Thread: Southern Praying Mantis

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by charp choi View Post
    That's one slick documentary. i have the dvd.
    Do you know what type of mantis that master is doing? It looks a bit different from the usual that I've been exposed to (which is not much mind you).

Is it different than the typical flavor now in the mainland?
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    Do you know what type of mantis that master is doing? It looks a bit different from the usual that I've been exposed to (which is not much mind you).

I have copy somewhere too, I'll go to that point and check it out and then I have someone who I can ask.

But, the story of this documentary is around Chinese ex-pats in Malaysia who have unique styles that are unfortunately dying with them, so it's unlikely consistent with what's in China now.

Blog Entries
    I'm very interesting in the SPM "mantis arms" that you touch your right palm on top of your opponent's left elbow and you touch your left palm on top of your opponent's right elbow. Both of your arms and hands are on top and inside of your opponent's arms.

This is a very important TCMA principle,

- 搶上不搶下(Qiang Shang Bu Qiang Xia) - fight for the top, don't fight for the bottom.
    - 搶内不搶外(Qiang Nei Bu Qiang Wai) - fight for the inside, don't fight for the outside.

but in the other WC thread, it seems that WC guys don't care much about this principle. Just like to hear you SPM guy's opinion on this.

What does that principle mean? Interested in understanding.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Ray_Brooks View Post
    What does that principle mean? Interested in understanding.
    You stay on

- top of your opponent so you have "weight" advantage.
    - inside of your opponent so you have "short distance" advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I'm very interesting in the SPM "mantis arms" that you touch your right palm on top of your opponent's left elbow and you touch your left palm on top of your opponent's right elbow. Both of your arms and hands are on top and inside of your opponent's arms.

This is a very important TCMA principle,

- 搶上不搶下(Qiang Shang Bu Qiang Xia) - fight for the top, don't fight for the bottom.
    - 搶内不搶外(Qiang Nei Bu Qiang Wai) - fight for the inside, don't fight for the outside.

but in the other WC thread, it seems that WC guys don't care much about this principle. Just like to hear you SPM guy's opinion on this.
    The first one I am not sure about...
    But the second one, from what I understand, means to work inside the persons "hands" ( inside their "elbows" really) where the SPM short power does its damage.
    Of course, no rule or principle is "set in stone".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post

I think it's a Chu Gar variant IIRC> I don't hev my dvd to hand at the moment so I can't check.
    Tung Kong Hakka Chow Gar Naam Pai Tong Long

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmas5animals