Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: TUF Season 4 question

I did plenty of forms, and did them pretty well, two years in a row I placed at the largest all chinese traditional national tournament (NACMAF)... behind the "big names" like Hung Stewart, Daniel Tamazaki and Jason Wong... and let me tell you, a waste of time... If I'd spent that time doing thai pads, or rolling, or sparring, maybe I would have been more than a B level amateur...
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Oh, so you say you suck then? I guess even you had to be your teacher's rice bag for a while until he gave you the REAL training. Gave you all those useless forms. Sad.

I'm saying that I'd be better if I didn't waste my time doing forms....

Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

No, your logic is flawed. You are basically saying that all the time he spent with you doing all that work amounted to nothing.

P.S. I beat tamazaki in 94. Its no biggy.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 10-23-2006 at 06:53 PM.

wow.

such vitriol towards the practice of tcma and it's methods.

ah well, that's all good, not everyone is down with it and it is what it is.

Not sure why th persistence to convince those of us who do still practice tcma. i think we've voiced our stuff and I think maybe you guys who are hard into dissing it might be in the wrong place for that?

you know, being trolls in essence because it's (i mean this place) is in context to that little logo up in the top left...remember?

I guess we're just too close minded to all your great methods...by the way, of which none of you has said anything about and none of you has anything to say about why forms are bad, just that they are bad, or stupid or useless but yet you can't define what is better about your way or worse about the kungfu way other than to relate it to an mma context.

care to do the logic on that for us boys?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Cleopatra, queen of denial

Dude, its so apparent you are desperate to believe that the forms you did and DO somehow aren't just a huge waste of time. Understandable on one level, but sort of sad

There are TONS of fighters who don't do forms at all.

There are TONS of forms champions who can't fight at all.... those who do both forms and some fighting NEVER stack up to those who just fight...

But believe whatever you want, it is still a free country

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post

P.S. I beat tamazaki in 94. Its no biggy.
    So, you're a good forms player, but the jury is out on your fighting ability....

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    The Xia
    No, Knifefigher is referring to a comment that the Gracies organized it in such as way as to give BJJ an edge. Might have been Green Cloud or David Jameison.

Actually the rules were a bit more relaxed in the early fights I think.

I agree with the opinion that most fighters just weren't prepared for an extensive ground game.

Green Cloud
    My youngest is 30. Now give me that old guy respect. :-)
    You got me, my hats off to you and because you are older than me maybe I'l give a call and take some advice from you. And BTW you already have my respect.

There are also tons of people who don't do forms and only do mma and suck at fighting. as it become a more popular pastime and falls into the realm of hobbyist, there will be even more mma-ers who absolutely suck at fighting.

being a fighter has nothing to do with training methods and talking in context to mma ring fighting doesn't give you much of a leg to stand on.

don't make us go "sammy franco" on your collective asses. lol with all the gutter talk about what if i did this or that followed by I would shoot you with my shotgun and then where's your frickin method got you or Ill cut you with my sword and then where's your mma or ill put my spear through your eye, where's your boxing anmd wrestliong gonna take you with a spear in your eye?. what a load.

you guys are really taking it to new depths. appreciate things for what they are and realize that what you know, compared to what there is to know is a trifle not worth mentioning and 100 years from now, you will be completely unknown, because your deeds are so far removed from your words.

This is just entertainment now...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

There are TONS of forms champions who can't fight at all.... those who do both forms and some fighting NEVER stack up to those who just fight...
    So again, At what point did you realize you were just bring strung along doing useless sets? Did you tell your teacher, "Hey, enough of these BS sets, they're useless!!"

Are your sets BS? Would concider the entire body of knowledge just useless?

I really don't know what you are *****ing about. I've said it before, forms work is a PART of the greater whole. What? You didn't hit a mit after your forms training?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    There are also tons of people who don't do forms and only do mma and suck at fighting. as it become a more popular pastime and falls into the realm of hobbyist, there will be even more mma-ers who absolutely suck at fighting.

Just to make sure this is strongly emphasised.

cjurakpt Guest
    My point is that i want to see what your fighting is like. It doesn't have to be recent. Anything will do.
    sorry, can't oblige, as what little I have is on VHS, and I don't have any convenient means of uploading it onto my computer; that, and i don't see how a video of me doing point-style sparring in 1989 (pre-TCMA days) is in any way relevant to this discussion...although it is pretty funny stuff (like where I side kick the guy square in the gut, and bounce off him off frame because it had no real power behind it, but I still get the point, because it was the ridiculous context that it was)

anyway, that's all i have right now; however, time permitting, I am going to try to go to some san shou classes at Mike Parella's school in the not too distant future, and if I do, I will try to remember to video tape it on my digital cam corder, which I think can upload stuff very easily

that said, I am guessing that no matter what, you will find some fault with how I spar, and attribute it to my opinions about form practice...but that's ok, I think I will somehow get over it

I really don't know what you are *****ing about. I've said it before, forms work is a PART of the greater whole. What? You didn't hit a mit after your forms training?
    The whole would be greater if the forms were not included.
    Generally, the better the forms dancer, the worse the fighter.

So, you're a good forms player, but the jury is out on your fighting ability....

Dude, you don't think the athleticism, strength, accuracy, flexability, speed, agility, and stability to do form work at that level has ANY baring on my abilities as a fighter? Dream on.

Dave you talk so much crap for somebody that climed into the ring and got thrown out.

I got an Idea, I wont fly to Elsagondo to fight Knife since he won't meet me half way but your close enough.

Instead of posting chalenges to fight a nice guy like Negron who is a graphic artist that doesn't have much MA ability how about you and me close the doors and go at it for a while. Oh and I'm willing to tape the fight.

Even though you are a fat pud the odds are even since I am recovring from hip surgery. BTW it will be taped those are my only terms and we can wear MMA gloves if you like.

Do you forget how many times I man handeld you on the floor when we sparred or is that what you still harboring inside of you.