Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese armor

Chinese armor

Does anybody know of a website that has pictures and info on ancient chinese armor? The only thing I've found so far is samurai.
    Hope is the denial of reality.

We sail the seas, of negativity
    to banish kindness from this place
    (Sans scruples, sans humility)
    To behold the fierceness of wolves
    assailing ye saints thoroughly
    (Sans love, sans compassion)
    To behold the wails of thine in affright
    whilst evil preyeth upon thy hearts
    (Sans warmth, sans pity)
    To behold a world, darkly astir
    rising in madness and mystery
    (sans light, sans life)

The chinese use iron body conditioning as a substitute for steel.

No, the Chinese wore armor as well.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Once again Ego show's he is never afraid to expose his ignorance to the world.
    Any way back to the subject. From what I remember reading during the tang dynasty 618 AD to 907 AD the typical armour of the period was lamellar scale armour, which was a sort of long leather tunic covered with small squares of metal linked together.

http://alecmorris.topcities.com/armour.htm
    Last edited by alecM; 03-17-2002 at 09:00 AM.
    "Ira furor brevis est !"
    ====================;;;;<>
    I didn't want fries with that or even soda doesn't any one in this dam country ever listen.

Some of the higher nobles also wore jade armor--small squares of jade linked together like scales. I bet that was a beautiful armor to behold.
    K. Mark Hoover

I usually wear a hoody
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Talking

Ego, a grin would have made that funny. You need work on your comedy fu bro.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Ego wasn't trying to be funny. He likes to make fun of what he classes 'non-scientific' ideas in CMA.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

More Armor Sites

There really isn't that much available on the web about chinese armor. You will find more information on Mongol Armor and "Asian Armor" but little about Chinese per se.

There are several sites which discuss the Terra Cotta Warriors (about 200 bc - I THINK) and you can see a whole series of discussions on various Asian Armor types here:

Silk Road Armoury
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/3505/index.html

And some research was done here on a unique style of scale:
    www.armourarchive.org/essays/Shanwenkia.pdf

If you find other resources post them. I am always looking for more information.
    "The Wolf does not regard the barking dog"

On an interesting side note, I learned recently that Samurai wore silk for two reasons. The first was that it was comfortable in the heat, the second was that arrows often times didnt penetrate the silk so much as puch it into the wound. This allowed the samurai to pull on the silk and dislodge the arrow!

It wasn't just the Samurai. Many European soldiers did the same thing.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

I've also heard tales that some old Chinese warriors used to wear armor made of spider silk--extremely lightweight and practically impenetrable. Must've took a lot of spiders, though, to spin enough spidersilk to weave into wearable armor.

While I've heard this tale from time to time I've never actually seen any hard evidence that it's true. It'd be interesting if it were since spidersilk is one of the toughest natural fibers with high tensile strength ever made.
    K. Mark Hoover

The Mongols also wore silk to help stop arrows. Apparently the idea was that the arrowhead gets tangled up in the silk and so less damage is done, and the arrow could more easily be extracted if it penetrated.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Budokan

Yes, i've also heard of spiderman. So you're saying that they wear sticky skin tight suits of spider silk - oh how sexy. The armed forces wore armor. it is the southerners during the boxer rebellion who thought that iron body could stop bullets.

that's why the effect of iron body training is fake. If a person can genuinely stop a spear from piercing their thoat (without trickery) why then would they bother to wear amor?

Wrong, not Spiderman. Just go back to playing with your Transformers and leave KFO to the adults.
    K. Mark Hoover