Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Vagabond Guy

Shaolin Vagabond Guy

Hi All, im a southern practiconer, an im just interested in what you guys think of this guy, is this guy legit, because his form seems a bit weak, im trying to offend any one, i just want to know, what you northern practiconers think

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9344&q=shaolin

thanks all

This has been worked over on another forum already....

~Jason
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

no power in it what so ever
    stances are kind of high
    back sweep is very high, guy need to stretch more
    form is very clear, but would be better if he had power in it
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

He's probably Wing Lam lineage...

...As Wing Lam's former head Sil Lum instructor, he has the external form as it was taught at Lam Kwoon. I don't recognize the guy, but I relinquished my title there over half a decade a go, so there's plenty of Lam Kwoon people I don't know and who probably don't know me. But I'd say he's still a Lam Kwoon decendent because the moves are all in the right place, more or less. He's about where someone who just learned the form might be - has the pattern but hasn't even begun to do the work - the REAL work. There are many missing details. He could be a video student, but I'm guessing he isn't. Remember I wrote those videos. For the earlier sets, I can usually pinpoint some one who's learned from videos pretty easily. He missed a detail early on that was quite explicit in the videos. Now, he could have just overlooked that when he watched the videos, but since it was early on and since it was explicit, I'm inclined to beleive it was a person-to-person transmission. My guess is that he learned it from Lam Kwoon or a student of Lam Kwoon. It's a shame that he posted it, since it reflects poorly on Lam Kwoon students. We've had much better students, of course. And that queue, that queue just kills me.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    And that queue, that queue just kills me.
    If that bugs you, check out his nipple ring here:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...70140645653219
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I like this performance better... http://www.harmoniousfist.com/8web.mov
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

nipple rings and iron body

I'm told that if you yank on the nipple ring of an iron body master, it's like pulling the plug on your bathtub drain. All the qi just pours out. Remember that if some dude in a queue attacks you with bot bo . Actually, I like the queue. We Chings like them. Ok, that's a pun, my Ching is not the dynastic Qing.

Does anyone know what lineage sean_stonehart's post above is from? It reminds me of a mainland version of #5 I once saw - very wushu-ish...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm told that if you yank on the nipple ring of an iron body master, it's like pulling the plug on your bathtub drain. All the qi just pours out. Remember that if some dude in a queue attacks you with bot bo . Actually, I like the queue. We Chings like them. Ok, that's a pun, my Ching is not the dynastic Qing.

Does anyone know what lineage sean_stonehart's post above is from? It reminds me of a mainland version of #5 I once saw - very wushu-ish...
    Gene... it's from Sifu Kisu's school in LA. www.harmoniousfist.com
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Yes, I recognized the site.

Is that one of Kisu's students? That's what I should have asked...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Marks in sets

...As Wing Lam's former head Sil Lum instructor, .......

For the earlier sets, I can usually pinpoint some one who's learned from videos pretty easily. He missed a detail early on that was quite explicit in the videos. Now, he could have just overlooked that when he watched the videos,
    If you look at his Lien Bu

LIN BO KIN (Practice footwork)
    1. Yin yang hands facing each other.
    2. Grabbing hand, palm chop.
    3. Turn around, open the door hand technique.
    4. Following step, straight (Chinese character "sun") punch
    5. Chopping hand under the arm pit.
    6. Immortal carries firewood with a yoke.
    7. Break hand grip, palm push.
    8. Grabbing hand, hammer strike.
    and in 23. Grabbing hand, hammer strike.

He does a side step #8 & 23 Grabbing hand, hammer strike When SilLumKid and I where looking at the vids, He said we do not do that in class. I will ask Wing Sifu? Wing Sifu, said "we do not do that in our class" But I did ask Gene today and he remmbers doing a side step though. So I gess it can be ether way...

Note: When I got the set We did not have the side step... As for the one I teach now. Jing Mo Version

~Jason
    Last edited by Fen; 01-24-2006 at 02:07 PM.
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

Is that one of Kisu's students? That's what I should have asked...
    Yes actually it is Sifu's son.

I should have recognized him...

...we were introduced a long time ago. He's grown. Now that I think about it, I seem to recall discussing adding more flair to BSL sets for tournaments with Kisu. Ah, my memory nowadays...

As for the Lian Bu, we did it the hammer fist with a flanking step when I was with Lam Sifu. Maybe he changed it. We all have that perogative and he has changed sets before. Since it was a military set, and very very simple, there are so many versions. The queued gentleman who has elicited this thread, his LBQ is very close to Lam Sifu's (at least as I recall it) - the only major variation is the elbow strikes (in horse not bow) and the cat stance down chop block, which is basically the same structurally but has a different feel. I hope that individual stuck with BSL. He's got a solid physique and a decent horse stance. He just needs to find more life in the BSL movements. Too stiff.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I think the guy mentioned at first should spend more time practicing and less time trying to look like a monk that stole Fong Sai Yuk's hair.

Why does kung fu attract all the nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    I think the guy mentioned at first should spend more time practicing and less time trying to look like a monk that stole Fong Sai Yuk's hair.

Why does kung fu attract all the nuts?
    the queue looks goofy...on anyone really. as for all the nuts, I thought those were the right wingers with guns?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by CFREW
    Hi All, im a southern practiconer, an im just interested in what you guys think of this guy, is this guy legit, because his form seems a bit weak, im trying to offend any one, i just want to know, what you northern practiconers think

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9344&q=shaolin

thanks all
    hahahaha I like the music that goes with it. so is this a trailer for a movie where he takes revenge on the Boss who does his sifu in?