Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Shou Shu - real or another made-up melange?

It was just that last painful

moment we were witnessing, before the truth sinks in.
    That's what con men rely upon, the denial of the victim who refuses to face the terrible truth that he has been played for a sucker.

I hope, for their sake, that your right.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

Look at this :O

I found something interesting here about sho shu...

It could be true and it would explain a lot of things.

Bwahahahahaha
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Last edited by turbo76; 06-02-2004 at 12:00 PM.

I thought you weren't coming back?

Seriously though, if the history doesn't matter to you then that is fine. It is good that you are happy with what you are learning, and ultimately that is all that matters.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Last edited by turbo76; 06-02-2004 at 12:01 PM.

I am not trying to be rude or confrontational, but are you seriously not bothered by the fact that the style's history as told to you by your teachers is probably made up? It doesn't make you question their honesty?

Last edited by turbo76; 06-02-2004 at 12:01 PM.

A Google search of Shou Shu only turns up links to Al Moore's school. Even the most obscure of styles at least shows up more than one reference on the internet.

Though you seem to discount it, there are actually a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum. I would be fairly confident that if there was no-one here that believed the story then there is a pretty good chance that it is bogus.

How much research outside of your school's resources have you done?

I dunno, as I said - if it really doesn't matter to you then don't worry about it. I just know that if I found out that the story being spun to me by my teacher was false, it would really call into question anything he tells me.

Last edited by turbo76; 06-02-2004 at 12:02 PM.

if the history doesn't matter to you then that is fine. It is good that you are happy with what you are learning, and ultimately that is all that matters.
    But doesn't honesty and integrety count for anything? All the signs point to the "Da Sifu" being a liar, plain and simple. What he teaches may be pretty good, but personally I wouldn't want to be around something like that. In the martial arts, the students tend to look up to their teacher like a young child would a parent, or how a religious person would their priest. Now, if a teacher is dishonest enough to lie to the public about their background in order to gain more students, then odds are that lack of moral character is going to bleed through in other ways too. Usually this results in a cult like defence of their teacher no matter what, not wanting to believe they've been taken for suckers, or this man/woman that they look up to could be this dishonest. In the end they become liars too, whether they realize it or not.

Last edited by turbo76; 06-02-2004 at 12:02 PM.

I agree with you Brad, but if he won't be convinced that the story is inaccurate then all that really matters is that he is happy with what he is learning - don't you agree? I don't think we achieve anything by continuing to bash his school, all we can do is encourage him to research it for himself, and maybe help him out in the research. You and I are convinced that the story is inaccurate, but turbo76 is not and the only way he will be convinced is if he finds out for himself.

Now if he won't put in the effort to find out for himself, then there really isn't anything else we can do. And ultimately, is it really our place to convince him?

Originally posted by turbo76
    nah, wont judge him without prof. he used to teach and has help people save their own lives, i wont call him a lier if i dont know.
    Proof goes 2 ways - we can try to prove that the claims are false, but you can also try and verify the tructh of the story.