Thread: The World Cup Sanshou tournament

The World Cup Sanshou tournament

I brought this up on the TreX Games thread, but it really needs it's own thread. I've heard rumor that China took 11 of the 12 golds and that some Americans did go - still following up on that.

Bich takes world gold in

Wushu martial artist Nguyen Thi Bich grabbed Vietnam’s only gold in the women’s sanshou (combat) 48kg category at the World Sanshou Cup in China on September 21.

Bich, 20, who won the gold medal in the same weight category last year, was in a class of her own in China totally dominating the event.

Vietnam, which sent seven athletes to the tournament, won seven medals -one gold, four silvers and two bronzes.

In this years’ sanshou tourney, 100 artists from 30 teams competed in 18 weight categories for men and women.

At the World Sanshou Cup in China in 2006, Bich pocketed a bronze medal in the 52kg class. (VNA)
    Sanshou in a burka - click for pic - this rocks!
    Iran wushu athlete enters final
    Sat, 20 Sep 2008 05:21:39 GMT
    Iran's female wushu athlete Razieh Tahmasbi has advanced to the final of the Fourth World Sanshou Cup tournament in Harbin, China.

Tahmasbi won a 2-0 victory over her Brazilian rival in the women's 56 kilogram category on Friday.

The Iranian athlete must now compete with her Chinese opponent who managed to beat the Russian entrant on the same day.

Iran's Farzaneh Dehqan took the bronze medal when she lost to her Chinese rival in the under 52 kilogram category.

Another Iranian Hamid-Reza Qolipour was also defeated 2-0 by his Chinese opponent in the under 80 kilogram class and will now meet another athlete for the silver medal.

The final matches are scheduled to be held on Saturday and Sunday.

Only the sanshou athletes who had qualified in the Ninth World wushu competition are allowed to participate in the three-day world sanshou competition September 19-21.

As many as 71 wushu masters from 26 countries and regions including Russia, Iran, Brazil, the Philippines, China and Macao SAR are participating in the biennial event.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up for Iranian women getting opportunities. Having had former Iranian MALE members of their team in my gym, I can tell you this is VERY NEW development

I think Max Chen and Sarah Ponce qualified for the cup, did they go?

China winning 11 out of 12 medals would not surprise me.... the cup is more corrupt than the worlds!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I was just trading emails with Max and Sarah

They didn't go. They went the Beijing. Wait until you read their reports on that, lkfmdc, you're going to love it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    They didn't go. They went the Beijing. Wait until you read their reports on that, lkfmdc, you're going to love it.
    post it here or email it to me, so I don't miss it!

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

sorry

gotta save some stuff for print. got a magazine to sell, you know.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

just tell us all what issue, you know, YOU MUST RUN OUT AND BUY THIS ISSUE< so I don't miss it

It'll be the Jan/FEb 2009 issue, on newsstands DEC 1

But I'm sure you'll find it quick. You picked up on the Cung Le piece super early. Kudos to you for that. Shoot, that post above was 5/22 and our on stand date for that issue was 6/5. Good on you!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

hey gene, any chance of getting your mag in China? Do you guys ship to China? Or can you (If I subscribe)?
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

We do offer overseas shipping...

...but I'll be honest with you, it's horribly expensive. Truth be told, we're just not set up for overseas magazine shipping. There's not much demand. We are in 40 countries, but again, truth be told, some of those countries only get like 10 issues. As for China, we're not there unless we're hand-carried there. There's not much market for us there - we're way too expensive for the Chinese newsstands and mag distribution is pretty tightly controlled by the Chicoms. The only issues that get over are the ones shipped privately, which is what I'd suggest for you. Get a friend that's stateside to subscribe and forward you the mags. That would be the best way for China.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i used to receive them from you guys back when i was in South Africa, and it went well for a while. Was expensive, but not that expensive. I dont have a credit card here, but converting money to USD isnt a problem in China (as it was back home).

I really want to keep up to date.

alternatively, I am studying at Wuhan Institute of Physical Education ... one of the schools who first started introducing San Shou sport to wushu (sport). I have access to some of the teachers here. What if I send you an article?? Hehe.. would that earn me a magazine or two?
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

If you want to send us an article...

...consult our GUIDELINES for Writers, Artists & Photographers first. And yes, I could work out a trade with submission for an overseas subscription. We love stuff that's straight outta China. Email me at Gene@KungFuMagazine.com and we can discuss possibilities for articles.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

lkfmdc

Sarah and Max's report on Beijing is in the Jan/Feb 2009 issue, on stands now.

Beijing in their own words: American Athletes Reflect on the Wushu Tournament Beijing By Elly Duchamp
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips