Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: FORBIDDEN KINGDOM: the movie

Malta too...

It's really all about the Reuter's vid...

Jet Li, Jackie Chan face off!

Two titans of the kung fu world Jet Li and Jackie Chan square off in China's most expensive film ever made.

Jet Li, born Li Lianjie in Beijing, started practicing the martial arts, or Wushu, when he was eight. He won several national championships as a teenager before he gained instant fame for his role in the 1982 China-made movie Shaolin Temple. He is now the most paid Chinese actor in Hollywood. Jackie Chan is arguably the most famous Chinese kung fu movie actor, famous for his comedy-style kung fu fighting. Starting a career from early 1970's, he has played roles in over 100 films.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

on the Q.T. i heard disney flipped when both jet and jackie started selling the film short. from what i'm hearing the action between jet li and jackie chan is good. but i hear that colin chou stole the show as the lead villian the jade warlord.

You probably read this in the announcements already...

...but it needs a place here too. We're giving away three more full-size lobby standee for the upcoming film Forbidden Kingdom. I just built one with our warehouse manager Manuel. We were going to put it in our lobby, but the powers that be think it's too big. Tiger Claw is doing a very special promotion for this historic film at four tournaments in March and April. Free posters will be available at the Tiger Claw Booth, where you can enter to win one of the lobby standees that will be on display at the event. These are the huge professional 12 x 8 x 2' standees that are usually reserved for major cineplex lobbies (fortunately they break down and can be folded up). One standee will be given away to a lucky winner at each of the following events:

2008 Santa Cruz Open, April 5th, at Aptos High School, Aptos, CA

16th Annual UC Berkeley Chinese Martial Arts Tournament, April 5th, Haas Pavilion on the UC Berkeley Campus, Berkeley, CA

Golden Gate Internationals, April 18th, at the Hyatt Regency, Santa Clara, CA

We already gave one away last weekend at the American Open 2008, at Cal State University, East Bay, Hayward, CA.

Thanks to to good people at Lionsgate for this very special promotion. Forbidden Kingdom opens in theaters everywhere on April 18th.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

this movie is going to be one of many, i'm sure. its gonna do real big numbers

THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM (new movie jet li and jackie chan)

Last edited by golden arhat; 03-12-2008 at 09:28 AM.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

This is going to be a sweet movie! Think I might just have to call into work sick
    -Me

It's going to suck, but I'll go see it anyway. It looks like a knockoff of that tv movie "The Lost Empire" and Stephen Chow's "A Chinese Odyssey I & II"
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 03-13-2008 at 10:37 AM.

its not really a knock off of those films. its just all those films including this deals with the same chinese legend and that is that of the monkey king. but in this one they actually journey to find the monkey king and return the staff. actually some inside info i heard the white kid tested extremely low in test screening and disney is trying to downplay him. which was reason of the sudden change of the trailer and if you see the official poster it only features jackie and jet. which work doubly as a marketing ploy to play up the fight between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    its not really a knock off of those films. its just all those films including this deals with the same chinese legend and that is that of the monkey king. but in this one they actually journey to find the monkey king and return the staff. actually some inside info i heard the white kid tested extremely low in test screening and disney is trying to downplay him. which was reason of the sudden change of the trailer and if you see the official poster it only features jackie and jet. which work doubly as a marketing ploy to play up the fight between the two.
    You have to admit that these movies have striking similarities. For instance, The Lost Empire is about a white guy that gets transported back to the past to help China’s future by rescuing the Monkey King. The Chinese Odyssey series is about the Monkey being killed for murdering the Tang Monk and reincarnating as a human bandit chief. He too later travels back in time and finds the cave that contains his cudgel and golden crown. When he places the crown on his head, he transforms into the Monkey King.

Jet Li is like Stephen Chow’s bandit chief as both are reincarnations of the Monkey King. Likewise, I imagine that Jet Li will transform into the Monkey King when he gets his staff back. All of the movies have a protagonist traveling back in time. The white kid from this movie (the superpowered Will Stronghold from “Sky High”) is like the white guy in The Lost Empire who is sent back in time to find the Monkey King to save the future.

The general vibe I get from comments left on the youtube trailers is that a lot of people are mad about a white, no-name actor with no prior martial arts training being cast in such a monumental movie. I'm a westerner and even I think it's stupid. On top of that, I think the wire-work looks horrible. But that won't stop me from seeing it. I'm willing to part with $8 just to see Jet and Jackie stomp on each other.

well like i said the subject matteris similar. and yeah people are ****ed at the white kid whose there for no freaking reason. if it was me i would've used a chinese kid who didn't give a **** about his culture and was totally american. i mean like i said the white kid tested really low so disney is trying to play up jet and jackie. i mean just look at the official poster the kids not even on it.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    well like i said the subject matteris similar. and yeah people are ****ed at the white kid whose there for no freaking reason. if it was me i would've used a chinese kid who didn't give a **** about his culture and was totally american. i mean like i said the white kid tested really low so disney is trying to play up jet and jackie. i mean just look at the official poster the kids not even on it.
    I think the white kid was placed in the story because the screenplay was written by John Fusco. He also wrote Young Guns I & II, Thunderheart, and Hidalgo.

I agree about the Chinese kid. At least use someone who has an actual connection to China. His adventures in ancient China would make him appreciate his heritage.

the chinese chick in it is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

my kids are liu yi fei fans, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoffer View Post
    I heard that rumor like a year before but I thought that someone's manager/agent/whatever came out and denied them as just rumours. IF this will ever happen it will be the greatest movie in history. Period
    Yeah, but I remember when "Twin Dragons" came out, which had 2 Jackie Chans...or even "Double Impact" which had 2 Jean Claude Vann Damme's.

They were sure recipes for success, but they lacked a certain je ne sais quoi.
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.

youtube remix marketing

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips