Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Female Grand Masters are there?

How Many Female Grand Masters are there?

I know they are rare, but there HAS to be a few, right??

How many can you all name?

I'll start with the most obviuos and famous, Lilly Lau

Can you guys list some more?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Anyone can call themselves a Grandmaster, it really has nothing to do with ability or merit. Grandmaster Rich Mooney, for instance. I'll look up some top female sifus, there's quite a few unsung warriors out there.
    Nolite irasci, aequiperate.

there's quite a few unsung warriors out there

Yes, that's what I thought. I am secifically looking for at least 1 female Grand Master besides Lilly Lau with the actual EARNED title of Grand Master, to prove a point to someone, so if you know any besides the list of unsung hero's, please include them.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I don't know of any Grandmasters besides the aforementioned Lilly Lau, but are you considering someone like Ng Mui who supposedly founded an entire system a grandmaster?
    "Let's play Soviet history-- you're Trotsky, I'm an icepick."

No, am only looking for currrent living female Grand Masters.

I was at the Midwes fights last nigt at th Concord retirement home in North Lake, Lilly Lau was there, and they kept mentioning she was the ONLY female Grand Master in the world.

I seem to remeber ther being at least one more, and I know there have been others from time to time, I just can't rember who, that's all.

For the Women:

+ = & a

try Grandmaster Wang Jurong....

Daughter of Zhaquan great Wang Ziping. Currently in her 70's still teaching practicing.

THANK YOU!!!

You just made me $20 (or a sexual favor )

For the Women:

+ = & a

Stacey Guest
    I forgot her name but she was in Tai Chi magazine on the cover wearing pink. She has a white afro...shes old

In her younger days she was a shuai chiao/san da champ, swimming champ, did a number of styles, won lots of competitions and its like 80 now living in San Fran...she's doing Sun style tai chi and I beleive she is a master. I saw her base and it was awesome. Probably the only old woman I have ever been scared of for fighting ability.

Oh did I mention that she also did folk wrestling in China? Northern Longfist?

Ah,

Who is Sun Lu Tang's Granddaughter? Isn't SHE the current Grand Master, and lineage holder for The Sun style?

For the Women:

+ = & a

Grand Master

Yang Jun Mai of Wild Goose fame in Beijing is 103yrs old or so and fits the bill.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad/sexist thing that there are few female grandmasters... we're talking about GM here remember, not sifus.

Say there are 1 million people in kung fu, and there are 15 styles... That's 15 grandmasters (ideally), but how many out of the 1 million practitioners are female? probably 100,000 if we're lucky. Just as many males, if not more, won't have the chance to be GM like the females. it's all about legitamacy to the title, if you're not part or close to the inner family, then good luck to ya.

Did I make any sense?

Yang Meijun the head of the Kunlun Dayan Qigong system... she's 105 and still going

ddh: do you train in Wild Goose? if you do, cool another practitioner

david
    Last edited by dezhen2001; 04-29-2002 at 02:15 AM.
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

15 styles? There's much more than that!

I'm being hypothetical...

Hello,
    Thanks guys for the info. I took the sexual favor instaed of the cash, just thought you'd like to know

Basically, Me and my other half went to the midwest fights Saturday to watch the NY vs Chicago action (We won by the way on a tecnical knockout), and Lilly Lau was there. During the Female fights, she did a bit of announcing. The promoter introduced her as "The ONLY female Grand Master in the WORLLLLLLLLLLD" in that "Lets get ready to Ruuuuuummmmmmbbbbble" kind of voice (well sort of). Every time she got up to speak, they would emphasise it. We were sittting with Terri's school, right next to her instructor's wife. As soon as they said that, I blurted out "No, that's a lie, I KNOW theres at least 3 more, I just can't pace their names right now". I probually embarrassed her in front of Master's wife, I can be so socially inept at times.

Which got Terri going, and the bet was on.

I get such little respect sometimes. Why people would NOT believe little old me over Lilly Lau is beyond my comprehension. She's only a world authority on Eagle Claw for Christs sake Ok Ok, I'm being Facisious (sp?), But still someone like Lilly Lau should no better than to make a claim like that, right?????

Royal Dragon

For the Women:

+ = & a