Thread: Mongol

Mongol

I fell asleep. During a fight scene, no less. But I've been pretty busy lately, burning the candle at both ends for the benefit.

For more on Mongol, see my SFIFF post.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

the clip shown on the site you linked looks good.

do you know, is there any other way to get our hands on this film if we are not able to see it at a film fest?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

It's going to have a national release...

...although it'll probably only be at major cities. It's all about 6/6/8 (not to be confused with 6/6/6 )

We'll have three unique martial arts films having national releases on 6/6:
    Mongol
    Kung Fu Panda
    The Foot Fist Way (This is tentative - it may be released this Friday...)

Mark your calendars. Three martial arts films being released in the middle of the summer rush? That's unprecedented. Every martial arts film fan should be out at the theaters that weekend to support one of these.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thanks for the info Gene.

Mongol looks like a good film to me. It must have been very trying to delve into what would have been the politcal workings of the old mongol nations. A great point made in the summary, being that Genghis Khan must have been great at promoting ideals and motivating men to have accomplished as much as he did. Rather than the normal depiction of simple barbarism and violence.

On a side note, Robert E. Howard did tons of historical fiction, some of it including the Hordes of Genghis, often dealing with Subotai. I always enjoyed the light Howard put the Genghis in, such as being a true leader of men, a crafty genious of warfare yet at the same time instilling the qualities of one born to the thrill of battle and horsemanship.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Check out our e-zine review

MONGOL: An Evolution to Reality by Dr. Craig Reid. This was posted Friday when it opened, but I was at the Zhang San Feng Festival.

Hmm, I seem to be repeating myself. Well, we had three martial arts-oriented films come out last Friday, and I'm still a little jet lagged....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

yeah i agree that the film looks pretty cool but i have a friend that is a documentary film maker and has done a lot of work in mongolia and he said that a lot of people are ****ed there bc of it. he didn't get in to too much detail but something about revisionist history and everyone being really offended that ghengis khan was played by a japanese man or something. i dunno.

i will more than likely still see it bc, like i said, it looks good.

and i totally agree about robert e. howard's take on things. that would make for an entertaining two hours of movie.