Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength Training Links

Hybrid View

I disagree, I feel high reps are better for building strength.

kind of ot but somewhat related

www.whfoods.com

go to the wh foods from A-Z

its really informative for nutrition (for health and anything else including athletic performance)
    Last edited by bodhitree; 08-10-2007 at 09:16 AM.
    Bless you

Thumbs up

Good stuff. Thanks for the link.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dougadam View Post
    I disagree, I feel high reps are better for building strength.

High reps for strength? Muscular endurance maybe? The closer you get to your 1rm the more force you are generating.
    Bless you

good link for supplement info:

Bless you

I just wanted to make a quick comment on the no weight work out. There is honestly no need to subscribe to the book come train w/ me and I'll teach you the same trainings as part of my class. I'll actually teach you how to perform them the CORRECT way.
    How do you beat a man who trains harder than you and who puts himself through more pain than any person ever could? -You don't.

Some stuff from Charles Poliquin ( if you have to ask, don't):

Aerobics Sucks

Q: Coach Poliquin, you've said: "... the more lower body aerobic work you do, the more your vertical jump worsens. The more upper body aerobic work you do, the more your medicine ball throws worsen." Also, "Continuous aerobic work plateaus after 8 weeks of training so anything more is counterproductive." So what are your general aerobic-related recommendations?

A: First, for fat loss purposes, I find aerobic training to be worthless. Most people are already stressed enough, and aerobic work only further stresses the adrenals.
    kidneys

Second, genetically speaking, we're made to throw a rock at a rabbit, not to run after it. We're not aerobically designed machines; we're designed for short bursts. Slow, continuous aerobic work also interferes with the brain's ability to recruit high-threshold motor units and interferes with power development.

I don't make any of my athletes do aerobic work unless they compete in an aerobic sport. And yet my athletes score really high on aerobic tests. My hockey players always have the highest VO2 max at camp, and all we do is interval training a few weeks out of camp. People can't believe my players don't do aerobic work in the summer.

In the '92 Olympics, the Canadian alpine ski team actually surpassed the cross-country team on aerobic scores using this method as measured by third party university labs.

One of the guys from the Green Bay Packers asked for a copy of my running program. I gave him some blank sheets of paper and said, "Here, you can have it all!"

Listen, the research is very clear: Having a so-called aerobic base doesn't make you handle interval training any better. And most sports are basically interval training: short bursts followed by a rest, then another short burst.
    KTFO

American football is just a few seconds of action followed by a longer rest. Hockey is forty-five seconds on, a minute and thirty-five seconds off.

What type of interval training do my athletes do? Usually it goes by the sport. In hockey we do everything on skates, so we'd do skating sprints. As the summer progresses, my athletes do longer work intervals and shorter rest intervals.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

And more:

5 Reasons Soy Sucks

Q: Soy protein is touted as a health food, but Testosterone has always said that people should avoid it. What do you think?

A: Soy is for ****s. That's what I think. But people love lists, so here are five reasons not to eat soy:

Reason 1 — Toxicity: Soy increases your toxic load. It's one of the most sprayed crops. Their high content of pesticides increases your ever-increasing toxic load. In addition, aluminum content skyrockets in processing.
    soy just say no

Just say no.

Reason 2 — Potential hypothyroidism: Soy contains goitragens, which are compounds that lead to hypothyroidism. To learn more about fighting hypothyroidism, attend one my Biosignature Modulation seminars.

Reason 3 — Blocking mineral absorption: Soy has a high content of phytates, which are known to inhibit the absorption of both macro-minerals (i.e. calcium) and trace minerals (i.e. zinc). The good news is that meat consumption blocks phytates. If you're going to eat tofu, make sure to eat some meat (ironically) during the same meal.

Reason 4 — Link to Attention Deficit Disorder: Soy-based infant formulas are linked to ADD. They contain 80 times more manganese than breast milk. Too much manganese content is linked to neurotoxicity.

Reason 5 — Increased cardiovascular load: Hemaglutinin is found in soybeans. This compound is known to make red blood cells aggregate, therefore increasing your cardiovascular load.

If you're not convinced, read Dr. Kaayla Daniel's book, The Whole Soy Story, or check out her interview HERE on this site. The information and research provided will blow you away.

In conclusion, soy is for ****s.

And:

How Much Protein?

Q: Is the old "gram of protein per pound of body weight" rule still good? I hear some coaches say we need less and some recommend 300 grams a day for a 200 pounder.

A: For a 200-pound lean male, 300 grams of protein per day would be the minimum. In fact, I think the rule should be closer to 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight, assuming the person is lean.

For about 70% of the population who isn't carb tolerant, 2 grams per pound is good for mass gains. It can make a huge difference. Personally, I couldn't get above 192 pounds until bodybuilder Milos Sarcev convinced me to get 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. In no time I was up to 205, lean.

Now, if a person is carb tolerant (he handles carbohydrates very well), that value would drop to 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
    steak

Someone like Christian Thibaudeau, who's not carb tolerant, should be getting 2 grams of protein per pound, but a guy like Milos Sarcev, who can wake up and drink a gallon mixture of 50% maple syrup and 50% dextrose without it affecting his blood sugar, I'd say 1 to 1.5 grams. Rare guys like Milos need to eat 70% of their calories from carbs.
    muscles

It has to be individualized to an extent. Still, most people don't "deserve" the carbs they eat. The rule for most people is this: you have to earn your carbs.

but i still like tofu XD

anyway anyone know any good finger strength exercises??

strengthcoach.com has some great articles for strength training - not all kung fu stuff but v good

Blog Entries

kung fu training

My joints are at their worst when I don't train. It seems (appears) that the muscle strength remains, while the tendons become soft, or weaker at a much faster rate. I think this can cause problems.

When the muscle is far stronger then the tendons, and the muscle is used, I can notice it.

I do have horrible tendonitis in my elbows, but only on pulling motions. For the first five years of my training, I used to train pushing motions much harder than pulling. So the tendonitis is my fault, not the lifting.

kung fu schools

Blog Entries

kung fu training

My joints are at their worst when I don't train. It seems (appears) that the muscle strength remains, while the tendons become soft, or weaker at a much faster rate. I think this can cause problems.

When the muscle is far stronger then the tendons, and the muscle is used, I can notice it.

I do have horrible tendonitis in my elbows, but only on pulling motions. For the first five years of my training, I used to train pushing motions much harder than pulling. So the tendonitis is my fault, not the lifting.

kung fu schools

BIU JI Guest

Destrous9

Excellent post, it has come at a time I am putting more thought towards my diet with training as I'm training quite alot now . Along with my kung fu things for fitness such as swimming to add but I have little indepth knowledge of nutrition with exercise(MA) etc.

Your post you say was towards weight training to enhance your MA(if I read correctly). On 3 days of the week I'm training a minmum of six/half hours kung fu each day and now added swimming in the morning and then what I can fit in at home the rest of the week but am guilty of what you say "over training/under feeding". I wish to add more weight training on those 3 days at school so could you suggest a nutritional intake that's suitable for something like kung fu.

I probably need correction but I see weight training for "Bodybuilding and such" different than the type of training you would do for kung fu. So would then your diet need to vary accordingly as well.I mean kung fu is more arobic so would need a different nutrition intake then you would for purely weight training yes? I hope you can understand my rambling, I know what I want to ask although not quite sure how to word it as it's still sort of new to me.

So I'm looking to start more weights to enhance my kung fu and am curious as to the recommended nutriional intake for that, would those guides you gave still apply "as is" for this type of training.

Anyway hope I haven't just made a mess of the basic question! Pleeease help !!

PEACE!!

Destrous9 Guest
    If you practice kung fu heavily, and also swim and lift weights, I would recommend something along these guidelines:

1) Protein Get at least 100 grams of protein a day, to assist in restoring/rebuilding any damaged muscle tissue. Eat no more than 30-32 grams of protein every 2.5-3 hours.
    2) Complex Carbs With the intense energy expenditure that your training has, make sure you get enough good energy. I would recommend at least 3 servings of rice/pasta a day. If you have a fast metabolism, maybe 4-5 servings. (Note: A serving is the serving size listed on the package/box-not a huge bowl.) Spread these servings out into 2-3 meals a day.
    3) Vitamins, Minerals With your rigid workout/training schedule, make sure you get the proper amount of vitamins and minerals in your diet. I would go heavy on vitamin C for recovery, and the B vitamins.

Also:
    --Intake a minimal amount of fat. Do not use a no fat diet.
    --Intake a minimum amount of sodium, or table salt
    --Drink alot of water to flush the kidneys and keep the body healthy. Dehydration is a major stress inducer on the body.
    --Vegatables and fruits! Snack on either when you need a boost
    --Do not eat at least 1.5 hours before training. The body uses alot of blood during the initial digestive stages, and 'eating-then training' will cause your body to revolt. Either the training will be sacrificed, or the proper digestion of the food.
    --No simple sugars during training, or up to one hour after training. i.e. sports drinks. Simple sugars curve testosterone release, and can mess with the bodies natural insulin levels.
    --30 grams of Protein within 1.5 hours after heavy swimming/lifting
    --Deep fried food? Stay away! Especially before training. No french fries :(
    --Fruit, or real fruit juice after training is good.
    --Do not eat heavily immediately after training. If you want a big meal, cool down for at least an hour to 1.5 hours. Eat a piece of fruit to hold you over. I would have a protein drink w/skim milk, and a banana 30 minutes after a heavy workout.
    --The heavier you work out, the more your body needs protein...weightlifting or not. On heavy workout days, 120-150 grams of protein can only help.

Eat more:
    Fruit
    Vegatables
    Oatmeal
    Bran Muffins
    Tuna
    Fish
    Chicken
    Rice/Pasta
    Orange Juice
    Beans

Eat less:
    Fried/Deep fried foods
    High-fat milk (go powdered or skim)
    Processed foods
    White bread
    Simple Sugar (a big one!!)
    Red Meat

Balance is the key. Do not cut everything out always. A good candy bar/desert/pizza may be needed to make the soul happy. If you are going to indulge in 'bad' foods, try to keep it only 1 day a week. I used to call saturdays 'pigout days'. I could escape my strict diet, relax, socialize with friends and eat what I liked. Sometimes insulting some one's cooking by turing down a meal is bad. Do not sacrifice your friendships over a need to keep the strictest possible diet. Life is life, life is not training. Training is part of life, as are friends. Keep all balanced, and you will be the healthiest. Balance the health of the mind, body, and soul, and all will be well.

These suggestions really aren't anything 'earth-shattering', but they will help your body perform better. I hope I've help some.

"Deep down inside of all of us is the power to accomplish what we want to, if we'll just stop looking elsewhere."

[This message was edited by Destrous9 on 04-21-01 at 11:02 AM.]