doug maverick Guest

my pop!

my father was in shaolin a while back(wish i could have gone but i had school) his friend who studied at shaolin for five year on and off in the summers new a few of the monks and got a performence of real chinese gung fu my father (who has a few pics i wish i had a scanner to show you but i have to wait till next week to get one)told me he seen some good ma and alot of fah ching in the forms won of the monks did a demo of tiger claw called tiger crush(gene i'm sure you saw this) he pick up a brick and had my father and his friend check it to see if it was fake this he formed a tiger claw with his hand then he graped the brick shuck his body (bringing energy to his hand)a little and crushed the brick. my dad said it was the best thing he ever saw. and if he had the time he would train in shaolin gung fu under master shi yan ming.