Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Throwing Darts

http://www.wle.com/products/W046.html

Wing Lam is making em now. They look way heavy and way cool.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Blog Entries
    there are a few different ones out there. one of my favorites looks like a wish bone, and are available in SF's chinatown.

as for stories, Professor Lau Bun who was a bodyguard/assassin for the hop sing Tong back in the real old days used to carry throwing darts in his shirt pocket, and was said to be extremely accurate. according to one of his female students who witnessed this happen says that Professor Lau Bun once killed a rat in the middle of the night by throwing a dart at it.

also, throwing coins are another chosen weapon for tong assassins. it is definetly a lost art.

frank

My brother-in-law taught me to throw knives a long time ago (before he was my brother-in-law and was just the strange guy my sister was dating). Knife throwing is lots of fun (especially went you can finally get them to stick consistantly).

Throwing a needle through glass

See our recent May June 2005 issue for an article on needle throwing.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

:)

thanks all

thanks kristoffer for pointing out thise great sites

that would be sweet having those or ninja stars. Someone gets out of line and disrespects you or ****es you off you can get far away from them and throw one on them and no one will know it was you.

Hey Mighty Scott I just picked up a couple of martial art i believe 200gram throwing knives. I went out back set up a targe with some logs and began throwing like it says in my cousins book he has. i believe im throwing it almost exactly like it says but the knife just bounces off I cant get the angle down ect... Did you have trouble like this? because im dinging up one of these knives pretty good. If so how long till you got your form down and any tips?

also reign of terror lets not have any southpark episodes hapening when your best friend butters desides to become an evil villan and your poor friend kenny throws a star at his eye and you have to dress him up like a dog because you dont want to get into trouble

Rokto,

Yes, it takes a while to get your form down. And your throwing distance will change during your throwing session. Your knives will get dinged up and even bent. So try to throw the same way every time, pick a throwing style that's comfortable to you.
    Throw from the same distance every time. I use 11 feet for the first rotation and 9 feet every rotation after that (when I say feet I mean my feet, I put one foot in front of the other to count the distance). I use the knife sheaths to make my spot on the ground so I always go back to it. Just like any shooting art consistancey is key.
    Now the fun part. If your knife is hitting the target with its point down you are too far away for your throw and need to move forward a few inches. If you blade is hitting the target point up your too close and need to move back. Sometimes it helps to have another person watch your knives hit.
    It will take a few months to get consistant, then you'll move back and try 2 and three rotations. I actually found the hip movements from my Wing Chun practice help out my knife throwing. So far my record is sinking a knife consistantly from with 4 rotations. Of course I was so far away I had more problems hitting the target then sticking the knives.

Awesome great information what grip should I start out with there 1sided blades, The Modified Hammer or Spline Grip, The Hammer Grip, The Vertical Blade Grip or The Horizontal Blade Grip,

Wow, I didn't even know the grip had names.

I would suggest just using a grip that your comfortable with.

Although you say you have a one sided blade. If the handle is straight and you hand will slide off of it easily I think you can use what you want. Although the one sided knives I have have a little bulge at the end which almost force you to grip it from the sides and not rap you fingers around like I like to do.

Oh, a couple random thoughts:

The heavier the knife the easier it is to become consistant. I've heard 1 to 1 1/2 oz per inch (30 to 40 grams).

Also I painted the handle my first throwing knife set bright orange. I've spent many an hour looking for those darn things (they can slide right under the grass)

Thats what happened to me!! I missed my target and it slid like 30 feet It took me 20minutes to find it in one of my moms fern bushes!

meh, i'd rather just whip the english style darts really hard. as if they were a baseball. in the privacy of my own basement. not at a bar however.

:)

I learned a form called the "27 poison daggers." I have some video footage of GM CTS and myself doing part of the form and throwing some knives. It was taught as a Choy Lay Fut form, as the techniques used in throwing the knives are all CLF. But I don't think the form might have been older than two or three generations old. It's a really cool form and it has 5 knives in a shealth (I only can find 2 of the 4 I had made) on each wrist and ankle, and a back harness which holds 7 over your shoulders. I have never taught it yet (along with a ton of other stuff as well) and I'm not sure when I'll get around to teaching it. It is reeeeeeaaallllly cool though!

lama-pai sifu wrote that in another forum

any CLF guys know this form too? the name of it in chinese etc. sounds REALLY COOL!

thanks!

i would be very interested in listening to your words, youknowWho, on flying daggers.
    end of last year my shifu presented me with somthing similar to the one on winglams website, except a s;ightly different shape. i was shown how to throw and have been practising ever since. it did have a tail to it (tasle or what ever its called) but while it whent through a box it came off, but now i find is still ok to throw without tail.
    i have managed to beable to use throwing side ways hand(with palm facing down, and also palm upwards). i was told this is for emergency only. but is good to practise, become very hot in hands after practise.